Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

East coast fall gardening getting confusing...

tiffy_z5_6_can
17 years ago

Usually I'm running around trying to catch up to the end of summer and beginning of fall gardening chores at this time of year. But this year is different.

I finished putting things in the ground early, and am ready to do some gardening for fall yet the weather is not really fallish. The leaves have turned here but the days are in the high teens and warm. There has been a couple of frosts, yet things rebounded. Just twenty minutes away in the city of Halifax, the trees have yet to lose their leaves and most are still green.

Two days ago I found myself cleaning a garden as if it was the begining of July... Today I just walked around in a daze wondering if I should start cutting things back such as the Phlox Paniculata asking myself if they'll get the wrong message and start growing again. Then I wondered if I should compost mulch the garden I cleaned out yesterday for the winter to get ahead.

It's nice to have weather like this, but the confusion is starting to get to me. Used to be the gardens were put to sleep at this time of year, but it's not that simple anymore. The October harvest moon which used to invite this yearly ritual is no longer reliable.

This global warming thing is confusing.

Meanwhile I see snowstorms around the great lakes making the news. I'll take what I have, but I'm still confused... Suggestions anyone? Kick-start me here please!!!!

Comments (9)

• jaro_in_montreal
    17 years ago

I just checked the forecast for next week, here in Montreal, and it looks like we'll be having double-digit highs (Celsius) for much of October, with above-freezing lows at night.
    I don't know if this is above normal or not, but I'm glad its warm, so that the 10 conifer cultivars I just received from Oregon by mail order, get a chance to acclimatize, before we plunge into the deep freeze....
    They're supposed to be going dormant about now, but I'm sure its warmer where they came from, and avoiding shocks is no doubt desirable -- particularly for those that are zone-marginal to start with.

So, no complaints here :O)

• jaro_in_montreal
    17 years ago

According to the 14 Day Trend graph, we're in fact pretty close to average temps for this time of year, until the end of the month, when its supposed to get cold (but we'll see if that actually happens, or not....)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

As far as Montreal goes, this is pretty normal - we drop off in temps very quickly around the beginning of November. It'll go from this half decent weather to below freezing and snow in no time :-(

I used to love these warm days growing up in NS! My parent's house backed on what was a big forest at the time (it's all built up in the last couple of decades) and I would spend all day in there tromping through the leaves. There was a big blackberry field too, and a few old crab apple trees that made super sour jelly! For Thanksgiving weekend we went to visit my grandparents - that stretch of highway between Antigonish and New Glasgow had the best leaves - and I remember it could be miserable with cold rain or beautiful and warm with sun. And the best part was no mosquitoes :-)

BP

• jaro_in_montreal
    17 years ago

A very picteresque memory BP -- thanks for sharing!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No mosquitoes - my head loves not being assualted by my hands at this time of year! :)

BP - You are right. The smell of the leaves in the woods is nice and the colours are so vibrant. Not the best picture, but this is the tree across the road which always turns first. It was in it's fall 'prime' about a week ago.

{{gwi:543288}}

Another nice day coming up today after a heavy rainfall yesterday. Guess I'll tend to the compost and get some more seaweed today...

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

Very pretty tree! Montreal has planted a large number of Norway maples (stupid weed trees! I hate them!) and they don't turn other than a dull yellow. The mountain (big park in the middle of the city) still has quite a few sugar maples though, so I do get to see some colour.

Last year at this time we went to a friend's wedding held at an inn nearby. The inn also produces maple syrup, so they had a huge number of sugar maples. The drive up was stunning and I had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the woods to go to the actual wedding :-)

Are you on St Margaret's Bay or on one of the lakes tiffy? I know you're in the area, and I see water... That looks like it would be a nice view in the winter too!

BP

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BP,
    We live on the Prospect Peninsula in the village of Prospect Bay, but on the Shad Bay side of the peninsula. We're just one house away from Shad Bay itself, and you'll often find one of us at one of our neighbour's docks fishing or swimming in the summer. My favourite thing to do is to bring our Black Lab, Raven to see her boyfriend Milo (also a BL) and just throw sticks in the water for them to go and fetch. I could spend all day doing that!

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

tiffy - that sounds like a great way to spend the summer :-) There's s big pond in a nearby park and we always see people tossing things in for their dogs (usually retrievers of some sort!) to fetch - the dogs look like they could do that all day!

jaro - are you on or off the island? We get kind of shortchanged with the really nice fall colours on the island it seems!

BP

• jaro_in_montreal
    17 years ago

Hi BP,
    You ask, "on or off the island?"
    ...guess that depends on whether you count the Lachine Canal or not :O)
    I'm actually not far from the old Fleming windmill, which is shown in LaSalle's logo.
    I take the Lachine Canal bike path to work (downtown) every day, so I certainly see the fall colours -- particularly as I loop around the far western end of the bike path, at Parc Rene Levesque, and then the continuation south along the St.Lawrence River, passing by the windmill....
    I also go up to Mount Royal for a lunchtime hike almost every day -- lots of colours there these days! (between the rainy days, that is!)
    This reminds me though, that I haven't been to the Adirondacks yet this fall... Something to consider, before its too late.

Here's a fall colours photo from my garden, which I posted elsewhere recently....

{{gwi:543290}}

....the tiny Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph' (lower left) is only starting to turn yellow now -- in winter it will be a pure bright yellow colour. Its a very slow grower, but I'm hoping to have a real showpiece specimen in another 10 to 20 years.... Its probably one of only a handful in all of Quebec (imported from Oregon this spring).

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner