Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

2009 Spring catalog & also request for opinion

ianna
15 years ago

I just received a spring catalog and was surprised. I don't recall catalogs being sent out this early. have others received theirs?

Nevertheless, it got me whipped up into thinking what I'd like to get for next season. I'm salivating already. Anyone else?

I note now that there are seed starting kits equipped with heating mats. I'd like to get one of these but are they worth it? It's listed for $49.99. Also there are ultrasonic repellers supposed to repel dogs , cats , racoons, skunks, rats, etc. - are these effective? I have a problem with a racoon that visits my yard and dumps it's mess on my sheds' roof as well as my neighbor's shed's roof.

Ianna

Comments (19)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Hi Ianna. I got the Thompson and Morgan catalogue about a month ago. I don't usually order from them but go to a nursery and buy them there. McKenzie seeds is a distributor for T&M. I usually order from Veseys and Dams. Their catalogues come in late Jan/early Feb. My shopping list is already started. Marg

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

I ordered a Peony tree from Vesey's and in the box came a catalogue labeled 'Spring 2009 Advance Sale'. I was drooling over the Scabiosa 'Beaujolais' until I discovered that the deers have taken a liking to my Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue' which they've never touched before... Actually it's a fawn which has taken a liking to the two plantings I have on the property.

So I have moved on to the Echinacea 'Virgin'. I have a white in the gardens which I like but the three plants are not as vigorous as I'd like. They've been there for four years and finally showed some good stuff this year, but I may just go for the 'Virgin'. It's described as... "Finally, a white-flowered coneflower with a vigorous habit and sturdy flowers!" Now that's my cup of tea!! :O)

• ianna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also have Vesey's advance sale catalog. Lots of things I want from them too. Since I'm a follower of New Wave Gardening, I noticed that there are more 'wildflowers' listed - and so I'm salivating over the Astrantia, the Joe Pye Weed, and I'm looking forward to their regular spring catalog so I can order my ornamental grasses.

with regards to my Stokes Spring Catalog, I noticed that there's a price adjustment owing to our dollar fluctuating down and up. Nevertheless, lots of seeds I want to get.

Ianna

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Ianna,

I have to agree that the Eupatorium Baby Joe caught my eye as well!! I have a Joe Pye which grew to 9+ feet this year and am in awe of this plant. Just gathered seeds from it the other day. If you want some just let me know. I started this one from seed 4 years ago and love it. To have Baby Joe would be nice too. :O)

A pink Astrantia was given to me last year so I'm looking forward to it's performance next year.

I also bought some tall Miscanthus which grew well this year but I think I have to move them to a soil area which retains more moisture. I always thought grasses prefered dry lean soil but I think I'm wrong on that one. Is that your experience? This is my first grass purchase but I've discovered a nursery 2 hours from me that has quite the collection and I intend on purchasing more.

• ianna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Tiffy,

How did you manage to grow your joe pye from seed? I bought seeds last year and tried to grow them unsuccessfully. I still more seeds but any tips would be helpful. Can I start them by wintersowing too.

I grew a 6 ft plus Eupatorium in my old garden and just truly loved it. It was also popular with the wildlife. I had tree swallows visiting to eat the seeds and to use the fluff for their nests. I got it as a young plant from Loblaws - one of those really cheap ones. However I have had difficulties finding another plant since. I did get a dwarf form from Sheridans last year which was rather pricy. However I do miss my tall plant and want to try again to grow one from seed.

I have a group of pink Astrantia and just adore them. So much so I plan to get a ruby form this year. I also have 2 miscanthus which will grow to 5 ft. The first one I put in, didn't grow very well because I had purchased the plant in spring and from a warm greenhouse. I should have aclimatized it before setting it in the ground - so it has managed to grow but rather poorly this year. I'm confident it will recover by next year. I got another miscanthus (thinking that the earlier one died) and note that it had grown considerably since setting it in the ground. It's so beautifully architectural. Both plants are set in the ground which receives good moisture. Heavy with both clay and good compost. I've since gotten more shorter ornamental grasses to contrast the taller ones. In between, I am planting my astrantias, sages, sedums, etc.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Ianna,

Here's a photo of the JPW just this year. The lower blossoms were a result of a June tropical storm which brought down the outer stems and as the season passed, they started aiming 'up'. It was slow to start but has surely made up.

{{gwi:544038}}

As you can see, the flowers could be seen from our livingroom. In September we had another Tropical storm pass through and once when we looked out the window to the swaying blooms we noticed about 14 little birds on the plant. Upon closer inpection we realized it was covered in Warblers. This is the best photo of the bunch we took. You can see one of them. :O)

{{gwi:319200}}

I winter sowed this plant but it took three years before I got germination from any seed. Every year I would trade for seeds and try again. Now I winter sow seeds from this one and this past year planted another 6 in the gardens and gave away another bunch. They germinate a bit later than everything else here - early to mid-June - so I just leave the containers in dappled shade until they do.

Sounds like the decision to move my Miscanthus is a good one. Thanks for the heads-up. :O)

• ianna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It always gives me thrills to find birds among our plants. Thank you for showing me these photos. It's inspiring and I'm going to get cracking with my Joe Pye Weed. I had purchased my seeds last year from Acorus. Thanks for the tips on growing them. I do have to patient about these plants.

Ianna

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

How did you send the pic? Pic make everything so much clearer
    I would appreciate learning how to send a pic tiffy. Thanks

ladybug6a

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

I'm trying to hide my neighbour's new shed. Joe seems to be helping!
    {{gwi:544040}}
    Ladybug..you need to upload your pictures to something like photobucket. You can copy the url, (2nd box up from the bottom once you upload), then just paste that info into your message. There's a big how-to over on the U.S. wintersown page, thanks to Donn. I think if you search "upload" or "how to post", you should find step by step instructions. Hope this helps.

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

"For those using Photobucket:
    Under each thumbnail you'll see 3 sets of posting commands. You want the middle one, labeled HTML Tag.

Simply select it, and it will copy automatically. Then paste it into the post. The language is a long version of the ImgSrc syntax I posted above.

Check the results in Preview, and if all is well, Submit the post."

Found this link in wintersown..I think the original how-to's are gone, but I hope this helps, ladyb.

Wendy

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Wow Wendy! What an assortment of plants you've got there. Inula, Joe, Butterfly Weed and Butterfly Bush!! You've got to have precious visitors flying about that area. :O)

Ianna,

Just remember that if you need seeds of JPW, you know who to e-mail. Actually, now you know two people, eh? :O)

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

I have used the heating pads and think they are just great. Seeds sprout faster and then the plants little feet are kept nice and warm with out keeping the whole room hot.

• 11otis
    15 years ago

ianna, if you haven't bought your heat pad yet but planning to, McFayden has it for $26,95 I just received their catalogue with today's mail. If you buy the set incl. tray, dome etc it's $39.95. I bought my tray yesterday at a local store for $29.00. Oh well.
    Otis.

• canuckistani
    15 years ago

Does anyone have the promo code for the 2009 catalogue yet?? I'm ready to place my order online but don't have the catalogue yet...

• angelao
    15 years ago

McFayden does not have a promo code - $26.95 is the everyday price of the heat mat and if you order $75 of merchandise by Feb. 15th, you receive a 20% discount.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Ianna,

I gave in on New Year's day and ordered the Eupatorium 'Baby Joe', Echinacea 'Virgin', and Double Coneflower 'Pink Double Delight' from Vesey's. Did you get anything yet?

• ianna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Tiffy,

I haven't yet made decisions although that $25 dollar freebee is very tempting. I'm likely to get Eupatorium but as to what else, I'm not sure. I've just received a catalogue from Lindenberg (Manitoba) and they are offering root plants for reasonable prices and the varieties are what I'm seeking - so I'm still making my options. I know the deadline for Vessey's is this week and so I'm going to have to make that choice quick.

Ianna

• ianna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tiffy, I finally sent in my order before deadline. I ordered Eupatorium, Astrantia and a few other plants.

Ianna

• ontnative
    15 years ago

I used to give in to spectacular (and often faked) photos in seed and plant catalogues and order stuff in mid-winter. Now I am older and wiser, and wait until spring to buy plants "in the flesh" from our local nurseries or plant sales. Generally one gets a much better plant at a cheaper price by being patient and waiting until the snow melts. If I still grew seeds, I would order them from the catalogues.