Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halaeva

Propagation question

halaeva
13 years ago

Hi Everyone.

I wonder, if it is not to late for Hibiscus Moscheutos propagation by rooting stem cuttings in the ground.

I usualy do this in August.Now I have rooted one,seats in the ground and leafing.I would like to propagate the one my friend grows and offers me one big stem.

Thanks.I would appreciate any advice.

Hala

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

It is rather late, but it may be all right. I'd try to do it in a rather protected place near the house so it has a chance too root before the ground freezes and I'd mulch it good as soon as it does freeze a bit. You can always move later

The best time however would be in the spring if you can get the cutting then

• halaeva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oilpainter.
    Thank you for your answer.I will put some cuttings into the ground.I could root inside; in water,or rooting media and pot them when they are rooted.Let them grow and wait until Spring.But I had very busy growing season and I am terrible tired,looking for the easiest way of propagation.Moscheutos emerges from the ground very late and in late Spring there is nothing yet to propagate except sowing and dividing.
    I appreciate your reply greatly.
    Hala.

• canadian_daisy
    13 years ago

As an aside, what is your method for rooting a cutting in the ground? Do you cover it with an inverted jar to create a greenhouse environment? How long does it take to root?

Just wondering if I'm doing it correctly as my success rate with cuttings is less than 50%.

Would appreciate your input.

• halaeva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is my method:
    I cut 3/4-1 inch in diameter bare stem into 10-12" long pieces,slicing a lower and of each piece at 45 degree angle below a node, and cut straigh accross the stems upper end 1/2-1 inch above a node. Then I deep the bottom of the cutting in rooting hormone and insert it in a moist,but not saturated soil 5"-6" deep, in a dappled shade, uncovered, no jar ,plastic etc. Rooting accurs within 5-6 weeks and leaves start groving. That is it.

• canadian_daisy
    13 years ago

I'll give it a try. I hope this technique will work with a bur oak which I've been trying to propagate all summer.
    Thank you Hala.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

canadian daisy, I have a large bur oak in my back garden. It is usually propagated from planting the acorns. Try to find a tree in your area and plant several of the acorns in the ground. Some of them should germinate in the spring.

• canadian_daisy
    13 years ago

Hi ontnative, the bur oak is my own which I'm trying to propagate. Right now the acorns are still green, should I wait for them to ripen or can I go ahead and plant them right now?

• ianna
    13 years ago

canadian daisy, be prepared to overwinter your propagations in a cold frame. It's something you can create with 4 sides made of wood or styrofoam or even hay bales and covered with glass or plexiglass. Also cover the plants with mulch to keep them alive in winter.