Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Willow troubles

Posted by Jumper zone 6/ B.C. (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 05 at 21:44

I have a few willows in trouble. To begin with I have a few young ones an inch to an inch and a half diameter with a soft woody growth at the bottom. It is bulbous and when I poke it and gently turn my shears the wood gives way readily, releasing moisture. It is right at the root flare, on the top of those roots, almost into the soil. It reminds of the damage a wood borer would do to a pine but no maggot, less goo, more wood. I have some slightly older willows that I think might have canker. A series of black spots on the trunk that slowly expand and seem to kill in peices? Anything to do? Finally I have corckscrew willows dying back from the tips into the branches with nothing on the trunks with the same black colour. Help.
P.S I got lost and might have posted this in another site, sorry if you are reading this twice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Willow troubles

The one with the growth at roots sounds like it might be crown gall (caused by a bacteria that causes galls to form). If that's what it is, it's a pretty serious problem that will likely result in the death of the tree. There isn't any treatment that I'm aware of. I've read of a biological control that works as a preventative, but I believe it doesn't help infected trees (I have no idea if it's available in Canada). The usual recommendation is to remove any infected plant and do not replant for at least two years.

I know that there are several sorts of cankers that can affect willows, but many of them can be controled by pruning and proper watering and fertilizing. Cankers usually only occur on stressed or injured trees - if you do have a crown gall problem it could be the cause of the stress.

BP

o
RE: Willow troubles

I have just been informed by my neighbor (a certified arborist), that my weeping willow is dying from an infection - but it was a quick conversation and I can't remember the scientific name he said. I also don't see him much b/c he travels. It presents just as jumper describes his tree and the rec was to remove the tree and all infected parts, then decide whether I wanted to leave the space empty or treat with a chemical that requires a license to even get.

Here's my question:

As the willow is centered 10-15 feet from other well-established screens and ornamentals, and I don't want to cause them damage - Can I just get rid of the illness and wait a few years or do I have to put down the chemicals to be sure that my other babies don't get sick, too?

Thanks for your input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here