Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

spring bulb orders question

ianna
15 years ago

Hi all,

I've received notice of allium sales from an out of province garden catalog. It's very tempting right now for me to get a few more bulbs, but before I even go there, I'd like to ask what's the last safe date to plant bulbs in the ground. Anyone have ideas?

Please advise

Ianna

Comments (9)

• bonniepunch
    15 years ago

If it's a good price, I'd go for it. About four years ago I planted some alliums I got for my birthday and they did just fine - my birthday is Nov 6th, and you're a half zone warmer than I am...

You might want to toss a bit of extra mulch on them, just in case it's a hard winter.

BP

• wlongon5b
    15 years ago

The garden expert in our local newspaper said in today's column that as long as the ground is workable, one can plant bulbs. He stated that he has planted them as late as Christmas Eve. He plants them a little deeper than he normally would, and mulches well.
    I have bought some half price bulbs this week and plan on planting them tomorrow.
    Wendy

• wlongon5b
    15 years ago

.....Oh also a friend who belongs to our local Horticultural Society told me to sprinkle baby powder in the hole when I plant my bulbs and again on top of the soil once planted. Apparently it stops the chippys and squirrels from detecting the bulbs. I don't know if it works but I going to try. My resident chippys eat my crocus bulbs every year!!!!
    Wendy

• ianna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, I got allium Gladiators, 50% off. Usually these giants cost $5 per bulb. I've seen that come down to $5 for 2 bulbs and now with the sales, I got them at $2.50 for 2 bulbs. I purchased several packages of course.

Oh, pests don't like allium bulbs which is why I love these things. My techniques for discouraging pests from attacking my tulips is simply to add a few daffodil bulbs on the highest layer of bulbs. Pests hate biting into these bitter bulbs. I practise layering all my tulip bulbs (early, mid and late bloomers) in one hole so that area experiences continues blooms until June.

• bonniepunch
    15 years ago

Great price!

I've never had a tree rat/squirrel harm an allium *bulb*, but in my yard, the blasted critters will chew off every allium flower bud they can find. The only thing that protects my flowers is to coat the scape and bud with a paste made from blood meal and vaseline.

BP

• pixel_toronto
    15 years ago

Hi Ianna,

Where did you find the alliums? I'd love to order some--I'm still planting my bulbs now.

• ianna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, the place I got them from (Vesseys) is now out of stock. There are other alliums still avail.

You might try looking at Walmart to see if they still have other alliums on sale.

• pixel_toronto
    15 years ago

Thanks, Ianna. I placed an order with them too; I was hoping you'd found another online vendor who was still selling alliums! :)

• ianna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, I haven't heard from anyone anymore. I'm on Vesseys and other mail order companies' mailing list and so I get notices of sales via email. The last such notice was from Vesseys and that was last week. None from other areas - other than notices of holiday sales for such things as amaryllis which is an indoor plant.

Ianna