Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winterizing a Mum

Posted by nico6196 Z5a (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 18, 08 at 21:41

I just planted a mum in my garden and I hear that they need alot of care to get them to survive a winter after a fall planting. Any suggestions on what to do to better my chances of it surviving?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winterizing a Mum

I have a mum described to be winter hardy. It did okay without extensive protection. However if you are concerned, just do as you would protect tender hardies. Do not hardprune, leave as much branches and foliage on the plant and mulch heavy. The branches and the mulch will provide steady temperatures to the plant.

ianna

o

Most mums will survive with limited protection. However, they need pruning and pinching over the summer to look good in the fall. They can get rangy looking if not pinched.

I treat my mums like annuals -- they are inexpensive.

o

In the summer it's fine to prune. But don't prune in the fall so it will survive winter. The foliage and branches act like mulch and will help keep the roots alive during the cold season.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 9, 08 at 9:06

Good advice, ianna. I am thinking that this year, because there is a wind tunnel on the side of the house where the mums are, that I would build a little wooden box or some sort of plastic ring to fit around the sides of the mum plant, and then fill with leaves. Of course, it would be open on the top, but it would provide a leaf and snow trap, so it doesn't get overly exposed. I would do this for all 11 plants.

Any thoughts?

o

jroot, you sure don't mind to work.

I have purchased a good number of the field grown Mums this year, and have them just now making a pleasant entrance to my front steps

Am going to though, unpot them after Thanksgiving and put them directly into the garden.

So you say, folks, not to cut them back just leave the flowers etc. on and mulch.

If they make it good and if not, well that is how it goes

Sure are some nice colours nowadays.

I love those chrysanthemums that one used to see more so, at least from a florist with the bigger kind of curved petal balls

Last time I saw them growing, was at Minter Gardens in B.C.
One of my favourite places as is Brian Minter a favourite person

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here