Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jiorji

Nasturtium - can tehy live indoors over winter?

jiorji
15 years ago

well that time of the year is coming up soon and i have to take my balcony plants inside.

My Nasturtium are still doing well and I was wondering if i can transfer them from the planters and bring them inside and keep them alive over winter and then take them back out again in the spring.

Can that be done??

Comments (9)

• ianna
    15 years ago

In short the answer is no. They don't do well and will likely die due to some disease such as fungus.

this plant is an outdoor plant, loves sunlight and long days,lots of fertilizers, good moisture but not too wet. So unless you have a warm greenhouse with good lighting, good air circulation, it's probably not going to survive.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

also, the seeds are inexpensive (depending on whom you buy from) and easy to grow. And they don't take all summer before they bloom either.

• ianna
    15 years ago

Dear everyone,

It is rather disheartening to have to see our gardens die down for the winter. But actually you do have some options - there are some plants that can be brought in for the winter. A favorite example is the plumbago. Beautiful light blue flowers. These can be potted and trained up a trellis. It's tropical and although it may begin to look ugly when it goes into semi hibernation, it still will recover by spring and look good. What else can we bring in for the winter? Don't forget the calla lily. Also you can bring in Coleus- although I expect it will eventually lose it's leaves, but if watered properly, given good lighting, it will remain alive and come back fully by spring.

Anyone else with some suggestions on plants you can bring in?

ianna

• bonniepunch
    15 years ago

Nasturtiums are definitely not worth the effort (they are beautiful this late in the season though!), but you can probably collect some seeds from them for next year. Even if you keep them alive all winter, they will look really bad, they'll get long and leggy and the plant will be too stressed in the spring to grow well. Best to start new seeds next year.

I always have good luck keeping coleus looking nice for the winter, but I have to watch for spider mites. I also keep my begonias going. I try to keep all my grasses, but I don't have as much luck with them. Geraniums are fairly easy to keep growing and flowering. Some vining plants like ivy and ornamental sweet potatoes are easy to overwinter indoors, but watch for those pesky spider mites!

I also have a jasmine plant, a monster hibiscus, banana plants, a dwarf pommegranate, a bouganvilla, and a ton of other traditional houseplants that summer outdoors.

BP

• intercosmicpyroclasm_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Nasturtium can easily be kept indoors over the winter, one need only to put it under at least a 65w cfl (which are available commercially and have a medium base for use in standard sockets) and leave the light on above the plant (say six inches off) for a minimum of 18 hours a day, with sufficient mass the plant with still produce some flowers all winter. I often like to produce perennial bundles which I winter indoors in growing clumps under various grow lights. Besides, it's worth remembering that in South America Nasturtium is a perennial and is simply grown as an annual in temperate climates, I've seen superior development in the production of nectar within the flowers in plants that were several years old. Another thing to consider is your particular plant, if it has a shade or taste that is especially good, then allowing it to die and sowing the seeds costs you a good strain, best to preserve it. And just remember to cut the plant back to maintain manageability and root pruning is a necessity for size control and continued plant prosperity.

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

I see this is an old posting but interesting

I have a front garden bed along the sidewalk of the road in front of my house

Is about ten feet wide by sixty feet

And this is its third year in existence

I put in first year some shrubs at the end of the gardening season bought some at 75% off sort of idea

Different ones to see how they might do.
    As well moved several perenials from other garden beds into this new bed, just experimenting with what would do well in the bed, and with little care as I do not want to spend much time watering etc and yet being in the front of my house, it needs to look good

That first spring, I put in I think three packages of Nasturtium seeds. Right along the front of the bed and along the sidewalk
    Well by mid summer and up until frost they where just gorgeous Filled in the entire front of the bed. Show stoppers So many people when I was outside stopped to comment on how nice the flower bed looks

But it was the Nasturtiums stealing the show
    Chopped them all down when frost hit but did not discard the plants rather chopped them up for mulch right where they had been growing Just chopped them with scissors in small bits to add more to the rather poor soil

In spring, wow they reseeded themselves and once again made a huge show and stopped people walking buy to admire the garden bed

THis spring once again so that I was a bit tired of them this year thinking next year to do something else

The shrubs and perenials have become larger and fuller and I do not need the annuals really .

At any rate I wrote as with Nasturiums there are lots of seeds and they could be stored over winter in the house, or as I did just leave them where they lie and see if you get another year, and another year, and another year out of them
    I live in Barrie Ontario so is only a low zone 5 maybe and this garden bed is not sheltered at all from cold and wind etc.

• Karen_Garcia_ak_net
    12 years ago

Wondering if I cut them and mulch them, then cover in plastic? They are in.a planter on my driveway.

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

nothing to lose is their ( or is it loose)
    not sure when you would take the plastic off
    maybe something other than plastic that water could go through

be interesting to try it Karen

Are you in Alaska?