Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swontgirl_z5a

Carob - Ceratonia siliqua

swontgirl_z5a
14 years ago

Hi,

I received some Carob seeds for Mother's day from Richters. I started them and now have several very nice little plants. I never put them in the garden because it says they are tender perennials and I knew I would only have to take them out again. My question is what can I do with them now? Does anyone know if they will grow as a houseplant and if so what conditions they like? I have searched for carob only to find references to it being a wonderful tree in about zone 9. Any suggestions?

Debbie

Comments (11)

• halaeva
    14 years ago

Hi Debie.
    I do not intent to disappoint you, but Corab is hardy to US zone 8-9. Therefore couldn't be grown in our gardens in our climate.I would try to grow the trees as houseplants in pots of a tropical soil.Your plants are young so can get filtered light only (sunny window with sheer drapes)Start to fertilize them with a half of a recommended amount of a balanced fertilizer when they are fully established .Mist them with water every day and water them sparingly,more if they grow rapidly. You can take them outside when the weather reaches 10C in nights.
    Wishing you success in growing your trees-
    Hala.

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

I just looked the tree up.
    Interesting for sure
    Seems it can be grown readily in California and sometimes Florida

Interesting tree and the chocolate like fruit is very low in calories.
    But to get it to grow seems difficult for us in Canada.

How large are your plants?
    At least you can try to overwinter them and see what happens.

• ianna
    14 years ago

I've seen in recent years a proliferation of tropical trees being sold as houseplants. One of those is coffee.

Since the source of this plant is from Richters, do contact them for advise. Obviously you will have to keep them as a houseplant and take it outdoors during summer. So maintaining it's health indoors is the unknown. If this is a tree that grows below the forest canopy, like coffee, it can deal with dim lights. It probably can survive simply being under regular flourescent lights and a shop light with 3 or more lights, will do. Water should always be minimal during winter. Meaning, don't let the soil try out but don't keep it very wet. The tree size will be determined by the size of the pot so if you don't want a huge tree, keep the pot small (but that means frequent watering). Also once the tree grows too tall, lop off the stem leader which will force it to branch out. The only way to keep a tree small is the size of the pot and by pruning its branches.

fertilizing- use tropical fertilizers but don't do it in winter. Even tropical plants will go into a form of dormancy even indoors. It's more a reaction to reduced daylight than it is to the cold. Some tropicals will respond to reduced daylight by shedding it's leaves or suffering die backs.

Ianna

• swontgirl_z5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. I think I will try to keep it in the basement for the winter. They are about 6" tall right now. They are really a very attractive plant with a nice shape right off the bat. They have been kept in afternoon shade outside my garage door all summer so I don't think the reduced light should hurt them too much. I have about 15 so I am hoping to give some away to members of my Horticulture Society. It will be nice to give them some care info with them. Thanks again!!
    Debbie
    I will post a photo of them for your interest when I have a few minutes.

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

Looking forward to seeing a picture of them

• swontgirl_z5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's 2 photos of my Carob plants. They have really nice thick shiny leaves and kind of remind me of a holly shrub. The stems are red and the new foliage is brown. I have brought them in and hope they dry out some. Everything is floating out there:(
    Debbie
    {{gwi:543213}}
    {{gwi:543214}}

• ianna
    14 years ago

Nice.. Actually they resemble my bayleaf tree except that the leaves aren't as pointed as mine. From the looks of them I think they are below canopy type plants. The one thing you may need to watch out for are bugs like mealy bugs and scale.

• swontgirl_z5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the help ianna. I hope I can keep them going in the house.

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

hanks for the pictures

Nice healthy looking plants

I was shoping today got some real bargains

A Six foot tall Redbud tree that had been $109.00 for $10.00 Some other plants as well
    Odd things that I forget the names of

Was tired when I got home this evening Left them all sitting outside with their tags Will bring in the tags tomorrow and see just all what I purchased at rock bottom prices

Just love the Red Bud tees Will see if it survives winter here in Barrie

But for 10.00 I don't mind taking a chance

• ianna
    14 years ago

good luck with the redbud diane. I tried it in my zone but it died. My landscaper who teaches the craft in a well known college here mentioned that it wasn't that hardy in my zone is so it's survival was iffy. However I have spotted a couple of redbuds growing in a protected area in a neighborhood not far from my place. Perhaps there's hope. By the way, Barrie is zone 4 isn't it?

• swontgirl_z5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Diane,
    Where did you get your bargains?