Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftygardener_gw

When to take coleous cuttings?

Crafty Gardener
17 years ago

I have 2 lovely large coleous plants that I am bringing inside. When is the best time to take cuttings and root them? What is the best thing to do with the plants so that I can save them for next year?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• HomeMaker
    17 years ago

I've taken cuttings of mine just in the last few days and keep them on window sills throughout the house. No room to bring in the plants.

I keep them in water most of the winter - top up as needed. Change the water if it starts looking "iffy" LOL!

I plant them in pots in about March. Works for me.

• Crafty Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your help. I'm going to be giving it a try, and hopefully I'll have new coleous plants for next year.

• ianna
    17 years ago

YOu can do that now, but do prepared that it will look awful through the winter.

• HomeMaker
    17 years ago

Mine don't look awful, they even bloom for me in the glass!!

Each cutting becomes a new plant for me. They are smallish to start, but grow like gangbusters once they get outside LOL!

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

The cuttings will root just fine in a pot of soil on the window ledge too. If you root in water and plan on transfering to soil at some point, I would recommend that you transfer to soil when the roots are no more than a half an inch long. Many plants grow just fine in water, and can get to a good size easily. However, roots that form in water are different than the roots needed for soil, and a plant that has grown large in water will have to grow new roots in the soil and it may die before it has time to do so. Coleus are pretty tough plants and aren't likely to have that much of a problem, but it's best to pot them up when small.

One thing to watch for is that Coleus is known to attract spider mites indoors. If you see any webbing arount the tips, and/or leaves dropping suddenly, examine them closely. Spider mites are very tiny, but they can be seen as specks moving about.

If you have the space for the big plants, I'd recommend you keep them alive for the winter (sunniest window you can give it, and don't let it dry out much). By February they will be looking pretty awful for a houseplant (leggy and less colourful), but cuttings taken in early March/April will be better plants than the ones from cuttings taken now. Don't bother rooting any cuttings from the very tip if it is starting to flower - the cutting will continue to try to flower rather than grow into a proper new plant.

BP

• glen3a
    17 years ago

I don't think Ianna necessarily meant that in a negative way.

Because of low light levels in my house most of my cuttings from coleus, geraniums and impatiens do look scraggly and not that attractive by spring. That's okay though, the key is for them to survive winter and maybe get a bit of growth while indoors, so that you can take a few cuttings come spring.

Glen

• phyllis33
    17 years ago

being a new gardener I ask how do you take a cutting?lol also should the blue flowers be taken off? I was told they may be going to seed. Can you shed some light on this/thank you