Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banzaibetty

I don't want to lose my trees!

banzaibetty
16 years ago

Hi all

Here's my problem...we purchased this house 3 months ago and now our septic field may be failing. The whole system is old - 47 years old approx. - tank and field are buried 6+feet below ground (I know, totally illegal by today's standards!). Previous owners planted a row of large trees: a couple of blue spruce, a couple maples, hawthorn, pissardi plum, chokecherry, london plane tree for a total of 8 trees along the front of my property. They're beautiful and pushing 50 years old, providing plenty of privacy from a fairly busy road as well. The trees also border my septic field...The contractor figures that they may be part of the problem and wants to take them out. My arguement with him is yes, they may originally have been part of the problem when they were young trees and the field was put in 6 feet below the surface. But if we are going to raise the field up to 18" to 24" below the surface those old trees shouldn't be invasive at this point, don't you think? I mean, they've gone through their major growth spurt at this point in time. I understand that the dripline of trees contain surface roots in the top 2 feet of soil but I believe there's enough room between our house and the line of trees to keep away from driplines of these massive beauties. Any thoughts? Anyone every had a similar experience/problem?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling