anyone growing Dahlias?

Posted by diane_v_44 Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 23:32

I had a very good year for Dahlias and brugmansia this year
No frost yet, in Barrie Ontario
The plants are loaded with bloom

I don't take pictures Well sometimes I do take photos but never post them
I would love to see some photos of other Dahlia gardens

Sometimes when I bring them in I just leave them in large pots and store with no winter care in an unheated sun room where both the Dahlias and Brugmansia most years survive
I have misplaced and mixed up names of my plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone growing Dahlias?

thanks grey lady

o

I have a couple cactus types which I suppose I now have to take in. I haven't dug them out yet. Groan.. another task. Well I usually let them dry out and then dust them with sulfur, wrap them up in moist newspapers and then bag them up in a plastic bag and store away til next spring.

o

does seem a lot of work Ianna doesn't it

I know when I was younger was not such a lot of work, or so it seemed.

Have most of my things in now. Some of the Dahlias I brought in rather than putting them into paperbags or whatever I put them in their entirety into pots with fresh dirt
Suits my household more so as I no longer have a cool place

A cold spot but not just low room temperature cold

anyway put two pieces of sod down today Not sure if they will make it or not Had an area to be resodded and I got it finished about two weeks ago My own self was a lot of work Was two pieces short and did not get around to getting the two pieces until yesterday
looks good hope the last two pieces will take oka
y

o

I live in Toronto. Dahlias are one of my favourite plants. I dig up the tubers and store them in the cold cellar. I had many larger plants last year (20?), and hope to plant even more this year. I've found tomato cages provide fairly good support without the work involved with staking and tying. some dollar stores sell the cages at much better prices than the gardening stores.

o

I love dahlias! I like all the tender things that I dig up in the fall as I can put them wherever I need them in the spring. I just took out my 10 small brugs that were overwintered. I'm giving them a head start in the house now. They will go outside when May gets here.

Below is a pic of my 'Keri Blue' dahlia in an old rocker. Sadly, I no longer have it :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: My Keri Blue Dahia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here