Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swontgirl_z5a

Chrysanthemums blooming late

swontgirl_z5a
14 years ago

Hi,

I have some chrysanthemums that are just barely starting to bloom in my gardens. I have had 2 kinds for a few years now and every year they are very late starting - at least I think so. They barely have any buds open before they get frozen off and die.

We live on a farm and these mums are near a yard light. I wonder if they are getting too much light at night from it. Don't mums bloom when the day starts shortening up? Any suggestions? Another year I could cover them at night if anyone thinks that would help.

Debbie

Comments (12)

• sean57
    14 years ago

Sorry I can't help, Debbie, I can only sympathize with your situation. Here in Quebec City, I have the same situation: chrysanthemums that really start to bloom the week before the frost hits in earnest.

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

Same for me Debbie

I don't have to many of them that survive winter. Actually four plants survived. The plants I pinched back in July and they are just beginning to actually bloom now.
    Hope we get another two or more weeks before frost
    Had a bit of frost here in Barrie, but most things made it

Mostly Coleus got hit and they where so nice.

Yes I guess you could cover them but there is so much work to do at this time of year.
    The only thing I cover are my Brugmansia which I just love so much

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I have two varieties that seem to be extra late this year. They are Hillside/Sheffield and Mei-Kyo. I was wondering if we had less sun this summer because it was cool and rainy much of the time. Plants that like sun such as gaillardia did not grow well for me and many people said that their tomatoes were disappointing. My arctic chrysanthemum Red Chimo and Mary Stoker are in full bloom now, the best they've been for several years. I used to think that putting those small garden lights out affected the blooming time, but I don't think it does. If your mums get nipped by frost most years, it is better to select cultivars that bloom earlier in your zone (region). Mary Stoker and Clara Curtis are two older but very reliable ones.

• swontgirl_z5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys,
    I suppose trying different varieties would be one solution. Mums aren't something I worry too much about in my garden but it is nice to have something blooming now. The one kind I have is a tall mauve variety that I have always wanted to prune back in July but have always worried that it would delay the blooms even longer. I just got it at one of our Hort. Soc plant sales and it's not too valuable to me. The other though is a nice dark purple shorter variety that I bought at Home Depot a few years back. I really like it's height and flower size but I sure wish it would bloom sooner!

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

I find the same feelings about Chrysanthemums. In a way I don't care about them so much

It seems you have spent so much time taking care of things. Then all of a sudden you experience the sadness of cool or cold wheather and maybe a bit of frost.

It might be rainy and cold and there is all this stuff to clean up and deal with.
    Nice to see the colour of the Chysanthemum for sure but it they don't measure up, at this date you just sort of don't bother.

I looked at a potted Chysanthemum today that I almost bought. It was a more fancy bloom They called it commercial Chrsanthemum but that is not at all correct
    So lovely huge blooms I had just the spot to put it in a container at the front door. But was $15.00 and I didn't want to spend that much if it wouldn't overwinter not even a chance

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I used to have a beautiful Dendranthemum that bloomed pretty reliably this time of year - it had dark pinky red flowers with yellow centres and in good years was covered in colour. Unfortunately, it got sparser and sparser and one year just didn't come back. If i ever find another, i'll definitely be getting it!

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Marciaz3, two of the more common dendranthemums on the market are Clara Curtis (pink) and Mary Stoker (peach-apricot). They are both very reliable given sunshine and sufficient water during the growing season. When mine have "fizzled out" it because I have neglected them and they have lacked either water or sun, sometimes both. I am also growing arctic chrysanthemum 'Red Chimo', which is still in full bloom here. It is a dark pink. Maybe one of these is the one that you had.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Red Chimo' mum

14 years ago

Mine was "Dutchess of Winchester", i believe. It sure didn't lack from water that summer - it rained just about every day until the middle of August! I have "Red Chimo" as well, and it did bloom a bit this fall. I thought it was gone in the spring, but it showed up. These mums are hardy to zone 3 but our growing season just isn't long enough that the plants bloom reliably every year. Both bloomed beautifully when we had a long fall.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

marciaz3, . . . was your chrysanthemum 'Duchess of Edinburgh'? rather than Duchess of Winchester? DoE is a semi-double, deep crimson red developed in the UK in 1948. It is a rubellum, the same as 'Mary Stoker' and 'Clara Curtis'. I've grown all three of these, and found that Clara (pink) is probably the most vigorous, followed by Mary (apricot). DoE died out on me both times I tried to grow it.
    I purchased two new hardy chrysanthemums this spring, at the RBG sale, but donated by a member, so no names, just colour labels. One is a white and the other a pretty mauve pink double.
    Right now, my 'Red Chimo', 'Hillside/Sheffield', 'Mei-Kyo' and un-named deep yellow double are blooming. 'Mary Stoker' is just past its peak bloom period.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duchess of Edinburgh mum

13 years ago

Ontnative, that could well be it. :) Looks the same as mine did. Here - found a picture:
    {{gwi:542778}}

Unfortunately both this one and Red Chimo are gone now. I think some wild filipendulas choked out Red Chimo, and DofE just disappeared.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Marciaz3, your picture of the double red mum is so pretty. Maybe I will have to try it again. I think it must be 'Duchess of Edinburgh'. That particular rubellum cultivar is seldom offered at nurseries or plant sales. However, there is a nursery near me that grew it for their butterfly garden, so I may check with them in the spring to ask if they still have it.

13 years ago

I keep telling myself that i don't need anymore plants, but i'm sure that if i saw it at a local nursery, it would somehow follow me home! :>