Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peatpod

Its almost catalog time!!!

peatpod
14 years ago

Well everyone .. its almost that time of year again ... seed catalogs!!!! So I thought I would try to get everyone going and ask the simple questions ...

What annuals can you not live without!!!! And what will you be keeping your eyes peeled for????

Comments (14)

• bev_w
    14 years ago

From Parks:

Amaranthus 'Dreadlocks'-- not for the form but rather the flower colour. It's a bright pink. In a book on Santa Fe gardens I saw a photo of a huge Amaranth "meadow", with all colours of Amaranth mixed in. It was just incredible. I already have a dark purple, a gold, and now I need a pink...

Celosia 'China Town'. To mix in with my patch of Gomphrena "Strawberry Fields". I hope the two will play nicely-- both are self-seeders. With any luck the two reds will work together, and contrast in flower form will make the garden more interesting.

Delosperma 'Stardust'. I tried a Delosperma a few years ago. Really nice, but not perennial as I'd hoped. Trying again with this one, which will work nicely in the rock garden and also out on one of the "front 40" xeric beds.

From Dianes:

Gaillardia grandiflora 'Burgundy' --'cause I can't figure out what to do with all those bicoloured ones!. I mean, they're so hard to place in a border. The plain burgundy ones should be easier to fit in.
    Antirrhinum braun-blanquetii (Perennial Snapdragon) I already grow the dwarf perennial snap Antirrhinum molle, which is lovely but every winter it barely survived. Hoping this one will be a bit more robust.
    Lavatera trimestris 'Mont Blanc' Why don't more people grow Lavatera? It's a terrific gorgeous annual shrub.
    Papaver paeoniflorum 'White Cloud' Can't believe I don't have any poppies in the garden. Okay, there's one--a pale purple that I don't like. Gotta fix that.
    Penstemon virgatus 'Blue Buckle' (becoming a Penstemon addict...)

In May, when I was awash in seedlings, I swore I would not get carried away with seeds again. But those memories fade so fast and the seed catalogues are so pretty...

If someone has a cure for this, please post it!

Oh, and the Canadian dollar will soon be at par, which makes Parks and T&M more affordable. I wish there were some Canadian seed houses that offered the breadth and depth of the biggies in the US.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

You must get your catalogues from different seed companies than I do. Mine come in sometime around Christmas. I order from T+ T Seeds, Veseys and Stokes.

However, I always order Marigolds--several different kinds,Tempo Impatiens, Petunias--a few different ones, Phlox, Nicotiana, Snap Dragons, Allyssum, Geraniums, and Rudbeckia.

I will be on the look out for Cappuccino or Chocolate Rudbeckia. I had Chocolate last year and loved it but couldn't find it this year so I tried Cappuccino and loved it even more than Chocolate.

• xaroline
    14 years ago

Most of the catalogues are on line.
    I want seeds for a tall red amaranthus.
    Tall double rudebeckia lanceolata."Goldenglow"
    Tall pink lavatera.

• xaroline
    14 years ago

There is a list of catalogues at:

gardenlist.com

Cindy's List of Garden catalogues.

• xaroline
    14 years ago

The Thompson and Morgan catalogue came last week.
    It is on line at thompsonmorgan.ca
    Today the Suttons catalogue came.
    It is on line at suttons.co.uk Remember prices are in British pounds so multiply by approx $1.80 per pound.

• owbist
    14 years ago

My Stokes catalogue arrived November 13th.

Their online 2010 catalogue appears to be up also.

• xaroline
    14 years ago

The Stokes organization is one of my favorites. They date their seeds and give a germination rate. They are supporting the Global Crop Diversity fund.

• syrinth
    14 years ago

I just got mine from Dominion Seedhouse, so happy.

I need Celosia, and I have discovered a love for Coleus. :D

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

McFayden's yesterday. Is Dominion's a regular catalogue? The last thing i got from them was pretty much just a price list.

• xaroline
    14 years ago

The Dominion catalogue is a big glossy one.
    I was disappointed with it as it is not carrying any open pollinated varieties.
    And it is going mostly towards selling plants and leaving seed savers out.
    I find them a little on the pricey side too.
    Caroline

• sheryl_ontario
    14 years ago

I got mine from Dominion Seed House on Friday! I am looking mostly at veggies. I already have more ornamental seeds than I can possibly plant from trades.

I want stringless sugar snap peas and yellow wax pole beans. These two things seem hard to find.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Country DIY Blog

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

Where can I get some catalogs that carry some house plants that are Canadian?

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

In the past week, I have received both Veseys and Dams catalogues. From Veseys, I like the new 'Strawberry Cream' nasturtiums. I like the fact that they are going to be shorter than the older varieties. I'm also going to order the 'Cherry Brandy' Rudbeckia. Dams has a new carnation I like 'Picotee Fantasy, a beautiful streaked variety. The new Flax 'Charmer Mix' is nice with different colors in it. I also like the new petunia 'Picobella Mix'. It's replacing the 'Fantasy' I used to get. That's it for the new flowers I like, now to search the vegies! Marg

• donna_jj
    14 years ago

Cottage Gardener's catalogue arrived on the 24th, they offer the alpine lady's mantle which I have been looking for for over a year (www.cottagegardener.com). Solana seeds also has their 2010 listing online (http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/welcome.html) and they have the most interesting melons and kales. I am eagerly awaiting Florabunda's catalogue and the new listing from Garden's north, that should occupy some time on these cold days!