Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Nova Scotia Gardeners - Plant Swap 2006?

tiffy_z5_6_can
18 years ago

Well, it's the last day of daylight savings time, and I can't think of a better way to end the season than to start preparing for the next!

I am interested in knowing if any of you would be interested in doing a plant swap next year possibly late June. I would be very willing to hold it at my home - if the weather doesn't co-operate, we'd have a nice large basemnet to exchange our plants.

Nothing is set in stone as of now so any suggestions/questions can be noted and as the fall, winter, and spring progress, we can start to 'mold' this gathering of the Bluenosers!

Just let me know through this post if you are interested.

Nicole.

Comments (23)

• mora
    18 years ago

I'm in Nicole, Let's get planning! Martha

• msjean
    18 years ago

I'll be there with bells on :))

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's great! Let's see if we can get some more gardeners on board!

• mora
    18 years ago

I can't find the previous post about NS gardeners getting together but I know we talked about it earlier! Can anyone help Martha

• AtHomeNS
    18 years ago

Someone remind me when we get closer to the date! I'll be interested, I'm sure!

• merrilee
    18 years ago

Sounds like a great idea!

• onewheeler
    18 years ago

Sounds like it would be a great time. I have a plant sale every year and would love to bring all my left over plants to the swap, I usually have tons of stuff to trade.

My biggest problem is driving in the city. Maybe Msjean and I can hook up in Burnside Park or somewhere easy for me to get to.

Valerie

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's great! I think I will keep tabs on who is expressing interest at this time and possibly throughout the winter, and then start really setting things up in April.

Valerie, I'm sure we can figure something out for you to get here!

I think we have a great group of gardeners here in NS, and would welcome meeting everyone!

I would also like to extend an invitation to new gardeners! So do join in!

Nicole.

• msjean
    18 years ago

Valerie...Burnside sounds good to me. I'll bring along your Lady Elsie May.:)

• onewheeler
    18 years ago

Jean, you have a date! LOL William Morris will be along for the trip too! I have spring fever already, this will be something really fun to look forward to.

Thanks for suggesting it Nicole.

Valerie

• mora
    18 years ago

I'm already stressing over what I can bring! My garden is so young! Please tell Mora to take a "chill pill" It's going to be fine! It's going to be fine ! Anyone else feeling enthusiastically inadequate? M

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Awww, M, it's going to be fine! Think of it more as a get-together with plants as the pot-luck dishes! Don't need to bring an army of plants, just a few will do.

Breath in, breath out. LOL!!

• msjean
    18 years ago

I have no idea what I'll bring either...but I'll know next spring :)
    I've never been to a plant swap before...so what will be happening?
    Will we bring food and have a picnic as well and how do you decide who gets what plant..etc ??
    Inquiring minds want to know...LOL

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jean,
    I have posted on the Exchange Forum asking those who have done these plant swaps for info on how they go about it. Hopefully I'll get some info soon as I'd like to know as well how it's been done in the past.

Going into this a bit blind, but I think it would be a cool thing for us to do!

I know I have a few things in the holding bed, and come the spring I know that divisions are going to have to be made in the gardens.

And during the swap, maybe we could plan for the following year as well and let others know what we have and may take cuttings of.

It's a learning experience!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just to let everyone know, I've received some very good info on other plant swaps. I'm printing them and sometime this winter will get them all together and post to see what we want to do!

One neat idea was to exchange not only plants, but garden trinkets, books, supplies, etc., so for those of you who feel you don't have enough, you might consider such items and sign-up just the same!

• mora
    18 years ago

Great idea Tiffy! (not stressing anymora)LOL M

• mora
    18 years ago

I do have some nice ivy... English and Baltic... should anyone want some ???should I start it in the house now or wait until spring?M

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mora,

I would like some - I have a slope that I need to start doing something with, and the ivy sounds like a solution. I like the Baltic - that's the variegated, right?

I was reading a bit on them and I think they are easier to root in the spring.

• mora
    18 years ago

Well mine is pretty green, I also have any amount of Virginia creeper, which is of course invasive... but beautiful in the right circumstances, ivy... the gift that keeps on giving LOL M

• mora
    18 years ago

How many have we got on board now?M

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just getting through the Holidays right now. I've got things printed in a little file, and I'll let you know after the New Year, OK?

I also plan on bringing this up closer to March, and am watching for other NS Garden Webers who pop-up every once in a while and might be interested so as to e-mail and invite.

• amandac2006
    18 years ago

I am interested! Count me in!LOL! emmi5ca@yahoo.com

• tcskitten
    14 years ago

I'm located in Bedford, NS...... anyone ever see any "shrub trading"? Does anyone do any layering (leaf propagating of hydrangea here in NS)?

.... :)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions