Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico6196

Ideas anyone?

nico6196
16 years ago

We have a corner of our garden which we want to plant something to give us some privacy. As our neighbor on the left has planted a tree very close to the property line, I was thinking maybe a large shrub would be a good idea. Can you recommend a fast growing shrub that grows 8'-10' tall? Thanks

Comments (10)

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

I am a big fan of Rose of Sharon. They grow quickly, can be pruned very hard in the spring to keep them the size and shape that you want, have a nice flower and they tolerate a bit of shade and still put on a nice show.
    Lois

• ianna
    16 years ago

First of all, you need to identify what tree your neighbor has planted. Approx. the distance of that tree to your house. It makes all the difference on what kind of screening shrubs to use to screen off the area. Some trees' roots can invade far and wide, suck up pressure ground moisture, etc.. I once spotted a house where the person planted curly willow branches all over the property. That is going to be a nightmare for hte neighbors. The roots of a willow are difficult to remove or to kill.

if it is possible to set up a divider to prevent roots from entering your area, do so now. However if this is a large tree, then dividers will not be so effective.

screening shrubs -

Flowering shrubs - other than above, include butterfly bush, limelight peegee hydrangea (6-8 ft), lilacs.

Evergreen dense shrub
    Hollies - upright and columnar
    Junipers
    emerald cedars.

With any screens you should try for a combination of plants rather than using a single type of plant.

For example, you can utilize a backdrop of butterfly bush, front it with false sunflower, hydrangea, roses and spirea, boxwood, etc..

You can even set up a rose tree using a post and rose climber combined with a clematis vine.

You can set up an evergreen screen combo but soften it with w/ flowers or grass.

The advantage of an evergreen screen is that you have an all season screen. It's going to be dense and so underplantings may be in the shadows - hence plan for shade plantings.

Also use the neighbor's tree to your advantage. Observe the canopy and see what you can do to match it. You can create the illusion that your property is larger with the tree in the backdrop.

• nico6196
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the responses. The neighbor planted some kind of maple tree. It's brand new, so we don't want to wait 15 years for it to provide us with some privacy. The tree has been planted about 25 feet from our houses.

Has anyone any experience with Redosier Dogwoods, Sumacs or Arctic Willows?

Thanks

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

I finally got fed up with my sumac this year and cut it down. It had been sending out runners and colonizing all over my lawn and my neighbour's lawn too. It didn't do that the first few years that I had it, but as it matured it started going crazy, so I had do let it go.

• clairabelle
    16 years ago

Salix 'Hakuro Nishiki': awesome color, fast grower.
    Also Weigela 'Carnaval', another variegated fast grower that flowers up to late October in proper conditions.
    Both of these, of course, do best in full sun.
    You can cut these back two thirds late fall for fuller growth or cut back only one third to get more height the following year.

• ianna
    16 years ago

Well, a maple is a large tree and it would suck out lots of moisture from the ground. It's crown would be dense enough to cast deep shadows in surrounding areas. Be prepared to handle the "helicopter" seeds that fall during the season and for multiple seedlings sprouting everywhere. Be vigilant about overhanging branches that go into your property and if it does, get your neighbor to trim the branches back. 25 feet away is not too far from your place. So basically any plants you want to put in must have deep roots as well in order to compete for water and should also be able to thrive in part shade. (Personally, I would put down a barrier a foot deep to prevent the roots from entering my yard).

I would suggest creating a backdrop of tall evergreens and get the Emerald Cedar ones. They have come down in prices over the years and so next season, start looking for bargains. Plant these in close clumps. The roots of these plants go deep and so hopefully by the time the maple grows large enough, your trees are well established. Create a bed of mix shrubs in front of that evergreen backdrop. Use shrubs with lighter shades to bring it out such as the dwarf varieties of firs or junipers.. the Hakuro Nishiki as mentioned above. Dogwoods - I also like sumacs - there are several types and although it does spread with small saplings, it can still be controlled.

• will_2006
    16 years ago

Here is an idea for you. I personally planted Homestrung Cedars, and Rose of Sharon, alternating them. They are about 5 feet apart. The Cedars are now about 10 ft tall and the Rose of Sharon are 6 ft tall and are about the same width. It turned out fantastic. I have the green year round from the cedars and the flowers in August from the Sharon. It also provides wonderful privacy and a good shade area.
    reg

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

Lilacs are a good screen and grow very quickly.

• bern_2007
    16 years ago

I find Ninebark diablo to be a very fast grower, 1 1/2 to 2 feet a year, will do well in part shade. Nice burgundy foliage. And can take dry condition. Can be easily trimmed. And I agree that a grouping of shrub together would look very nice.

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I bought a weigelia about 10 years ago. I like it so much that I started several others from it. The latest one is now 3 years old and 5' tall. The branches that are at the front of the bush start to cascade downwards after the first year (on mine anyways). The variety is called 'Pink Princess'. This year, the foliage also turned burgundy. The shrub blooms all summer and into the fall. Marg

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner