Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lobogothic

Growing Marrowfat Beans

LoboGothic
11 years ago

Hello,

Anyone have any tricks or tips for growing Marrowfat beans? I've tried repeatedly and results have been ho hum. Are they a low yielding variety?

Germination not the best either, sure would like to have some success with these delicious beans. Any experience out there?

Comments (6)

• eircsmith
    11 years ago

Thanks for thread. I am also excited to know tricks and tips of growing Marrowfat beans.

• braeburn040
    11 years ago

I've gardened for years and have grown many varieties of beans but "Marrowfat" is one I've never heard of. Where do you buy them? Are they a shell bean or green bean?

• LoboGothic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Braeburn, I see that you are a brand new member and that you garden in a cool climate. Welcome to this forum, it's an excellent resource.

Marrowfat Dry Bean described by Vermont Bean Company - "This heirloom variety is a navy bean that is much larger, egg shaped and much better for baking than most other navy beans. The plant habit is half runner and the flat inedible pods each have 5 to 6 beans per pod."

My seed came from Hope Seeds quite a while back - here's what they say:

"Hope Seeds & Perennials (HSP) is based in the well-kept secret of Knowlesville, NB. Many of their seeds have been traced back to seed catalogues from the late 1800âÂÂs. Their seeds are all open-pollinated and they encourage you to save seeds for next year and share with friends.

The Marrowfat Bean is an heirloom bean originating in the 18th century, but perhaps earlier. This particular strain has been grown and maintained by the Gilmore family of Keswick Ridge, NB for many years. Plants yield lots of flattened green pods that are sweet and tender when young. Pods eventually produce large, white rounded seeds which can be used as a dried bean."

I see that Hope Seeds has them still. The cooked beans have a creamy texture which makes them good for puree, bean dips, soups, etc. I've simply had no real success with them but want to keep trying. Maybe I should check with Hope Seeds and see if they have any suggestions.

Good gardening, Frances

• braeburn040
    11 years ago

Thank you for the information Frances I don't think I could grow them. I have to cover my beans outside or grow them in my green house. They sound like they would take quite a few days til maturity. I have real good success with Pole beans in my greenhouse.
    Chic

• Earl Gilbey
    5 years ago

I have been growing marrowfat beans for 40 years and I got my first seed from an old neighbour who had been growing them all of his life. I save only the best shaped and the largest beans for seed every time that I bake beans. They are absolutely wonderful. For our 50th wedding anniversary last week , I made 2 [6cup] batches for our party and they ate them all. Earl Gilbey

• Earl Gilbey
    5 years ago

Also marrowfat beans multiply , on average , about 80 times. I have counted them many times. The only tip that I have is to plant only seed from the previous year. The germination rate drops quickly if you plant seed that is 2 years old or older. But the beans remain good for baking . I have cooked marrowfat beans that were 25 years old and they were excellent. Always soak , at least over night and then always parboil them . Also I fertilize with organic compost only and use lots of it. Earl Gilbey