Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danesnpits

Where to buy Pumice

danesnpits
10 years ago

I am in Saskatchewan and just purchased this plant. It's a
Pseudolithos migiurtinus seedling. I am hoping to find pumice for my cactus/succulent mix but so far no luck. Or if anyone else has a mixture suitable for this plant with ingredients I can find easily I would love to hear!

Comments (11)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

So I can better help, what are you using the pumice to achieve? You using it to retain water or improve aeration or something else?

SCG

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it's to retain water better as far as my research has told me. Mind you there isn't much on the world wide web regarding this ugly but cute lil thing!

10 years ago

To replace pumice for water retention you could use Turface or NAPA floor dry. You might want to jump onto the container gardening forum and look up Al's Gritty Mix.

Interesting looking plant, that is for sure!

SCG

• ianna
    10 years ago

use cat litter

10 years ago

While some cat litter products will work most will not. You will have to be very careful if you decide to try them. The composition of cat litter is very broad.

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! Well my little seedling arrived in the mail today from the states, and I had no choice at the moment but to plant in 5 parts perlite, 4 parts cactus soil, and 1 part sand. It's all I could find! I won't water this little dude for a couple of weeks. He does have some strong roots but will keep an eye on him. I do know about Al's gritty mix and in fact found a dealer here in Saskatoon for Turface. The grit though, grani grit, or cherry grit or whatever it's called is the hard part. Fir bark is easy to find at the petstore for reptiles, and then of course having to sift it is a chore. I eventually want to replace all my plants with Al's gritty mix but for now it's not feasable. I hope putting in a bit of sand is going to help, with the perlite. My other succulents and cactus are in a 50/50 mix of cactus soil and perlite.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

danesnpits

I buy chicken grit at farm supply store. Get the #2 size (#1 is very fine, for chicks) which is great for succulents. I sift it once I get down abt. halfway, there is always some dust/very fine grit at the bottom. I also rinse it.

From what I read, sand is not recommended (unless you have very course sand).

Check out hydroponic stores, you may be able to get pumice.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 19:01

10 years ago

danesnpits

I am sure you just overlooked the grit. In your part of the country there should be a million feed stores. Even here, where people generally only have chickens at a hobby level it is easy to obtain. I would also follow rina_'s suggestion and rinse it thoroughly.

I also suggest buying the fir bark at a landscape supply store or I have seen it available in bags at Home Depot or the like. You are going to pay a fortune for it at pet stores. A 10L bag is about $5 here at the nursery.

Size is very important to the gritty mixture. So if it doesn't fall within the acceptable range you will have to screen. If found out how much shipping was from here (by Cranbrook BC) to you I could send you a big bag for the cost of shipping. I buy it by the truck load :)

SCG

• ianna
    10 years ago

A suggestion perhaps is for you to get in touch with various cacti & succulent clubs.. Here's one for Toronto but you will find there are a few in Vancouver as well. might want to ask the experts for directions on where they would source out their supplies.. http://torontocactus.tripod.com/

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much ya'll! So far I have been able to purchase Axis, which is like turface they said. The granite grit I got #2 size, the fir bark, and also some gypsum. The pumice still having a hard time finding. I will keep searching. You guys are so great! I should have enough stuff now to make Al's gritty mixture.

10 years ago

Well if you have turface, grit and bark you don't need pumice....Bonus!!

Good luck.

SCG

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz