Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_donnac

Oleander~~ Help, please!

organic_donnac
17 years ago

Hi there I'm new here and have a question:

I have an Oleander tree (about 5 1/2 feet tall)I've had it 5 years. It 'summers' outside and comes in for the winter months.

The upper branches are pretty bare, until the very ends, where there are leaves and where it does flower. A whole lot of new branches grew from the base and about a foot above soil, this summer.

I brought it inside a week ago to spend the winter in a west facing window.

My question is this: should I prune off the upper branches? And if so, when? Now or in the spring?

Thanks so much for any help or comments!

Comments (15)

• janetr
    17 years ago

If you aren't deliberately growing it as a standard, or if you'd prefer a bushy look, you could off the upper branches altogether. You can grow oleanders either way, and I've done both. Following Bonnie's advice and waiting till spring is probably a good idea.

Oleanders are pretty tough and forgiving, so you don't have to be too panicky about this.

Janet's Garden

• organic_donnac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bonnie and Jane, THANK YOU BOTH so very much!! Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I was away, then got busy catering!

Bonnie, I shall follow your advice... now, about those (possible) suckers.... they only start about 2 feet up from the soil on the one stem, (so it's a 'standard') Should I still remove those?

Again, thanks so very much for the detailed response! Very helpful!!

Donna

• tanja_r
    13 years ago

Hi. I was recently given a slip of oleander. It has grown rapidly. Unfortunately, it branched about 8 inches above the soil. One of the branches is much larger than the others. I'd like the plant to be "standard" or tree-like. Should I prune the two smaller branches close to the main stem to create more of a trunk? Any advice on preparing the plant to overwinter indoors would also be appreciated. Oleanders are new to me, although I've admired tham for many years. The earlier posts were very helpful. Thanks to all.

Tanja

• tanja_r
    13 years ago

Just trying to figure out which forum this is on.

• ianna
    13 years ago

you can certainly train oleander branches into a straighter form for as long as they are still pliable. Identify a lead trunk/branch. Use a straight bamboo pole to act as a guide. Stick this into the pot. Take some garden twine and tie the trunk to the pole.

The idea is to remove all branches except for the lead branch. Do not remove or nip off the tip of the lead branch. This tip is referred to as the leader branch. As it grows upward, tie it to the branch. Once the branch reaches the desired height nip off the lead branch. This forces the plant to branch into 2 or more branches. Let these branches grow to certain lenght. Nip the tips off the branches again, forcing these to produce more branches. Continue doing this until a ball is formed. Thereafter prune the plant to keep the ball shape.

Overwinter indoors by a window with good sunlight. you will water less during winter. No fertilzing during winter because the plant goes into a form of dormancy. Add fertilizer in spring.

BTW -- Oleander sap is toxic. Use gloves while pruning.

• dianasan
    13 years ago

Yes, tanja, prune those two branches in order to train your plant as a standard.

I take my oleanders indoors about a week or two before the first frost or very cold night. I keep them in a dark, unheated garage; however, my garage is attached to the house and doesn't really get very cold. Therefore, I do not water my plants at all, until the day when I put them out in the spring.

A friend of mine whose garage is very cold, will give her oleander a half a cup of water once a month. I did this once and the plants came out of dormancy and started sprouting new growth which ultimately died once they were brought outdoors. I guess it depends on the temperature of your garage or cellar.

In the Spring, I water thoroughly and place my plants in a shaded area for a couple of weeks. I gradually move them into a sunnier location, preferably during a period of cloudy or overcast days.

Some time in early May, I'll also repot any plant that seems pot bound.

I keep the plants in full sun all summer long and keep them well watered, though they can tolerate dry conditions. I fertilize with a high-phosphorus fertilzer weekly during June and July.

• dianasan
    13 years ago

Ianna, guess we were posting at the same time.

• tanja_r
    13 years ago

Thank you ladies. Very helpful advice.

Tanja

• laura_stengel_servicecanada_gc_ca
    13 years ago

Hello,

We recently purchased our first home and I immediately started a garden. I fell in love with a pink braided oleander tree which has both light and dark pink flowers.
    It's done very well over the suimmer however, I understand that it needs to come indoors for the winter.
    I have 2 children and a cat so bringing into the house is not my first choice.
    I do have a heated garage, so could i keep there for the winter? If so, what do I need to do to ensure it survives? (watering, light, wrapping it up,etc) I know not to fertilize it until the spring.
    If I needed to bring it into the house, I do have a bathroom in the basement the we hardly use and the door can be kept closed. The problem with that is there is no window for it to get sunlight.
    Any suggestions?

Please help

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

LAURA: As mentioned in an earlier post,Oleanders are quite tough. I have several that I bring in to my unheated but attached garage to overwinter. I give them no special treatment. During the summer they grow in the soil but for overwintering I place them in pots after cutting some of the root ball away. They sit in these pots for the winter and usually during this time they develop seed pods. I may or may not give them a bit of a drink a couple of times during the winter depending on how dried out the leaves are looking. Sometimes the leaves seem to dry and turn brown..other years they remain fairly green. Either way they always have survived the garage temps which often dip to the low 30"s. In the spring I just gradually acclimatize them to being out in the sun over a week or so time span and then they are ready to be planted back in the ground for another great show. Wishing you success with yours. Ross.

• laura2010_gardener
    13 years ago

Thank you Ross! I will try my best and hopefully it will survive.

Much appreciated!

Laura

• laura2010_gardener
    13 years ago

Hi,

I have some plants that I would like to know what care they require before the first frost.

I have:

Emerald Gaiety Euonymus
    Dusty Miller
    Red Fox
    Begonia
    PJM Phodedendron
    Hosta Fortunei Aureo
    Impatience
    double impatience

any suggestions? Can all of these survivie the winter, how do I prep them for the winter season, etc?

thank you

• ianna
    13 years ago

Laura,

Just a suggestion for the next time. It's best to start a new thread with a new subject line so members can effectively address your concerns.

However - I can say the following:

Emerald Gaiety Euonymus - This is a perennial. no need to bring inside. & be careful when handling this plant. It's sap is toxic.

Dusty Miller - annual. Best discard. they don't do well indoors.

Red Fox - no idea what this is.

Begonia - I'm not sure if this is one of those bulbous begonias or wax begonnias. Wax begonnias are treated as annuals and so discard. For bulbous types, you can save their 'bulbs' dust them with sulfur, place is a peat filled box and overwintered in a dark space. You will need to check on it every now and then to ensure no mold develops.

PJM Phodedendron - I'm not sure if you are referring to rhododendron which is an outdoor shrub or philodendron - a tropical plant that needs to be indoors in winter.

Hosta Fortunei Aureo - perennials

Impatience - annual - discard.

double impatience - same as above.

• laura2010_gardener
    13 years ago

thank you for your feedback.

I will prepare my garden as you have suggested and keep looking for more options with the other plants that are in question. I am still new to gardening so I can't be of more help in the details except for what's on the tag...lol

thanks again and I look forward to more suggestions/advise that may be available to me.

Happy Gardening!

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996