Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

source for large nursery pots?

bonniepunch
16 years ago

I'm looking for large black nursery pots - ones that are at least 14" in diameter. Does anyone know good place to buy them?

BP

Comments (14)

• jimmyjojo
    16 years ago

Hi bonniep,

This place manufactures them but you have to buy in bulk.
    www.itml.com
    http://www.itml.com/products.php?g=8&p=

Here is a link that might be useful: black plastic nursery pots

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just want a dozen or so - ordering by the case or pallet is a bit too much for me :-)

BP

• cailinriley
    16 years ago

Maybe your local garden centre will sell you some? Doesn't hurt to ask.

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

You could try approaching some landscape companies for pots. They have a ton of them left over after planting out their jobs and often will give them away. That's how I get a lot of the pots I need for my yearly plant sale.

• sharont
    16 years ago

You might have to take a drive and scout out the nurseries outside of the city. There are probably lots of discards (pots) alongside of their utility buildings!
    Landscaping companies are still planting here and there.
    What about garbage pick up day cruising.....LOL

• ianna
    16 years ago

I found mine behind the grocery store 'Loblaws' and it was around this time of the year too. This should still be avail. near any large box stores.

• Crafty Gardener
    16 years ago

Do you have a Freecycle group in your area? You can get all sorts of things there.

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been asking around at the nurseries all summer and none of them ever seem to have the big pots. They've all got plenty of 10" and a few 12" nursery pots, but never the bigger 14" ones. They do have a few big ones for sale at $15+ a pop, but they're the more ornamental ones, not the cheaper nursery ones I'm looking for. I might have to break down and buy some though...

I put a wanted post on Freecycle every month or so asking for them, and I get tons of people offering me all sizes of pots, but not the big ones I want. I have plenty of 10" and under pots - I don't need any more.

It's so frustrating - last week I was visiting my parents in Florida and there were landscaping companies *everywhere* and they all had stacks of exactly what I wanted, just waiting to go in the trash. Too big to bring home though :-(

BP

• ottawan_z5a
    16 years ago

Hi
    Can anyone tell me what will be the size in gallons for a nursery type black plastic pot that is 14" diameter at the top (with normal nursery pot taper) and 14" high? I feel it is bigger than 5 gallons but don't know how much it is.

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A 14" tall cylinder with a diameter of 14" would have a capacity of just under 10 gallons (9.3 or so). Since most pots taper a bit, the capacity would be a bit less, but not that much less. I would guess 8 gallons as an average (that would be pretty well full). If you really want to know exactly how much the specific pot holds, place a garbage bag inside and dump measured amounts of water in. There are about 4 litres to a gallon (there are 16 cups to a gallon).

BP

• ottawan_z5a
    16 years ago

Thanks BP. The info you provided is enough. NO need for exact measurements (or we shall do that later on a sunny summer day).

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

Hi Bonnie. Just wanted to let you know that I went to a yard sale a few years ago and bought a few there. I think I paid a dollar each. Marg

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Hi Bonnie, try any Hydroponic Store, I'm sure they will carry just what you are looking for. Just ask to have your purchase put in a plain paper bag :o), a little humor here. This is where I bought a great little JetGro cloning machine which I use for rooting Fuchsia, Michaelmas Daisy and many other types of cuttings, even some that are very hard to root otherwise.

A......

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

aftermidnight - I think you just solved my problem! I went looking and found a couple of hydroponic places online that have them for $3-4 each. I also have a hydroponic store a couple of blocks from me so I'll go check them out too.

I've been in the local store several times already - they sell coir bricks and reasonably priced bark and perlite (and some cool plants!). I'm fully expecting the cops to come knocking at my door some day - between having fluorescent plant lights all over the place and patronizing a hydroponic store, I must be on their list :-)

BP

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz