Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zebra1157

tulip bulbs

zebra1157
16 years ago

Hi

I have a slight problem lol, I didn't have time to get all my bulbs in this fall, I have no room in the fridge for them. Would it be ok if I stored them in my basement. We have an area that is not heated down there.And how do I store them in peat or something???

Thank You

Debbie

Comments (5)

• ianna
    16 years ago

Hi below is something I took from internet sites: Perhaps it's not that late yet to put the bulbs in the ground. If that's not an option, then I hope your cold storage area keeps the 40F temps in order to force dormancy. A last option that I just thought of is to plant the bulbs in pots and you can still buy loose soil around this time. You may just get containered tulips in spring.

"The first is that you forgot to plant them last fall. If this is the case, then ask question #1 - is the ground frozen solid? If so, then you're going to kiss your bulbs goodbye as they dry out. If the ground isn't frozen or is only slightly frozen, then you can plant them. Break through the small frost layer, put the bulbs at the bottom of the hole and water heavily and thoroughly. The water will stop the ground from freezing for just a while longer and the odds are your bulbs will be fine.

Or #2, you can try the technique below.

If you live in the South and you need to give your bulbs a dormancy period. You need to give them 14-16 weeks (16 is better) of 40F temperatures to get them to set a flower bud. You can do this by storing them in the crisper of the refrigerator (no, don't freeze them) for this time and then planting them. "

• zebra1157
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank You ianna
    I will see if I can dig through the snow and topsoil, as you suggested. And hope for the best!!!
    I wonder if I cannot get through the soil, if I put them in pots and leave them in the garage, if they would freeze?
    Debbie

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

That is another option if you have bulbs that you can't get in the ground. Plant them in small pots and put them in the fridge where they won't actually freeze, for about six weeks and then take out. They should take off and bloom a few weeks after taking them out.
    Lois

• seacat
    16 years ago

Tulips planted in containers usually need to be put in a garage or in a cold basement. This is the standard advice.

Water them well and check them once a month to make sure they have enough moisture.

Tulip bulbs freeze in the ground anyway. The thing to protect against is the constant freeze-thaw cycle, which can turn the bulbs into mush.

Seacat

• ianna
    16 years ago

I'm rather late in responding - a place in the garage would be ideal. Cold storage is okay but do keep the recommended temps to keep the bulbs dormant. I was also thinking that it's fine to set the pots on a cold porch w/ some wind protection. A heavy layer of snow will actually give a good insulation against freeze and thaws, and so if you are desperate and don't have much room, you can try to locate your pots in a protected area (like between houses), surround it with snow and it's also fine.

Ianna

Sponsored