Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_16

BEST Vegetable Varieties (yield, taste, pests, disease, etc.)

donna_16
14 years ago

Hello all,

New to this site, and I must say, it is pretty addicting..I find myself ending up on a thread that had nothing to do with my original search.. LOL. LOADS of great information - already have a small duo-tang full. Keep the great info coming!!!

I have more space in the garden now, so will be adding new veggies next year.. Getting pumped already, and summer just ended here!! In your opinion and experience please tell me your favorite varieties for the following vegetables:

Bean (Runner or climbers)

Beet

Cabbage

Carrot

Celery

Corn

Cucumber (Slicing)

Cucumber (Pickling)

Garlic

Green/Red Pepper (Sweet)

Jalapeno

Lettuce (Loose Leaf, green, red)

Onion (Sweet)

Pea (climbing)

Potato

Radish

Spinach

Strawberry

Swiss Chard

Tomato (Slicing, Canning, Salsa)

Tomato (Cherry)

Just Copy and Re-post =) Much appreciated.

Donna =)

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

We don't grow as much garden as we used to so I will only include what we grow

Bean (Runner or climbers)---- We grow bush beans. Royal burgandy--a purple bean that turns bright green when cooked. It's tender and never stringy and Gold crop a good yellow bean

Beet
    Cabbage
    Carrot
    Celery
    Corn ----------------sugar baby a bicolor early super sweet sweet 67 days great for northern climates and excellent flavor

Cucumber (Slicing) --sweet slice, a burpless long european variety

Cucumber (Pickling) hands down it has to be Cool Breeze hybrid--a small vine and leaves it's ideal for small gardens, all female flowers, grows to a maximum 4 to 6 inches. It has good flavor for eating and is great for pickling

Garlic
    Green/Red Pepper (Sweet) We grow only green sweet peppers--our season is too short for the colored ones. I like big bertha.

Jalapeno
    Lettuce (Loose Leaf, green, red) We grow red sails leaf lettuce-- nice flavor and never gets bitter even when it's old and either a baby leaf blend or muscilin mix

Onion-- (Sweet) We grow dutch sets.

Pea-- (climbing) My husband loves peas. We grow 2 kinds --green arrow 67 days and knight 57 days. That way we extend the season and don't have everything maturing at once

Potato-- We grow lots of potatoes and 3 varieties with different growing conditions. Red chieftan who like it moist, Superior who like it dry and hot and Kenebecs who usually produce no matter what, some years better than others.

Radish --I switch it up and grow several kinds during the summer. I only plant a few at a time.

Spinach
    Strawberry --I like the everbearing ones--no special variety

Swiss Chard --no special variety

Tomato (Slicing, Canning, Salsa) -I usually have 3 different kinds. I find bush beefsteak a reliable producer, but the others I'm always changing.

Tomato (Cherry)--If you can get a hold of Sunsugar you simply have to try them. At maturity they are a golden yellow and good tasting--my grandkids eat them like candy

• halaeva
    14 years ago

Hi Donna
    Wee grow Tomatoes Beefstake-our choice and Cherry Tomatoes, the smallest and sweetest 'Sweet Million'
    Iam getting inspired by your thread and will grow more vegetables next year.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

On the topic of peas... I grow about 5 different varieties to maximize the season. When I select pea varieties, I look at the days-to-maturity information and select on that basis, so we start getting peas within about 50 days and still have them at 70 days or so.

I agree with halaeva that Sweet Million are some of the best cherry tomatoes. Although they do get some blight, they are more disease resistant than most, and three plants produce more tomatoes than we can keep up with!

• donna_16
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes!! The yellow "baby tomatoes" are delicious (I never knew what they were called - I will be sure to keep on the lookout for them next year!), as well as Sweet million!

Definitely a smart idea with the two different maturity dates for the peas. Thanks for the tips!

Donna=)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Most of my garden is planted with perennials, shrubs and vines but I do have places to grow my must haves :o).

Beans are one of our favorite vegetables so I grow several kinds of heritage pole beans, Cherokee Trail of Tears, an Italian bean I've been growing for 40 years, this one came over in the early 1900's and Mr. Tung beans that came over from China early 1900's

Lettuce, a variety from Croatia the seed given to me quite a few years ago. This is a lovely butter crunch with a nice texture.

Celebrity Tomatoes, still my favorite but looking for a comparable, open pollenated, determinate variety to take it's place.

Cherry tomatoes, Cheerio and Snow White.

Diva Cucumbers did really well, lovely crisp flesh. These plus Zucchini were grown in the top of compost boxes.

Corn not sure which one grew well in a perennial bed that is being overhauled, trying to get rid of the couch grass that has invaded this bed, so it's being continually dug over, don't want to revert to chemicals.

And... herbs which are sprinkled here and there throughout the garden.

I didn't have any trouble with pests or disease this year, probably because we had a decent summer weather wise. I'm trying to switch over to all open pollinated varieties (preferably heritage) veggies so I can keep my own seed from year to year.

Annette

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Of course this depends on where you live as well, but I am always comparing with family, friends and neighbors to try and improve on what I have. Some of these are the winners of taste tests performed from family get togethers. To me taste is first, followed by vigor, disease resistance etc.

Bean (Runner or climbers)- only grow bush - blue lagoon nice and straight, no strings, great flavor.
    Beet - red ace
    Cabbage - don't have a favorite yet
    Carrot - have tried a few nantes type varieties...can't tell difference in taste, so grow for conditions
    Celery
    Corn - have tried lots...honey select or serendipity
    Cucumber (Slicing)- sweet delight, diva
    Cucumber (Pickling)
    Garlic
    Green/Red Pepper (Sweet)- new ace
    Jalapeno
    Lettuce (Loose Leaf, green, red)
    Onion (Sweet)- candy (keeps better than they say) I have onions til Apr
    Pea (climbing)
    Potato - red norland
    Radish - crimson giant
    Spinach - haven't found a winner yet
    Strawberry
    Swiss Chard
    Tomato (Slicing, Canning, Salsa)- moscovich (early), black russian (ugly but best flavor), palmiras (large and pasty-very late)
    Tomato (Cherry) - sungold
    You might like to peruse this website which allows people to rate their vege experience from everywhere.
    Flora

Here is a link that might be useful: vege varieties for home gardeners

• donna_16
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annette: Beans are one of my fav's as well..I LOVE pickled beans!! Will definitely try your choices :-p Yes, Celebrity is one, if not, the best determinate tomato!! And a herb garden is a must!! I have mint, chocolate mint, oregano, basil(LOVE pesto sauce), dill, cilantro (a MUST), parsley, chives, lavender, and rosemary. Plan to add thyme and sage next year.

Flora: Thank you for the link you provided (already book marked in my garden folder :-p) I have marked the Ace Pepper on my list to try! I see you are in the same zone as I am ... Have you ever tried the Walla Walla Onion? I tried it at a restaurant once, and it was really yummy. I plan to order some seeds in the spring.

You both suggested the Diva Cucumber - must taste good!!

Donna =)

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Hi Donna,
    Haven't tried growing the Walla onion, but I know it doesn't keep well. The Candy onion is a cross between a keeper and the sweet, and thus you get the best of both worlds.
    We are in the same zones....are you in BC as well?
    Flora

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting