and how about

bargains

must be someone getting some real deals on marked down plants by now

Come on Canada

lets have some news

Comments (12)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Well out here in B.C. where I am we've had the worst spring in recorded history. We missed out on spring completely, but summer finally arrived in August. It was a beautiful month weather wise, we missed out on the usual 2 weeks of really hot (for us) temps we usually get for which I am very grateful.

We haven't had a good tomato year since 2009, but I did manage to get a few with more still to come. I grow a lot of heirloom beans my latest addiction, this year I started most of them in the greenhouse planting them out when they had their true leaves, they would have rotted if direct planted this year with all the rain we had. Most are finished now and I have my seed collected for next year's crop. Lettuce was good, for the first time my garlic was a bust, cucumbers are coming but they're late.

Most of the perennials and shrubs seemed to have loved our cooler weather tho' especially the weeds and that %$#&* couch grass. I still have a few michaelmas daisies left, I had quite a collection but I've lost most of them due to two VERY wet winters.

I think this forum is slower because it covers ALL of Canada and we don't relate to each others growing conditions, we only relate to things in general, I'd love to see more action here too.
    I hang out on the Cottage Garden Forum, Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum and the Northwestern most of the time as this is where my interests lie.

Annette

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I suppose that is so, the term Canadian gardening is broad.
    Yet, I enjoy seeing the title in print.

There sure are a lot of us gardening, and many areas of interest for sure
    I didn't realize B.C. has had a lot of rain Guess it depends on the area as I know the Okanagan, where I used to live and much enjoy, has been quite dry.

Expect some things have benefited from the rain. How about Hydranges theys seem to love lots and lots of water
    Annette don't you grow Brugmansia as well They might like all the rain. Seems water is something they can not get enough of but like sunshine as well

I was thinking it is interesting in my own flower beds, that I hardly get any weeds whatsoever Was actually thinking about that today

I have several garden beds. Six I guess SOme have very rich deep soil, others just common ordinary and even dry beds. But do not seem to get weeds much at all and when I do I mostly get them out when just little

I did have some dandelions in the lawn but went around digging them out mostly with a little knife.
    Sounds like I have to much time to spend in the garden, maybe

Well, I take the time, but I am getting to be like the old grey, (although I am not grey) mare. Slow to get the work done.

I have done a lot of digging and hard landscaping on my own, at this house, where I have lived the past five years. Looking good but was a lot of work Should perhaps have stuck to knitting and shopping and sipping wine etc.

Love to see more Brugmansia and Dahlia photos from Canada

Rambling along
    On e last thing My youngest daughter Grace, getting married next week and off to Paris France for amonth holiday. Nice time of year to travel in Europe or anywhere.

Off the gardening topic, but I am delighted that she found herself such a fine young lad to share her life
    You know how it is

• ljpother
    12 years ago

I follow the Far North, Cottage, and Vegetable forums. That covers Canadian and US zones. If you want to keep the forum active, post. Most of us will respond to posts of interest.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Diane, the Brugs I still have are in the form of cuttings, I tossed the old plants they were taking up too much room in the greenhouse come winter. I still grow a couple of dozen fuchsia and begonia baskets each year but not the huge collections I used to have.

Time is marching on, this golden oldie 'with' grey hair has been cutting back on things not permanently planted out. Last week I was out welding a crowbar, took a piece of dry stone wall out so I could put in a step, I'm not as limber as I once was :(.

I'm working on the bed this rock wall surrounds, we're having an old ornamental cherry tree taken down, this in turn will let the afternoon sun into what has been a very shady bed, some things will have to be moved, like a large ligularia for instance.
    It's going to be a wait and see for things like lily of the valley and ladies mantle, whether they can stay or not they have formed a nice groundcover that doesn't need much attention.

OT, we just welcomed our third great grandchild into the family this summer, this one a boy :). Getting married young does have it's rewards.

Annette

• Crafty Gardener
    12 years ago

I'm busy digging lots of volunteer plants that sprout up in the garden and I'm sharing them with others in my local area via Freecycle.
    I had a good crop of small tomatoes but they are just about finished. I've been getting wonderful field tomatoes from the farmers market and roadside stands and have froze a o lot for casseroles, soups and stews in the colder months.
    I update on a regular basis on my blog and have a network of others from Ontario and across Canada that share gardening info.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette

getting married, young, was good I agree
    I am 67 and my kids 47, 45, 41 and 38.
    Four grandchildren
    My kids did not follow suit, and marry young The 45 and 38 marrying each for the first time in , one in September the other October of this year the other two did marry but not til mid 20's
    Off the subject
    Well you are a hard working person as many gardeners are
    I should like to have more of the labour work done for me but find it to expensive mostly and just undertake to do my own
    Have saved myself thousands of dollars but have worn out a knee and so limp around

I think though, one who loves their property, as well likes to do your own work
    I go out most everyday just to have a look around and admire what I have accomplished.
    It is for sure satisfying.

My gardens I believe look their best in September, October. Roses are blooming for second time Hydrangeas are gorgeous, toad lilies I love and they look so attractive. In one bed I have a lot of the Russian Sage, and looking , in my front garden bed as passerbys do, it is eye catching.

I have an entire long row (60 plus feet) of Rose of Sharon in different colours that has been blooming now for almost a month Still lots of blooms on the plants Will bloom til frost here.
    I think it was a good summer for gardens in Ontario Hope we don't ge frost for awhile

Same for me Annette I can no longer bring in over winter the huge tubs of tropicals, including Brugmansia that I used to bring in.
    I must get doing photos though Would look so good for others to see my garden and I would enjoy to see what you all have growing as well
    Silly it is not to get going with the photography of ones own garden

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I mostly visit the Winter Sowing Forum because I have that addiction!! But I have not been on any forums recently because I was awaiting cataract surgery. I had the first one done ten days ago and the difference in my sight is astounding. So I am doing the rounds again - it's almost 4:00 a.m. and I am enjoying visiting all the forums that I used to.

This year, I did quite a bit of vegtable gardening, and am very pleased with my produce, some of which I have been having with my dinners very often. For example today I made a stir-fry with green beans, okra, peppers all from the garden. I added sage, parsley, basil, and green onions from my herb garden and a hot chilli pepper from my pepper garden and that really spiced it up. Only bought items were onions, garlic (from the garlic festival here in Carp) and some mushrooms. Of course I added a chopped tomato as well. You just can't beat the flavour of fresh veggies.

I grew two new heirloom tomatoes (Uncle Joe and Earliana) which have been very productive and early as promised. My hubby chose Giant Tomato, which is producing larger toms. but started later. I am still harvesting cucumbers, my butternut squash have turned tan, and will be ready in a few days; I am still harvesting zucchini and freezing bread; making apple pies, and will have a heaping crop of hot peppers for making hot pepper sauce. The chillies and cayenne are mostly red, and the other potted ones are turning. Most of my flowers are done but there are a few now coming into their own: cosmos, four o'clocks; glads; Helianthus "Golden Queen" - a monstrous ten feet; Gaillardia and Buddleia still going, and Yvonne's Salvia just starting. The hanging baskets of petunias still look quite good. In the front there are Wine Cup, Baloon Flowers, zinnias, and of course impatiens for colour.

Wow, I didn't realize how much I had in my yard until I started writing it down. I saved a bunch by wintersowing and starting seeds under lights indoors. The garden is a lot of work, but I love being outdoors, and it is relaxing, a good source of exercise, and most of all it is peaceful. At this stage in my life, I have now found out what I want to be when I grow up - a horticulturist. Life is good.

• ianna
    12 years ago

northerner,

My 79 year old father is about to undergo cataract surgery and my mother will also undergo one the following month. Both live with me. Do you have any advise on what's ahead for them? I know they shouldn't lift any heavy objects or bend down.

Dianne, apologies for not posting a lot this season. I'm mostly in the Cottage section. This summer too has been very busy because we went off to a cottage, had visitors, went to the amusement parks, took my daughter (age 9) to go zip lining among the trees north of my area, and we also went canoeing and camping for a few days in the Algonquins, went to the Ex which is a 100+ year old faire in Toronto, went to the US... phew. As you can see I've not been able to spend as much time in the garden except to do some photography. My front yard btw received a recognition sign from our local horticultural society. I didn't nominate myself so one of my neighbors must have done it. That felt good.

Ianna

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

It has been a very busy summer at our house also. Sadly the gardens have suffered. I tried to dig out some very aggressive milkweed that had taken over the garden in front of my front porch. The milkweed is now growing up and looking quite healthy again!! :( I hated to try and dig it out as it was the source of a lot of monarch eggs that we brought in and raised, but it was choking out everything else. I have lots of other much tamer milkweed in the back yard gardens.
    The heat and humidity also kept me from spending too much time out tending the gardens, along with the monster mosquitoes. They zero in on me whenever I go outside. Wish I knew why they seem to only like me! :) I still have some plants that need to get in the ground. I have some that I specifically got for the front garden after I got the milkweed out, but I think that I am going to have to put down some cardboard so that it will smother over the winter and then I can start fresh in the spring.
    Finally had my kitchen renovated....something I have been dreaming about for years. I absolutely love it. The place we chose to do it understood exactly what I wanted and they did a fabulous job.
    My DH is scheduled to have cataract surgery on Oct. 4 (left eye) and the right eye done on Oct.12. While he is having the cataracts removed, he has also chosen to have corrective laser surgery so he can get rid of his glasses. The doctor says he is fairly young for cataract surgery, so not sure if that has anything to do with the fact that the doctor says it will be about a two day healing process for each eye....no patches or stitches, or if that is just because of the laser.
    The girls are back in school (the two DGDs that live with us) and it is quiet once again during the day. :) They are 15 and 11. Seems that the house (and the pool) was filled with friends all summer, but that is okay with me! :)
    Enjoyable to hear what is going on with you all. Northerner, good to hear that your cataract surgery went well and has been successful.
    Diane, a nice time of the year for a wedding and a honeymoon---especially one in Paris for a month!! :)
    Annette, I have lots of brugs and didn't get most of them in the ground this year. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of some although I have a very easy way of overwintering cuttings, I just think I need to simplify my gardens.Congrats on the new addition. :)
    craftygardener, I just finished giving away a huge amount of rose of sharon on our local 'fullcircle', and still have lots left. I think I will be putting them by the road with a 'free' sign.
    Ianna, congrats on the recognition. Your neighbours must appreciate you. :)

• sheryl_ontario
    12 years ago

Everyone is so busy in the summer. It's hard to post.

I like your blog, Craftygardener! I, also, have a country living/gardening/self sufficiency blog.

I have been very busy landscaping here and expanding the gardens to grow more veggies next year. Also expanding the flower gardens this year. Lots of work!

I installed a small tire garden, just to try it. Mostly for invasive herbs like mints.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• Crafty Gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Sheryl, I really enjoyed reading through your blog.
    I'd be interested to know how the tire garden worked for the invasive herbs.

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nicde we have a bit of newsy info about some of us
    I love fall in the garden
    In my garden at least
    The Dahlias always look terrific and Rose of Sharon.
    I as well had lots of seedlings to give away of the Rose of Sharon and wound up digging some under. That ssure is one good looking no maintenance plant to have I have a row of them various colours along my driveway One side has the driveway , the other a fence behind the row of Rose of Sharon Soil is not even anything special Yet they thrive.

I was lucky last year I suppose your might say.
    I have a number , maybe 20 at least of large containers that I have planted. Some with dahlias, Cannas, some arums, calla lilies and I stick in a few annuals which reseed and come up as well Some pots as well last year, with chrysanthemums (sp)
    At any rate my son helps put the pots indoors in my sort of windowed back porch. He does it on his own and sometimes just rushed to put them in doors and some he last year put in the garage.
    I had left for Florida and did not look in the garage. Some pots had prize Dahlias that I had for years and they where lost But other pots had these chrysanthemums and gladiola.
    I was kind of annoyed when I came back from the south and there some of my Dahlias I knew would be finished. Aarums where in one of the pots and they survived.
    I put the pots out at any rate and didn't have or take time to tidy up the pots, well not all of them
    Next thing I knew the chrysanthemums where coming up They survived overwinter in the garage with no water until beginning of May
    I left them in the pots, other stuff that had been in the pots died, but those pots, three of them, large pots have themselves covered in flower and look terrific even now mid October in Barrie Ontario

I was thinking I am going to look around at my neigbhours home on garbage day and watch for people throwing out their pots of chrysanthemums, which they do and pick them up and put them in a large, huge pot that I have prepared already in the garage with fresh dirt and see if they will survive as well Then could put them out in my garden next spring Not cost anything to try this idea.
    Guess we are all busy just now with garden etc.
    I find I just am slower with getting things done.
    Enjoy the work but just getting darn slow in having it all done Still not got fall clean up finished.
    but the gardens look rather nice. Did close up my two ponds but am leaving the fish in there hoping this year they survive Just cheap goldfish that I bought this spring Some years they survive, other years not.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting