Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A question about composting

Posted by sdraza1 Toronto (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 21:34

Topic of composting is little confusing. I read some articles which say young weeds and grass cutting (green stuff) contain nitrogen and dead weeds and plants contain carbon (brown stuff). How can a live plant contains mainly nitrogen and dead one carbon.

Any how my actual question is that can't I bury the recommended portions of both brown and green stuff in soil and they will turn into compost instead of making a pile of them or doing so in a composter. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A question about composting

The folks over at the Soil, Compost & Mulch forum will give you the best answers to your questions

o

I do think you need up over think this. Composting is easy. Just layer green and brown layers and turn the material over every now and then. Worms will do the rest of the job. Their poo will actually make the soil even richer. The bacteria will also do the rest of the job. Watch out for mice that make their nests in undisturbed piles.

Ive done many methods of composting BTW - burying the material and also piing them in a composter or just piling them. regular mixing will help decompose the material faster because of the oxygen. Itès also important to wet your compost pile just in case it gets too heated up that it may burn.

o

Sorry.. I'm short sighted and unfortunately, did not read my response thoroughly. I had meant to say that you need not have to over think the process of composting. Just follow the formula of brown and green layering and mixing things up every now and then. It's the bacteria and earthworms that will do the job. Once you have made a pile that is tall enough, start another pile. After a few months, the first pile should be ready to use. Another form of composting is the lasagna method which is to bury the material in the ground and then plant directly beside it. As the plant matter decomposes, the live plants benefit from this. (however one does have to think about creatures it may attract that can be detrimental to the live plant. )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here