Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taylan_gw

Know-how and know-whom help

taylan
16 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm a MBA student in University of British Columbia. For a school project, my group is working on a business plan for a company that would specialize in the retail of sustainable balcony gardening supplies, such as the containers, tools, micro-irrigation, plants, seeds and all that.

And now I realize I do not know enough on the subject area, so I thought I could seek some advice here. Things I would like to know:

-Who are the major suppliers of plants and flowers in BC area?

-Who are the major producers of gardening supplies in BC area?

-What seasonal changes are to watch for in gardening business?

-What sort of facilities would be required to grow and store the plants?

-What sort of human resources would be needed to operate such facilities?

I would be very grateful if someone could help with enlightening my clueless self on the matter. My e-mail is . Feel free to send me an e-mail there if you would like to help.

Thanks in advance,

Taylan

Comments (3)

• lucy
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, your project won't teach you much unless you really do the leg work yourself (though we can give you tips), plus some of your Q's require pretty extensive answers. You can research the first one by asking around, but very often the answers are closely guarded 'secrets' by selllers and you might run into a little resistance, plus often the answer is "in the U.S.", ditto for the second answer. Seasonal changes... that's something to discuss with nursery people. Facilities - greenhouses, acres of land, etc. DEPENDing on what you're growing, of course. People required are business-oriented types to actually run the practical aspects (as with any business), plus graduate horticulturists, plus students (great and fought-over summer jobs), plus some who are strong and fit - a lot of the work is heavy!

• ianna
    16 years ago

I'm sure Taylan is doing his legwork. Perhaps Taylan, you can begin by searching the internet. For example contact members of the BC Landscape and Nursery Assoc. http://www.bclna.com/bclna_membership_join.htm - you can get a list of nurseries operating in the area.

You could also go to your University's library to conduct research. All businesses must be registered somewhere, you'd need to locate that information. Under horticulture, landscaper, nurseries, etc..

You can approach your horticultural department to chat with a faculty member. FAculty members often are in close touch with industry and you will find them to be a good source of information.

I would also suggest having a better understanding of container gardening. Small scale to large scale. Most products used in balconies and elsehwere are labeled and branded. Look for those brands and start contacting their manufacturers/suppliers. If there are garden shows or any garden clubs active in BC, interview the members for tips.

Who are the major suppliers of plants and flowers in BC area?

Tip -- start w/ the yellow pages/ start w/ checking your local stores especially nurseries. Check the labels of plants. Often plant labels bear the names of the suppliers.

-Who are the major producers of gardening supplies in BC area?

again, start w/ the nurseries and check the brand names of the tools on sale. And you can do internet searches on these things.

-What seasonal changes are to watch for in gardening business?

Well, to start with lets look into fall season -- you see tulips bulbs and other bulbs being imported from HOlland. These get into the ground in the fall for spring flowers.

then during the holidays when you spot poinsettias and amaryllis, paperwhites, lilies being sold off. - meaning some nurseries would have started these plants some months prior. Trees being sold for christmas trees, - meaning check out the tree farms nearby for their cycles of growth & harvest.

Then in Spring, just around easter, when you'd be spotting tulip flowering early sold off in pots -- meaning some nurseries would have forced early flowering for these bulbs.

Then comes all the perennial and annual plants for planting. People have from Late spring to early sept. to beging planting.

And not just planting -- ou have the fertilizer suppliers, the suppliers of compost, soil. Then the people who sell gardenign services. Then the garden ornaments. etc...
    So from late spring through summer gardening is really hot.

-What sort of facilities would be required to grow and store the plants?

A very complex question - each plant takes different care. Best discuss with nurseries - there are many nurseries that will actually do some sort of tour of their processes. Do check the yellow pages.

-What sort of human resources would be needed to operate such facilities?

Check nursery operations first.

So that should give you enough tips to start your project. Good luck. I'm frankly surprised you hadn't mentioned approaching any horticultural department. Doesn't UBC have one or the equivalent?

• jimmyjojo
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure Taylan is a girls name.

I think "Roof Top Gardens" would make a better business model, and sell the kits and garden maintenance services to office building owners.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals