Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lady

Miniature Trees -- Seeking Supplier In Canada

lavender_lady
17 years ago

Hello, All,

Lately I've become somewhat obsessed with the notion of creating some miniature gardens in containers. Here are two sites that I especially like:

http://www.weegarden.com/Welcome.html

I have ordered the book from the above site.

http://www.twogreenthumbs.com/

This site has a lot of accessories and wonderful mini trees. They will ship accessories to Canada, but not the trees.

I've done an exhaustive search for suppliers of mini trees in Canada, but have found "not a one". Do any of you know where I could avail myself of some?

I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong thread/section. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments (8)

• jaro_in_montreal
    17 years ago

The web site you quote has a suggested plant list, in which I notice a fair number of plants that I have in my garden (or similar/ related) :

Irish juniper
    alberta spruce
    hinoki cypress
    blue star juniper
    dwarf cone junipers

sempervivum (hens & chicks)

These are plants that are easily found at most major nurseries here in Quebec -- and I would bet in Ontario too.

If your miniature garden is for indoors (at least during the winter), then you may wish to add a few exotic (zone-wise) plants to your list, such as those I have posted photos of here.
    These are also occasionally available at some major local nurseries, but you might have to look around a bit to find them.

Also, some of the very tiny Norway Spruce {{gwi:542346}} might be of interest.
    These may be obtained by mail order from specialty ornamental conifer nurseries.

• jaro_in_montreal
    17 years ago

PS. I should have added that while the junipers may start out small, as seedlings, they can, over a number of years, become quite large.
    The blue star juniper, for instance, is used as ground cover. Or, when grafted on top of a tall standard, can become a big mounding affair....

You might also have an easier time searching for suppliers, if you used the scientific name. For instance, "hinoki cypress" is Chamaeceparis obtusa (the cultivar they show in the pictures is probably C.o. 'Nana Gracillis,' a very popular plant, which turns into a small tree in about 60 years....

So it might not be a bad idea to start from seeds.
    Winter time would actually be a good time to try that, as conifer seeds typically require from 2 to 4 months of cold stratification before they can be sewn for germination.....

• lavender_lady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello, Jaro,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me with suggestions. You have some fine looking specimens in your yard -- thanks for sharing.

I gave myself quite the headache all day yesterday, and much of today, as I attempted to search for mini plantings. Still no luck on actual _mini_ trees, as opposed to dwarf varieties, but I did email miniatureplantkingdom.com Perhaps they can acquire these. I'll be working in 1" scale for the dish gardens so everything must be of a miniature growth habit!

I found a site called miniature forests, and enjoyed looking at the little plantings. This one, too...

http://www.rosebay.org/chapterweb/rosebay/garden_conifers.htm

Another site which features mini plants for dish gardens is:

http://www.robsviolet.com/miniature_houseplants.htm

They ship worldwide and have some neat exotic houseplants also.

I'm also obsessed with all things mossy, both dish gardens, and larger scale w/in my outdoor garden.

Moss acres carries a lot of supplies:

http://www.mossacres.com/default.asp

And finally, I have to share this, because I'm compelled to try some mos graffiti at some point!

http://www.storiesfromspace.co.uk/data/html/mossgraffiti.html

Also from the same site:

http://www.storiesfromspace.co.uk/data/html/menu.html

Thank you for reading/listening! I'm feeling the impact of the dreary weather already, so have to plan ahead with projects for fairer weather!

I appreciate your replies, Jaro!

• jaro_in_montreal
    17 years ago

Glad to be of help.

Interesting web sites too -- thanks !

As regards "things mossy," it occurs to me that this plant material can be had free, just by taking a hike in the woods, no ?

I recall getting some as a kind of bonus, when I collected some rocks for my small rock garden :

{{gwi:542347}}

• ninamarie
    17 years ago

Vineland Nurseries
    Telephone (905) 562-4836
    Vineland Nurseries specializes in "plants for small spaces - dwarf & unusual evergreens, heathers, Japanese maples, rhododendrons, bamboos, perennials, rare & unusual varieties"
    They have a catalogue.

• lucidity
    17 years ago

If you live near Burlington /Waterdown, I use Hortico Nursuries they carry almost everything you could want.They sell to nursuries themselves as well as city planners etc so have a huge variety at good prices. I warn you to pre order the things you want to be ready and waiting for you though because otherwise they will send you "into the feilds of hell" to find it for yourself and that is not a good time as they don't organize or label anything..lol

They have a website and you can download their catalogue.

• ianna
    17 years ago

Dear Lavender,

You don't need to go very far to search for miniaturized plants. I have made many bonsais and topiaries. I can tell you that what you'd like to do is relatively simple. Most trees can be miniaturized by planting them in small & relatively shallow containers. To create forests or woods, simply group trees together like maple trees in groups of 7 or more (odd nos.). The shallow dish, you can create using cement and make sure there are at least 2 thumbsized holes for drainage.

To recreate your miniaturized scenes you simply have to add or cover up the pots with peat or moss and small rocks. Moss sheets are not difficult to do. Take a handful of moss, mix in with yogurt and spread on the surface you want to cover. Leave in a moist and dappled light area and you will have your mini grassy knolls.

Plants that can be easily miniaturized:

Rosemary, azaleas, maples (especially the japanese types), gingko trees, crab apples trees

evergreen types: many have been described in others' responses. I have a preference for boxwood. Pines take too long to mature.

The other way to look for natural dwarf plants like alpine evergreens. Rock garden sellers often have many little selections to offer.

I would say that starting tree seedlings from scratch is not at all a bad idea. Or simply go into the woods and dig out young trees for miniaturizing, bearing in mind all the forest conservation laws.

Anyway this is a start.

Ianna

• lavender_lady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello, All,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post with the various resources and advice. I think I'm going to follow Jaro and Ianna's suggestion of starting little trees from seeds indoors. A good project for the winter months. Lucidity and Ninamarie, I will check the cataloge recommendations to see what minis I can acquire from those sources too.

Ianna, I'd love to see pics of your mini trees, if you have some.

Thanks again!

thewindowsshopper.blogspot.com

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor