Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_v_44

does anyone go to the fall fairs ?

diane_v_44
14 years ago

We attended the Markham fair I think it was the weekend before this Thanksgiving weekend

Had not been to a fair in some years

Had a nice day but fairs are not quite what they used to be

More commercial stuff, things to buy rather than things to see

Comments (6)

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

We went to the Great Northern Exhibition - just north of
    Stayner. We hadn't gone to a fair in a long time and this was pretty good. I like the animals, especially the horses. They said that the number of competitors was declining each year. Wonder why? I enjoyed watching the miniature horses tho. Not to crazy about the tractor pulls, find them to noisy. There were the usual kids rides etc. Marg

• chatty_cathy
    14 years ago

We live in Gravenhurst and there are Fall Fairs (done for this year) in Bracebridge, Severn Bridge, Washago and Orillia. I've been to Bracebridge and Orillia and they are what I think are typical fall fairs.

Yes they have commercial vendors and rides etc., but they also have exhibition barns with both fruit & veg as well as livestock. Also, crafts, baking, preserves etc. I haven't been to Washago or Severn Bridge lately (Washago is called Ramona Fair). They are both one day affairs (I believe) and would be much heavier on the local produce & livestock than on vendors & rides since the ride companies & vendors probably wouldn't consider them prime profit venues.

The last local fair in our area is the Bala Cranberry festival, always the weekend after Thanksgiving and features the Cranberry Marsh and has a produce, fabric arts and childrens component but no livestock. Lots of vendors though.
    /Cathy

• ianna
    14 years ago

You were there? So was I. It was the first time I had attended it but I do have to say, I wasn't impressed. I like the exhibits but I had been hoping for more fair related booths - not the flea markets I saw. I did enjoy the elephant ride though.

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Just a few thoughts on Fairs before I go chop corn silage.
    Our fair in Drayton where my daughter shows her 4-H calf and my husbands family has shown dairy cattle for probably 40 years moved to August but has been suffering from a huge lack of help and exhibitors lately. Fairs are typically run by rural and farm folks and the face of rural Ontario has changed hugely in the last 20 years. What farmers there are are very busy and many of them don't participate in fairs because some part of them is held on Sundays. Our community is about 1/3 mennonites - not old order but they won't belong to the fair or come to anything on Sunday. Same goes for the huge Dutch community around us. Won't help with anythng that involves a Sunday. Many farmers are also fairly new immigrants and they don't always participate in community events. My 4-H club died about 3 years ago for the same reasons. We have trouble with volunteers in any group whether it be Horticulture or minor sports. It is very difficult running rural organizations with about 1/3 of the community to draw on for volunteers. The weather for the last several years has also hurt farmers as they need to make feed when the weather is good and there isn't that much good weather. Our feed has to be of such good quality to be competitive that you can't take time off to attend a fair if it is the only good week to make hay etc. Not like the old days where haying could wait another week if you were busy showing animals. If you make poor quality feed you pay for it all winter by buying suppliment. And that makes food cost more which comsumers don't seem to want to pay for.
    Agriculture has changed and so have fairs!
    Debbie

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debbie

I know all that you said is true often as to why fairs and attendance is declining

A shame isn't it in so many ways how life is changing.
    I keep up a little on farming and the people in it. My husband and I dairy farmed with Jersey cattle a number of years, as did my hubby's Dad, as well

Lots and lots of work for sure

I still wish one of my kids would have taken up farming and the life of it.

I have one single daughter left, wish I could introduce her to a eligeable farmer. She is a red head and I say, she is my little jersey.

Of course she just loves to hear that
    But her hair is a rich deep red, somehow she , especially when younger, makes me think of a happy little jersey cow

Now you can see how a young lady would not be flattered by those thoughts, I am sure.

I as well find the fairs to commercial, and not so many exhibis. But try to attend.

We went to the fair in Chesley, Beeton and a little town over Ottawa way which I forget the name of

Just happened to be going through town on the weekend of the fair.

• ninamarie
    14 years ago

Loved the Palmerston fall fair. It's very hokey, and, as others comment, there are not that many exhibits. But it is preceded by a really fun parade and there is a Taste of Minto exhibit where we get to sample the fare from local restaurants, farmers, cooks, etc. This year, there was sausage, elk meat, fresh apple cider, bruschetta, pizza, chicken, etc. We don't make dinner on the night of the fair. The quilt exhibit is always fantastic and includes new and antique quilts. The parade is very small, but should not be missed. It's just fun.