Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico6196

Corn Gluten Meal

nico6196
15 years ago

Anybody know where to give this? Apparently it helps with Crab grass, so we want to try it. TIA

Comments (17)

• bev_w
    15 years ago

What do you mean by "helps with crab grass"? Corn gluten doesn't kill crab grass. It only inhibits the germination of annual weed seeds.

If you live in a rural area you can often find corn gluten meal at livestock feed stores and grain mills. It will be labelled as a fertilizer or a feed additive, and it'll likely be in a forty-pound bag.

If you want to find corn gluten meal at a garden center you will have a difficult time. To my knowledge, only one brand has been approved by the PMRA (pesticide management review agency) as a herbicide. Only the biggest of the hort supply corporations will go to the trouble and expense of registering a generic product like corn gluten meal as a herbicide. They prefer to register patentable products (chemicals) they have developed in their own labs.

Be careful with the corn gluten. It's a huge hit of nitrogen-- about 10%. One application will supply all of your lawn's N needs for the whole season.

Timing is also critical. You need to put it on BEFORE the annual weeds germinate. If you miss-time it, you are just applying fertilizer.

- Bev

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip on where to purchase the corn gluten meal, Bev.

I have been looking for it everywhere and asking mostly people do`t seem to know about it

It sure is a fabulous product for the lawn
    I am going to look for it at the Co op

DO you think it is to late now to apply

Not so much as a pesticide but to benefit the lawn

How is it when applied to the garden itself

• sharont
    15 years ago

Here's an article explaining when to apply corn gluten products.
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h531cornglutenmeal

• bev_w
    15 years ago

I had to google the umn extension site to find the article, but it was pretty good. But the "down side" section did not mention the heavy hit of N you get from corn gluten. I wouldn't call it a "fabulous product for the lawn", because it is very high in Nitrogen-- and nothing else. Pure N, basically. So what you are going to get is a lot of very fast, very green top growth, with the roots and the rest of the plant wondering why there is no justice in the world.

So, to answer your questions...

No, do not put it on the lawn now. Fall is not the time to be encouraging lush greenery. If you want to fertilize the lawn now, use something that is complete (that is, has as many of the macro-nutrients as possible) and low in N. You want to encourage healthy, deep roots and overall robustness. The grass is getting ready for winter dormancy-- for sleepytime. It wants to rest, so lay off the N-- it's the horticultural equivalent of Jolt cola.

There are other natural topdressings and fertilizers that will do more benefit to the lawn than corn gluten. If you want to stay away from synthetic fertilizers, try topdressing with alfalfa fines (a really nice balanced mild fertilizer) or soya meal (higher in N but complete-- better to use in the spring). Topdressing with compost is always a good idea in the fall.

Using corn gluten in the garden-- well, again, I wouldn't use corn gluten on the garden unless I was mixing it with a bunch of other stuff to make a balanced pre-plant mix.

Whatever ingredients you choose, remember that these natural materials are "slow release". They need to be digested and broken down by soil organisms before their nutrients are made available to plant roots. So if you have soil that is not biologically active (dead, compacted, wormless) then you'd be better off mixing a whole lot of good live compost into the top six inches or so. That will do a lot to improve the quality of your soil so that it can process the natural fertilizers you want to use.

Hope this helps.

Bev

• ianna
    15 years ago

There's one thing about corn gluten not mentioned here-- it affects all germinating seeds, it doesn't make any distinction whether the seed is that of a weed, annual, perennial or grass seed. If you intend to reseed your lawn, then don't use the product. If you intend to spread annual seeds in your garden beds, then don't use the product.

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

Thanks

SOme very good information there ladies

Thanks

• nico6196
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a garden centre 5 minutes from my house that sells a corn gluten product (Amaizeingly Green - their website has a store locator). I was also looking for a product called TurfMaize and I emailed them and they told me where to try. We are going to try it in the spring.

• janina5309
    15 years ago

I've seen fertilizer with Corn Gluten Meal at the CANADIAN TIRE website, but it said that it's at select stores only. I have checked two stores here in Calgary and I couldn't find any. You should call the stores before wasting a trip.

• klharris_sympatico_ca
    12 years ago

I have heard that spreading Corn Gluten on the lawn takes care of Creeping Charlie and is pet friendly too. I have a southern exposure which means all day sun in the summer. The last few years the Charlie has taken more of the lawn and I'm not certain if the corn gluten is the best idea. This little weed is taking over everything and just a nuisance! Any help will do. Thanks.

• ianna
    12 years ago

Corn gluten prevents new seeds from germinating, that is all seeds from weeds to grass seeds. This is how it works. It's ineffective against plants or weeds.

I say, nothing works better than good old elbow grease.

• KCooley
    12 years ago

Scoots Canada carries a fertilizer thats easy to use with it in it. Its found in any hardware store, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart. Happy Gardening and they ahev a really great website if anyone has indepth questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scotts Canada

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

I love using corn gluten

I use it yes for weed prevention which I don't have many of but it really makes the grass nice and green
    I have had a problem sometimes though that if the birds notice it, next thing you know there is a flock of them on your lawn eating it all up.

not good for me
    good for them
    as it is a natural product

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

This reminds me that I have to get more. I buy mine at the Co-op in Stayner. I usually spread it in the spring and again in the early fall. I also have to leave the dog in the house or she will eat it! Marg

• swontgirl_z5a
    12 years ago

Hi Marg,
    How do you apply it in flower beds to prevent weed germination?
    Debbie

• glaswegian
    12 years ago

Hello to all my long time friends on here, how have you all been? I have been busy with military duties, now that am back in Canada and posted, I have to sell my house this Spring and buy another house along the 401, which means starting all over again with my garden

Talking of which, I added my first application of corn gluten meal to the lawn last week

The joy of moving and gardening :-)

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Debbie, I just broadcast it by hand. I don't know how pet friendly it is so I make sure I leave the dogs in the house or they eat it, the same with the snail bait. It seems to work. Just make sure you haven't planted any seeds there or it will also keep them from germinating. DH came home with 3 sacks of it the other day. Today it's drizzling a bit so I'm going out to spread it in the beds. Marg

• swontgirl_z5a
    12 years ago

Thanks Marg,
    What if your beds are mulched-which most of mine aren't right now.Can you cover it with mulch?
    I am confused as to how you can keep the dogs away from it forever-or does it sink into the soil and disappear or something. Sorry-I am having trouble picturing this! My poor lab cross puts on weight from fresh air and sunshine-she sure doesn't need to eat corn gluten meal from on top of my gardens all summer!
    Debbie

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery