Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staples_renee

Calling On Ottawa Gardeners

staples_renee
18 years ago

This post is meant to explore the feasibility of establishing an informal circle of Ottawa gardeners for the purpose of plant/cutting exchange, advice/assistance, and general sharing of our passion with folks who are in the community.

I'm in process of a long term project to renovate my backgarden and have been composting or trashing plants (especially daylilies, heliopis and bearded iris this fall). Breaks my heart as I think there may be folks out there who might have welcomed them. Also,I read with some envy, the posts from the Toronto area re: Brugumansias and wished I knew someone locally who was growing them and willing to give or exchange for cuttings.

If you live in the Ottawa area and would enjoy participating in a garden buddies network please let me know by reply post.

Comments (17)

• Cybersunday
    18 years ago

I am definitely interested, apart from teninding to my own garden, I got involved this year enlarging a garden in my church that is in need of more plants, we had a few people that diligently kept on digging and anything decent that would otherwise end up in the compost would have been used right there.

• staples_renee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your reply Cybersunday. Let's hope a few more folks feel the same and I'll set up a local forum or distribution list.

Cheers

• annmarieot
    18 years ago

Sounds like fun. I have just recently left my old garden and moved to a home with nothing except what I managed to borrow from my old garden. Lots of work but lots of fun!

• sammyqc
    18 years ago

Hi there. I'm in the Ottawa area, and I do have quite a few different brugs. I have some very large ones that I haven't pruned yet as they are still flowering (Yes, Indoors!) and some smaller ones that I received in trades this year. Have been growing them for a couple years now, and I've been trying to increase the variety that I have. A lot of mine aren't named, just go by color, and I would love to have more named ones, because those are the ones others want to trade for.
    I also have perennials and (thanks to the squirrels) lots of baby oak trees. I would love to be part of a local circle as well.
    Will send an email too.

• gail_ish
    18 years ago

Hi Renee,

We moved just 3 years ago from Barrhaven to the other side of Almonte. I work in Kanata, so I'm Ottawa-ish. I also go to the Canadian Garden Exchange forum & some of the Ottawa girls arranged a plant swap in the spring. Maybe a cross-post would increase your numbers.

I'm definitely interested - more & more plant material - that's my motto. I just recently got 3 brugs cuttings from that forum that someone sent me for the cost of shipping (less than $10). They are now rooting in water & will be transplanted this week to soil, so I'm thrilled. I also got alot of great deals at the local Canadian Tire, Loblaws & Home Depot this fall such as Carefree roses for $2 (I bought 5!!).

I wish more people from this forum saved seeds & swapped at the other forum - it's a great way of increasing your plant material!!

Anyway, ta ta for now,
    Gail

• Cybersunday
    18 years ago

Hey, Ottawa, it seems that we may get together yet

• staples_renee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm delighted to see the Ottawa gardeners posts trickling in. I'll look in to setting up a forum and will definately start a chain of communication as we near Spring. The first result from my post was an exchange of daylilies for brugmansia cuttings - through Canada Post- with Cygnet all the way over in Southwestern Ontario. What a lovely surprise.

Thank you all for responding. I'll keep checking the post from time to time over the Winter.

• hianja
    18 years ago

Here!!! *waves arms frantically in the air*

Should of course have read this before I posted my call a couple of minutes ago. My bad. Duh.

I'm carless in Bells Corners, but once the snow's gone I'll be biking again, and, anyway, there's always busses.

• Joanne_in_zone_4b
    18 years ago

I have a garage sale every year which consists mostly of plants. There's a lot of labour involved in potting and labelling them. I used to give them away, but it always cost me because I had to buy potting soil. Don't give away anything that you can first sell. Exhange is fine, but there are some who just mooch and give nothing in return, not even a thank you. Sad, eh?

• shapiro
    18 years ago

Dear Renee: Happy Birthday, even though it is one day late! Guess what? You are not alone - far from it. Please Google Ontario Horticultural Association. Once you enter the site, click on Societies and then go to Ottawa - there you are! The Ottawa Hort Society has over 300 members and they are all crazy for gardening like you and me! They meet every month and the next meeting is Jan 24 with a talk (and slides) on gardens in Ireland. I myself am a member of the Manotick Hort Society. We have about 130 members. The goal of most societies is the exchange of garden information, plants, seeds, cuttings, also learning more about gardening, holding plant sales (where terrific bargains are available from the gardens of the members) And this year is VERY special because the Ottawa Society is hosting the 100th Annual Meeting of all the Hort Societies in Ontario. This will be a huge 3-day gathering of gardeners from all over Ontario in mid-August. The best reason for attending a meeting of a garden club (or Horticultural society) is that you get to meet wonderful people who love gardening. Some of my best friends are people I have met through my garden club. So Renee, hope to see you at a garden club meeting soon! Your cuttings, your plant offshoots and extras will be welcome come about May when sales are held!

• cookie8
    18 years ago

Sounds interesting. I have a tonne of seeds I collected this past season and trying to figure out what is what. I hope to start some WS soon. It went well last year so will do again this year. I don't belong to any other group so this will be a nice start. Would love more info on where this might go. Thanks.
    Janet

• staples_renee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I asked the Garden Web about setting up for an Ottawa Gardeners Forum, but alas we still don't have one. So I set up Ottawa-Gardening@googlegroups.com . This is my first foray in to setting up a group. Please visit and get on the distribution list. Thanks to all who showed an interest last Fall, hope to hear from you again at google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ottawa-Gardening

• Cybersunday
    18 years ago

bumpity, bump, the site is alive

• capitalcitygirl47
    15 years ago

Is anyone interested in restarting this thread?

• shapiro
    15 years ago

Dear Capital City Girl: Yes! I am interested. A member of the Manotick Hort. Society, living in Greely. Right now, help would really be welcome regarding growing annuals to decorate a mid-August wedding. Colour scheme is pink-white-green. I am thinking zinnias, baby's breath.... and then the mind goes blank. Do you have any ideas? Thanks, just call me Pat.

• ranch57
    15 years ago

I'm a central Ottawa area gardener, would be interested. Although I don't have much on our new property to exchange -- but would be glad for a source for cheap plants! I am thinking of joining the Hort. society.

I do know there's an Ottawa group (or was) called PlantCycle. I haven't joined but might be something to check out.

Shapiro, I have a good book called Amazing Annuals by Marjorie Mason Hogue. Here's the relevant colour lists - hopefully you can google or check catalogs to see if anything is inspiring. To go with zinnias and babys breath, perhaps something lush like snapdragon? Or spiky like salvia? (I know nothing about flower arranging though!)

Pink: Snapdragon, Begonia, Cleome, Dianthus, Diascia, Gypsophila muralis 'Garden Bride', impatiens, Sweet Pea, Nemesia, Nicotiana 'Appleblossom', Petunia, Phlox, portulaca, verbena, zinnia.
    Green: molucella laevis (bells of ireland), Nicotiana langsdorfii and alata 'Lime Green', Zinnia 'envy'.
    White: Ammi majus, agapanthus, Prickly Poppy, Begonia, Catharanthus roseus, cosmos, Babys breath, impatiens, Lavatera trimestris, Lobelia, Lobularia maritima, nicotiana, petunia, salvia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ottawa Plantcycle

• willow_2007
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone

I live in the west end of Ottawa, new to gardening in the last couple of years and would love to belong to a local forum. I recently joined the Ottawa Hort Society, Ottawa Plant Exchange, Winter Sowed for the first time last year (with great success),started a student/school gardening club where I work and signed up for a local garden plot. Needless to say I am hooked and look forward to sharing knowledge, plants,seeds and meeting new gardeners in the community.
    cheers wendy

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert