Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
las_palmas_norte

Cestrum nocturnum

Las_Palmas_Norte
18 years ago

This native of the West Indies (Cestrum nocturnum) doesn't look like much as it's about to bloom. BUT ... the powerfull fragrance is astonishing in the night time hours. This plant fills our half acre property with it's sweet tropical fragrance during this time of year.

If you can find one, buy it!

Cheers, Barrie.

{{gwi:541947}}

Comments (13)

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Barrie
    How long have you had yours ? I have some 2 and 3 year old
    plants that don't look like they're going to bloom this year either.

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got this one last year as a small plant. It's flowered each year around September to early October. It's long out grown it's pot and I'm wondering how much taller than 5 feet it would be, if I'd have given the roots more space?
    They need a fair amount if water and fertilizer and in all likelyhood need to be grown outdoors. Is yours outside?

Cheers, Barrie.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

I can see my plants are probably lacking in the feeding department. They stay out in summer and come indoors in winter. You don't keep yours out all winter, do you ?

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's not indoors as such, a cool (40F- 50F) 5C - 10C with about 7 hrs of light during winter (Late Nov - Mid Feb.).
    Then it's back out for more fresh air and the subsequent seasons. Low water during winter and I cut back the longest branches.

Cheers, Barrie.

• pha52m
    18 years ago

Hi folks
    If the fragrance of your night jasmine is too much Do you know how to stop it?Very simple.Just turn on the light.In the presence of light the plant will stop producing its perfume.No wonder its common name is night jasmine.I happen to own a cestrum nocturnum from India Its bloom is bright red.I don't know if someone else got this too Cheers
    Huong Pham

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Well I haven't got to the stage where the fragrance is too much, considering I haven't got mine to bloom yet. Is your red one as fragrant as the white, and if it is, would
    you have rooted cuttings to trade ?

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bright Red...sounds interesting! Maybe someday I'll come across one and buy it. For the record, mine is very heavily laiden with yellow blooms.

Cheers, Barrie.

• machismo77
    18 years ago

hello, can anyone tell where i can find Cestrum nocturnum or the indian Nyctanthes arbor-tristis plants in or around austin,tx area. Also if available online through a reputable seller. Thanks

• alhambra
    16 years ago

Hello, I am new at participating in Forums. I live in Ottawa were the gardening season is short. My wife and I bought a place 3 years ago and have been gardening like creazy. Being originaly from the Mediterranean region of the world we planted various plants that reminded me of back home and that were hardy here(Lavender, Wisteria,Trumpet Vine...). Those too fragile to survive our harsh winter, I have in pots indoor during the winter and bring them out during the summer (Various Citrus Fruit Trees, Fig Tree, Jasmine plant). I am desperatly looking to purchase a Cestrum Nocturnum and can't find any plant nursury who has it where I live or around (Montreal, Toronto...). Any help in would be greatly appreciated! I know the plant very well and can remember the sweet sweet smell it can produce. So like Mr. Machismo77 in the message above I need help. Thank you.

• jimmyjojo
    16 years ago

That cestrum looks like it's cuttings will root easily. Has anyone tried? I have the cestrum elegans and it's cuttings root in a few weeks.

Check-out "My Page" for instructions on how to do that.

I've also mailed rooted cuttings across Canada with quite a bit of success.

• prairie_girl
    16 years ago

alhambra,

I have a night-scented jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) I got from Sage Garden Herbs in Winnipeg, MB from which you can order online (link attached). They are a small operation which specializes in organically-grown herbs and exotic plants, and they will ship live plants (within Canada) until October. Owners and staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sage Garden Herbs - Jasmine varieties

• palestine
    12 years ago

I got few of these shrubs, they are ecxelent. In the summer I leave them outside, and if it is chilly at night and can not sit in the backyard, I take the shrubs with me inside the house where it makes it smell like heaven. We call it in Palestine Queen of the Night of Qadir Night.

• sweet_mamat
    10 years ago

Is there anyone in Ontario Canada with plants for sale? or anybody in Canada that will ship ?