Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sambucus racemosa sutherland gold

Posted by ron1_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 07 at 18:19

I planted this last fall and this fall I wonder if I should prune it right down to soil level. Pros and cons? I would like to keep it somewhat in its intermediate zone of growth...not too woody and knobby.... any thots? Thanks,Ron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sambucus racemosa sutherland gold

It's an elderberry which does well up from zone 3- 8. Not much information on pruning practises, but I note it is described as a decidous plant. So perhaps to be on the safe side, just mulch it and observe it next spring to see where it starts to bud up from . Perhaps it will bud up from old wood or perhaps from the root core. In practise, I prefer not to prune any plants severely in the fall time because the branches and twigs act to catch the snow which in turn creates a form of insulation. I do my heavy pruning in early spring and only after I start seeing signs of growth.

o

I have a sutherland gold elder. As ianna has said, they are very hardy as well as very forgiving about being pruned.
If you want a low bushy shrub, then cut it low to the ground making sure that you leave a small framework of older branches for the new sprouts to appear on.
If you want a larger shrub, then only prune it down by half.
You can also prune it during the growing season to increase its branching and appearance.
I agree with ianna that pruning in the spring is best, so you can see what has been winter damaged and what is actively going to grow.

Ian

o

do deer like this sambucus?

o

I don't think so. Every shrub I've planted at one time or another has been chewed to bits by deer but never sambucus and I have quite a few. Loads of wild ones and several varietys from nurseries.

o

I've had one of these for a few years. The first year I planted it was fine, the second year it got WAY big and methought..uh oh...it's too big for this space..

So I whacked it back pretty hard - took about 2/3 of it off and it's been very well behaved ever since..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here