Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (9)

• User
    11 years ago

Let us trade with the US - let us trade with Europe.

I don't think it's right for GW to decide who I can and cannot trade with. The US now lets gardeners trade seeds without needing special paperwork. And I've never known trading with Europe to be a problem.

I've been on GW since 1997 - I have had my account changed by GW when there was a transition. I am a founding member of GW and this has really irked me for some time now.

Kindly consider treating us like Adults as Spike did in the past. Also you still have numerous links on web pages with Spike leading to no where. Try using your search engine for Spike - it might help.

Thank you,
    Peggy

aka Queensharbot, Gardendoll, McPeg

• User
    11 years ago

Spam - could a button automatically be placed in each post so that it can be clicked on to report spam? "Report Spam" and once clicked the post changes to a button like "Spam Reported" with a function that automatically sends a copy of the post to your tech support to alert them to remove the spam and delete the users account? It may help reduce the spammers if they know they can be quickly deleted for one thing. Also would save a lot of frustration for the members to report it.

Thank you,
    Peggy

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Good idea, Peggy!

• Heather Macdonald
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I'm back after many years, don't remember how to add to my page...help! anytime I try, I end up on some "name that plant" page.
    Heather

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

How about the site automatically detecting your time zone so that all the posts are at our own time not on Eastern Time?

• greylady_gardener
    11 years ago

A prompt response to a report of spam(by having it removed), or at least an acknowledgement that the report has been received, so that we know that you got it. :-)

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

I have no particular feedback
    other than to say
    I have been a member of garden web for years

Always a pleasure and so much information to be found

Amazing

• rose0lavender
    11 years ago

I guess the better search engine would be something I would have suggested, but you seem to already be working on that.

My main suggestions would be to update the look of the entire website. It should be something easy to use of course, but a bit more sleek in design. I would also love to see html editing for posts! I would enjoy seeing some colour, diversity in text, and able to add bullet points, bold words, italicized ones, etc. I think a good forum (not that this website isn't already awesome) allows for greater post editing, aside from being able to just go back and fix up a spelling error, or to add more information.

Since this is a forum based website, a sleek design would actually improve user ease of use. What I notice we lack on this website is the use of the right panel of the page. It is almost always blank. It can be utilized to make it more convenient to search for things. For instance, there can also be a drop down list for every forum on the right hand side, removing some of the pages we use to get from forum to forum, such as this page: -> http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/rosesind/

This page would be unnecessary if you used the right panel and had a drop-down list function to get to the lists.

This will make the website look more modern and easier to use.

On the other hand, these pages can be kept, and the site can still look modern by having a website border to fill in the empty sides, having the text more centered, leaving less blank space, and giving a better sense of organization and modernity.

Ahh... sorry for the ramble. I am just brainstorming.

edit:

ivillage.ca the main page is a great example of having borders and the information centered.

This post was edited by gardencarnation on Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 14:13

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?