Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Pampas Grass

Posted by mora 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 19:43

I started some from seed and have a fairly big patch which has so far ignored any frosts, the catalogues say good to zone 7, am I crazy to expect it to survive the winter?M

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Pampas Grass

Yup. you're marginal at best.

o
RE: Pink Pampas Grass !

• Posted by mora 6b (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 24, 05 at 17:49

Hey Don, nice to hear from you again.....I had major canna disaster...am giving up on them...solstice dancing didn't do anything other than catch me a cold! M

o

Mora .. I grew it a few years ago and planted them close to the foundation of my home. Some of it did come back up but I mulched it heavely .. this year nothing .. then again I even lost my hardy ornamental grasses. Im not sure if growing it in large bell pots and then over wintering in a garage might work .. but grasses dont normally like to be disturbed in the fall. But it might be worth a try .. even if you take a few plugs from your existing plant they might continue on indoors.

Laura

o

Mora,
I'm trying the white pampass grass - apparently it's hardier.

Let's see how we do and compare notes in the spring.

o
RE: Pink Pampas Grass1

Fri, Nov 25, 05 at 19:50

Well I have seen the white return here on the south shore year after year, so yours should be safe Tiffy, Laura I have this patch in my most protected area,by the house and south facing ,well we will see! M

o
Wanted: pINK pAMPAS

Does anyone have extra pampas grass to spare me? I have sove some custard apples and soursops for trade .They were imported from belize

o

Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 22:17

Dainagail, Hi there all the way from LA! Unfortunatly Canadians cannot send seeds accross the border, try posting on the winter sowing seed exchange,good luck! M

o

hello....I planted pink pampas grass last spring. it came back and it is doing well right now. does anyone know if it self seeds? I swear I see some clumps of it elsewhere in my yard...

o

Most perennial grasses would reseed so you probably do have babies all over the place.

o

ianna.....thank you! can I dig them up and pot them? will they grow? I potted two up yesterday. don't want to try anymore unless you can tell me they transplant well...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here