Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cestrum nocturnum

Posted by Las_Palmas_Norte Zone8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 20, 05 at 21:57

This native of the West Indies (Cestrum nocturnum) doesn't look like much as it's about to bloom. BUT ... the powerfull fragrance is astonishing in the night time hours. This plant fills our half acre property with it's sweet tropical fragrance during this time of year.
If you can find one, buy it!

Cheers, Barrie.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cestrum nocturnum

Barrie
How long have you had yours ? I have some 2 and 3 year old
plants that don't look like they're going to bloom this year either.

o

I got this one last year as a small plant. It's flowered each year around September to early October. It's long out grown it's pot and I'm wondering how much taller than 5 feet it would be, if I'd have given the roots more space?
They need a fair amount if water and fertilizer and in all likelyhood need to be grown outdoors. Is yours outside?

Cheers, Barrie.

o

I can see my plants are probably lacking in the feeding department. They stay out in summer and come indoors in winter. You don't keep yours out all winter, do you ?

o

It's not indoors as such, a cool (40F- 50F) 5C - 10C with about 7 hrs of light during winter (Late Nov - Mid Feb.).
Then it's back out for more fresh air and the subsequent seasons. Low water during winter and I cut back the longest branches.

Cheers, Barrie.

o

• Posted by pha52m 8/Vancouver (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 28, 05 at 3:34

Hi folks
If the fragrance of your night jasmine is too much Do you know how to stop it?Very simple.Just turn on the light.In the presence of light the plant will stop producing its perfume.No wonder its common name is night jasmine.I happen to own a cestrum nocturnum from India Its bloom is bright red.I don't know if someone else got this too Cheers
Huong Pham

o

Well I haven't got to the stage where the fragrance is too much, considering I haven't got mine to bloom yet. Is your red one as fragrant as the white, and if it is, would
you have rooted cuttings to trade ?

o

Bright Red...sounds interesting! Maybe someday I'll come across one and buy it. For the record, mine is very heavily laiden with yellow blooms.

Cheers, Barrie.

o

hello, can anyone tell where i can find Cestrum nocturnum or the indian Nyctanthes arbor-tristis plants in or around austin,tx area. Also if available online through a reputable seller. Thanks

o

Hello, I am new at participating in Forums. I live in Ottawa were the gardening season is short. My wife and I bought a place 3 years ago and have been gardening like creazy. Being originaly from the Mediterranean region of the world we planted various plants that reminded me of back home and that were hardy here(Lavender, Wisteria,Trumpet Vine...). Those too fragile to survive our harsh winter, I have in pots indoor during the winter and bring them out during the summer (Various Citrus Fruit Trees, Fig Tree, Jasmine plant). I am desperatly looking to purchase a Cestrum Nocturnum and can't find any plant nursury who has it where I live or around (Montreal, Toronto...). Any help in would be greatly appreciated! I know the plant very well and can remember the sweet sweet smell it can produce. So like Mr. Machismo77 in the message above I need help. Thank you.

o

That cestrum looks like it's cuttings will root easily. Has anyone tried? I have the cestrum elegans and it's cuttings root in a few weeks.

Check-out "My Page" for instructions on how to do that.

I've also mailed rooted cuttings across Canada with quite a bit of success.

o

alhambra,

I have a night-scented jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) I got from Sage Garden Herbs in Winnipeg, MB from which you can order online (link attached). They are a small operation which specializes in organically-grown herbs and exotic plants, and they will ship live plants (within Canada) until October. Owners and staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sage Garden Herbs - Jasmine varieties

o
Cestrum nocturnum

I got few of these shrubs, they are ecxelent. In the summer I leave them outside, and if it is chilly at night and can not sit in the backyard, I take the shrubs with me inside the house where it makes it smell like heaven. We call it in Palestine Queen of the Night of Qadir Night.

o

Is there anyone in Ontario Canada with plants for sale? or anybody in Canada that will ship ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here