Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gooseneck plant (lysimachia clethroides) invasive?

Posted by madtripper 5/6 Guelph (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 21:30

In another forum people were reporting this plant as invasive, but most were in warmer zones.

Do people have problems with it in Zone 5?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gooseneck plant (lysimachia clethroides) invasive?

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 17, 05 at 17:11

I used to have it at my old house, and loved it. It would be nice here too.

Yes, it can be invasive, but if you treat it like a mint ( which it is not) but if you treat it like it is, and contain the roots, you should have minimal difficulty with it. It is not the same as the purple loosestrife.

o

Knowing that it could be invasive, I've planted mine in a small area surrounded by huge boulders with Lysimachia 'Firecracker' which is a close family member, and Ribbon Grass. The boulders are like icebergs - you only see 1/4 of them above ground, and they won't let any plant in there get out!

But all three plants have behaved quite well in this garden. They are not really 'duking it out'. The soil is very lean, although I'm amending with compost more and more. Because of this I see a bit of a difference.

Nice plant, but do watch it. For us zone 5ers, I think it is much more well behaved.

o

I made the mistake of planting this a couple years ago. It was well behaved the first year and second then tried to take over my yard the third. I dug out every little piece of root I could find this spring and still it came back with a vengence. I guess it will be time to get out the Roundup next spring. It has already invaded the roots of some of my more desirable plants :(
I'm not much farther south than you (Sarnia), so I wouldn't take the chance in planting it or as some have mentioned, plant it in a pot to contain it. It IS such a pretty plant.

o

It as taken over my yard to . You sure have to contain it.
wyndyacre the roundup will be my task in this comming spring to.

o

It is a very pretty plant and I do enjoy the blooms but I find it to be very aggressive. I planted Gooseneck Loostrife on my property about 16 years ago. In rich soil, in sun, it is a thug. Since I really enjoy the plant, I put it in a raised bed in dry shade and there, it is well behaved. I also use it as a container plant and have overwintered it for the last 5 years without a problem (I do tip the pot on its side after a hard freeze). Over the years, I have met and liked many invasive plants and those that run by roots (not self seeders or noxious weeds), I containerize in large pots and these including the infamously invasive but very pretty Euphorbia cyparissias (Cypress Spurge) and Ranunculus repens 'Buttered Popcorn' (Creeping Buttercup) amongst others.

o

As a follow-up to my statement about overwintering invasive plants in pots, I just want to restate that I am really only referring to plants that are invasive because they have running roots, not plants that reseed like Malva, Rudbeckia triloba or Euphorbia polychroma.

The way that I overwinter my potted plants is that I use very large containers (at least 12" in diameter). All we do is take the pots and put them on their sides in an area where I am sure to have good snow cover. At the beginning of May, when the weather is warmed up and after the last frost date (which for Montreal is May 3rd - you can look this information up on the internet by city), we upright our pots. It works very well for all species that are hardy in Canadian Zones 5 and less (for me).

Here is a link that might be useful: First and Last Frost Dates for Canadian cities

o

It is invasive but easy to control. I have them in one part of my garden and simply pull out any that start spreading around. It is a very pretty plant. I give them away with the warning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here