Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico6196

What do you do with your Butterfly Bush?

nico6196
15 years ago

We had a new beautiful butterly bush last year whose tag said to prune hard in the spring, which we did. It ended up dying (not sure if it died over the winter or in the spring). I bought a new one, and put in a different location and it's tag says to prune hard in the spring as well. I understand some butterfly bushes should be pruned in the fall and others in the spring. What do you do? Any ideas on getting this new one to come back next summer?

Comments (5)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I used to live in Bowmanville, also Z5a. I never did anything to overwinter my buddlea. It always came back each spring. In the spring you have to cut your buddlea back hard, I did mine to about 5". Cut it back as soon as you see new growth starting. Some buddleas are late putting on new growth, mine always started in June. Good luck. Marg

• sharont
    15 years ago

Don't prune in the fall and wait as Marg said for new shoots in spring. Then cut above those by 5 inches. If your bush is located where lots of snow gathers such as under a sloping roof, the new growth may start higher than at ground level. Waiting is the key to pruning back the dead branches of this half hardy shrub.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

'Waiting is the key to pruning back the dead branches of this half hardy shrub.'

'Cut it back as soon as you see new growth starting. Some buddleas are late putting on new growth, mine always started in June.'

Could not have said it better. I even wait until the new growth has really taken off, and then decide whether I want to prune it hard or not since some of mine don't die back as hard as others do. But remember that the more branching off you have, the more blooms you are going to get.

This is also an easy perennial to grow from seed and the following shows a photo in my gardens of one that Mama Nature sowed for me next to a Hydrangea this year. Unbelievable how fast they grow in just one season given the right circumstances!! You can even see a newly released Monarch on the left. (We raise them. :O)

{{gwi:542816}}

We have many Buddleias on the property, all grown from seed via the winter sowing method. Last year out of 13 newly planted ones, only two did not survive the winter, and I don't mulch or protect either. The last one to start showing growth began growing in early July and was a stunning dark purple with stubby flowers - not the long panicles. I hope it comes back next year!!

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Tiffy: I was going to try winter sowing buddlea this winter. It's nice to see how well they do. I have always started them indoors but no more! Thanks. Marg

• ianna
    15 years ago

I started my buddlea seeds indoors in March and I was surprised to see how easy they grew. I've now too many shrubs in my garden, unsure where to place them all.

As for cutting back on the plant in spring, wait till new growth comes up. Another thing, in spring, we still experience freezing,snow etc... so don't be in a hurry to cut back - wait until we are well past the last freezing. I use the same treatments with roses, limelight hydrangea, lavenders.

Ianna

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz