Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redwolfdoc_z5

Winter hibernation?

redwolfdoc_z5
10 years ago

Hello All!

Well, here in zone 5 Ontario things are winding down... Spring bulbs are all in, brown foliage mostly cleaned up from the herbaceous perennials, those that require winter protection are nicely mounded up... What now?

Because I'm on the detail-oriented (aka obsessive) side I'm spending some time compiling a database of botanical and practical information on all my garden plants, and updating my garden maps to reflect this year's changes, but those tasks will hardly take me through to May!

So I was just wondering... what gardening do you do during the winter?

Cheers!
Karen

Comments (71)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Karen

found some - almost sure it's variegated...will send you pm. Rina

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rina - yay! Thank you! :)

SCG - Are you familiar with the website Help Me Find? Great site for info on roses, also has a lot of stuff on clematis and peony. http://www.helpmefind.com

The iceberg shrub rose is mine. I cut it back to 6" this fall and mounded it up for the winter - it hasn't been very vigorous or black spot resistant for the last three years, though it's supposed to be both. I was thinking to try it for one more season, but I'd be willing to trade it if you think you'll have better luck - no idea how to get it to you though! Any thoughts?

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Redwolfdoc,

Re: helpmefind.com = addiction :) Thanks though!

On the rose it would be easy. It could be bare rooted or budwood canes cut off and shipped. We can cross that bridge when we get to it. You could pick from the many I will have, if you wish.

Anyone have suggestions for what works as deer resistant perennials that work for mass planting? I been thinking of echinacae, foxglove and zinnia (annual)

BTW if anyone wants Papaver Somnifernum seeds I have a whole pile.

SCG

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

SCG

Is that the 'real one' - I mean poppy that has edible poppy seeds? I would love some...reminds me of my grandmas gardens, they grew all their food including poppy seeds (love the poppy seeds cakes-rolls...)
    I could send you some flower seeds that I have-if there is anything you would like:
    small yellow foxglove (digitalis lutea)
    stevia
    blackberry lilly (orange)
    jewels of Opar
    cerinthe Kiwi blue
    dianthus - mixed colors, maybe I have some carmine red separately but have to check
    Japanese fan columbine Nana alba
    sunflower Mamoth Russian
    sweet pea (lavender, spencer giant mixed)
    morning glory Flying saucers, Kniola's Black knight
    moonflover
    Most of them collected from my garden.
    I could collect some berries from beautyberry bush, I am almost sure some will sprout in spring (photo is of flowering beautyberry, green berries turn to long-lasting purple berries)
    Rina

Rina

10 years ago

Yes Rina it is the edible (as far as I know, no warranty LOL) variety. email me at filimek AT me DOT com with your address.

{{gwi:544841}}

You are welcome to send seeds if you want. The only thing I am not interested in is Sunflower, Morning glory, stevia and Dianthus (unless perennial).

Man snow has melted might be able to get outside and build some beds for spring...YAY!

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 13:19

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG - I also have a Carefree Beauty shrub rose I'd be good to trade if you're interested. What roses will you have?

I know - Help Me Find is a total black hole for time! Sorry to contribute to your addiction! Well, not really! :)

I just ordered six roses from Palatine. As I'm close by I'll be able to pick them up myself and visit the nursery come April. Should be lots of fun - that's wine country too!

10 years ago

Red, must be nice living so close....I would be absolutely broke if I lived there.

Since you asked............

Rugosa - Rosaraie de l'Hay, Rugelda, Blanc Double de Coubert, Dr. Eckener
    Hybrid musk - Penelope, Skyrocket, Felicia, Cornelia
    Hybrid Moyessi - Nevada
    Gallica - Tuscany Superb, Duchesse de Montebello
    Hybrid Setigera - Erinnerung an Brod
    Damask Portland - Rose de Rescht, Comte de Chambord
    Hybrid Spinosissima - Stanwell Perpetual
    Bourbon - Boule de Neige, Louis Odier, Reine Victoria, Mme. Isaac Pereire
    Hybrid Foetida - Harrison's Yellow
    Alba - Maiden's Blush, Belle Amour, Mme Legra's de St. Germain
    Hybrid Perpetual - Reine des Violettes, General jack
    Floribunda - Gruss an Aachen, Easy Does it, Hot Cocoa, Tournament of Roses, Iceberg, Marina
    Grandiflora - Dream Come True, Double Delight
    Hybrid Tea - Sunny Daze, Belami, Folklore, Oklahoma
    Shrub - Morden Sunrise, Morden Ruby, Morden Blush, Double knockout. Emily Carr, Bill Reid
    Climbers - Captain Samuel Holland, John Davis
    Hybrid Multiflora - Ghislaine de Feligonde
    Noisette Climber- Mme Alfred Carriere

I haven't gotten a confirmation order from Pickering yet but have gotten one from the roses I am getting from Palatine. Nor do I know if the ones ordered from the local nursery are all going to come but expect all but one or two. I have about 14 of the roses in the list.

Carefree beauty is a nice buck rose...we surely can work a trade in someplace. Now what are you getting?

Isn't shopping and ordering fun?

SCG

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rina, do you ever use fallen leaves with tar spot on them as winter mulch? I know the advice is not to use affected leaves, but those are few and far between in my neighbourhood! My yard is ankle deep from my neighbour's maple and all the leaves are spotted. Seems a waste not to use them!

SCG - That's a great list! More in a bit...

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG - you've got some beautiful roses in that list! My oh my! We overlap on Hot Cocoa, but that's the only one.

Shopping surely is a lot of fun. Even if I'm mostly window shopping. Wish I had more space! My daughter is running a campaign against roses due to the thorns, but she's not going to win - I love them too much! :)

I ordered:
    Grandiflora - Twilight Zone, About Face
    Hybrid multiflora - Bleu Magenta
    Floribunda - Brothers Grimm, Koko Loko, Hot Cocoa
    Hybrid Tea - Nantucket
    Shrub - Bull's Eye

I currently have Julia Child, Carefree Beauty, Wild Blue Yonder, Blue Angel, Iceberg and Bolero.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG - I'm definitely game to try a cutting exchange (or even bare root) but I've never done it before so I'll need instructions! Would we be best to wait for March or April? If you like feel free to send me a pm.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I use all the fallen leaves, first chop them up with lawnmower, then I fill large plastic bags approx. 1/3 full of chopped leaves, I add some soil/compost/manure(whatever available, shovel full or so), add another 1/3rd and so-on. I also mix it with some plant refuse, like hosta leaves (I don't chop these). Then poke few holes for ventilation, and leave bags sitting over winter. 'Modified' composting...since I don't have enough space for a proper compost heap, bags could be stored even in the shed or garage. I p/u fallen leaves from couple of elderly neighbours too, they have also some different trees - run lawnmower over them - and they get last grass cutting free! The grass clippings help a lot too (I know they don't use any sprays on their lawn).
    It does heat up in the bag, and I leave it there until next fall. I have been doing this for many years now (at least 10). And you should see the fat worms in there...
    I don't have any black/tar spot on other plants, and so far it doesn't seem to get worse on 1 maple in my yard.

I red a lot about how to get rid of black/tar spot, looks like there isn't much one can do. Fungicide could help some, together with getting rid of all leaves diligently, all the time - apparently in few years it would help. But, you get infection from all other maples in neighbourhood. Luckily, it doesn't kill the tree, just looks 'ugly'.

Maybe others have better suggestions?

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 0:02

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rina! I'll go ahead and use them.

10 years ago

Red, you have some great roses as well and some I am going to take a hard look at. Bleu Magenta is one I have been eying up closely. I still might get it.

I haven't done cuttings either so will be my first year, too. I am also going to try chip and T grafting to make a couple tree roses. From what I gather the best time to take cuttings is when the plants are dormant before they start pushing new growth or just as they do. I am also going to try starting some Morden cuttings to use as a root plant that I can graft to. Will be a fun year!.

That is a good idea composting in the bags. I do pretty much the same thing with my ponderosa pine needles. Problem with them is they need a strong wind to come down. Which sometimes doesn't happen till after a snow fall. Like your leaves the brown/green ratio is good enough to produce lots of heat.

Back to job hunting lol.

SCG

10 years ago

Rina_ don't forget to PM or email me your address so I can send you some seeds. email is filimek AT me DoT com

Red, I forgot to mention it looks like you and I like a lot of the same colours. Since you like orange you should look at 'Easy Does It" supposed to be a showstopper.

Bleu Magenta is still catching my attention. I have a lot of fence and buildings I would like to cover and that rambler would fit it ever so nice. Dang you enabler!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG, you are certainly going to be busy! Sounds awesome. I've been skulking around the propogation forum myself - I'd like to start out trying to root cuttings. Looks like fun!

The tipper for me on Bleu Magenta is its shade tolerance. That and the suggestion that it could be trained up the trunk of a tree! I've got a part-sun bed with a little tree in the middle... I'm thinking of pairing it with the Brothers Grimm in the same bed.

And speaking of enablers - I just added Easy Does It to my spring order! :)

I love the oranges and purples, and the more unusual buff or chocolatey colours as well (Koko Loko, Hot Cocoa). Ever looked at one called Stainless Steel? Amazing looking in pictures! I also tend to be drawn to roses that have different uppers and reverse.

The ones on your list that pique my interest the most are Gruss an Aachen, Easy Does It (Thanks for that!), and Morden Blush...

By the way, isn't GardenWeb WAY more fun than job hunting? ;)

10 years ago

The shade tolerance is big for me too. Most of my property is partial shade as there are too many huge trees. I am removing some this year.

Easy Does It is supposed to be an eye catcher. BUT I just heard that it is a temperamental tender thing for our zones. I got it to make tree roses with but might reconsider that. Some say it is cane hardy and others lose it. I think I will see how it makes the first winter before doing anything with it.

Morden Blush is free for me so how can I say no? Just have to dig it up and move it.

Gruss an Aachen while being beautiful has some great history. I believe it is considered, by some, the first floribunda rose.

Quite a few of the roses listed are there because of the fascinating history behind them. While I love HT's bloom shape and all, the "backbone" of my garden I wanted to tell a story of its own. And because these antiques, sometimes often lol, grow a little larger they will be the roses I design my beds around. Then who can discount the fragrance of older roses!!!

Yeah work is over rated but I need to make some Xmas money and to pay for my roses.

Oh, I hear those ramblers love to climb!!! I am building a huge arch for my driveway that I hope to put a couple of Pauls Himalayan musk climbers on.

SCG

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm willing to take a chance on Easy Does It - my yard is a bit of a microclimate (lake effect + wind shelter from neighbours' trees) so I can stretch those zone ratings a bit. And I couldn't resist EDI - the colours alone make it worth a try!

Love that you're using roses with history. I've been doing some research on Gruss an Aachen and its provenance is wonderful! Morden Blush too. Great roses!

• ianna
    10 years ago

I love my outdoor garden with tons and tons of plants but during winter, I rely on my orchids plants. Also I have a terrarium which I have watered once last year. It's still going on strong today.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello ianna!

A terrarium - what a great idea! What do you have in it?

Orchids were actually my gateway plant - I was given a beautiful yellow oncidium as a graduation gift years ago. I never had a lot of luck, however; they seemed healthy enough but never, ever rebloomed for me. Is there a secret?

Karen (redwolfdoc)

10 years ago

Red,

I, too, have a micro climate here and that is the reason for EDI as well. Where it does well, it does it in spades and is a traffic stopper.

The provenance on many of them is so deep and interesting it is intoxicating. Add the beauty and scent and, IMHO, it is a no brainer.

My mom used to grow Orchids but my house is too small and dangerous (for a plant, lol) to attempt them.

Ohh, I told Palatine you were okay with me taking your Bleu Magenta since they are now sold out. Hope that is okay :-)

SCG

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG - No worries about Bleu Magenta, that's cool. I didn't want it that badly anyways. Now, if you'll just be a dear and forward that Gruss an Aachen when it arrives... :)

10 years ago

Lol. I wish they would get bleu to me. On Gruss I can send you cuttings for spring 2015 or fall 2014. No problem there.

I think Pickering still has Gruss an Aachen, If you can resist.

Work is so far over rated....

SCG

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd better figure out space for the roses I've already got on order (plus two peonies, lol) before ordering anything else!

Tell you what though - come fall 2014 let's trade cuttings! If you can't find Bleu sooner (and I hope you do) I'll send you some for sure.

Work is definitely an annoying distraction from garden-dreaming! I must admit though, I vacillate. Being home with kids can be great, but sometimes I miss working!

10 years ago

Red, I will make you a deal. If you send pics I will figure out space to plant your new roses including the labour if you reciprocate.

Yes, we need to swap cuttings. Actually it was good I couldn't get bleu, I got Jeanne de Montfort instead, especially since my other moss roses got backordered.

We got zapped with 3 -20C days in a row and there is too much frost to work :( blah....dang work!!!

SCG

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG,

Sorry for the delay - thought I'd actually responded already! Must have been distracted by my children between writing and pushing "submit" LOL.

Your deal is tempting for sure! I'd love a trip out west (got family in Seattle) and also to see your fabulous garden-in-the-making!

Have you ever played with a program called RealTime Landscaping Plus? Lots of fun, and the plant database is good, though you have to upload images of the more specific roses etc. It's not hard to do, happily. Fair warning though - bit of a time-sink! ;)

Jeanne de Montfort is lovely. Good choice!

And yes, we'll make a point to swap cuttings for sure. April? By the way, I've had this lavender climber that hasn't done much of anything for me except not die for three years now. I discovered recently that it isn't what the website I bought it from said it was (I didn't know better three years ago and ordered from one of the big general sites - can't remember which right now, maybe Henry Fields). In any case, I'm pretty certain it's Blue Girl hybrid tea climber. Hardy only to zone 7, which explains it's poor performance for me. If you think you have the microclimate, I'd be happy to trade with you. I put it up on the roses exchange forum too, but I suspect the necessity of getting a phytosanitary certificate to send to the US will inhibit that.

How's work? :)
    Red

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG,

I've been trying to find useful photos of my beds and the truth is I've changed them so much this year that all my photos are obsolete! Imagine: "Here's the front bed, only the centre euonymus and all the daylilies and one of the rhododendrons have been removed, and the boneset and asiatic lilies have been moved and the bed expanded at the corners, and more creeping phlox across the front and two bearded iris zones and two iceberg shrub roses and two sedum plants have been added..."

I've really got to draw up some new maps!

My tentative groupings are as follows: About Face with Julia Child and Hot Cocoa at one end of a long bed along a fence; Wild Blue Yonder with Nantucket, Koko Loko and Bolero at the other end of that same bed. Bleu Magenta close to Brothers Grimm in a partial shade bed in the centre of my yard.
    I'm not sure how to place Bull's Eye and Easy Does It.

How many different beds do you have on your property? Obviously it's a lot bigger than mine (oh and I never could get that link to photobucket to work - it kept sending me to my own account).

Red

10 years ago

Red,

While I'd love blue girl I don't think I can stretch a microclimate to zone 7, possibly 6ish only. Yet if you don't lose it or give it away maybe we can trade cuttings next year.

I have never played with that program but am going to look into it. Sounds like something I could really use. An impulse buyer I am!

LOL, I hear you about the photos of the gardens. The only one that hasn't changed is my part-shade garden as I am letting it mature a bit before I start moving things, oh how it makes me itch!

Don't worry about placement. Of the 40+ roses I have to plant next year I have only figured out where a few will go...rest will be instinctive (read impulsive)

I only have one developed bed that is 45' x 5' that is going to be for roses...the others I will make as I go. They are all going into my backyard which I just put in last summer. It is approximately 80' x 90' and I am hoping most of the new roses will form a border along the fence line of which I can build upon. I am fortunate to have about 5 acres that I can expand on, my pocket book just cringed...

Hope this link works My photo bucket library

Well work again is impeding both my ability to keep my eyes open and the focus to form cohesive sentences.....now self explained. Waiting for my girls to go to sleep doesn't help neither....

Have a great night.

SCG

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

SCG

Great photos, I especially like the one with hummer & a hummingbird moth together - I usually have hummers in the garden but never had chance to se the moth. Lots of other butterflies - no wonder, you have so many flowering plants.
    Thank you for sharing.

Rina

10 years ago

Thanks Rina_ for the compliments. That sphinx moth could have cared less about the hummer but the opposite wasn't true. The hummer tried its best to chase it from the territory. This year I am planting more host plants for sphinx moths in hopes of attracting more.

How many months till spring?

SCG

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello!

How goes the winter for you? Rina, I hope your move was successful and you didn't suffer unduly during the Christmas ice storm - we were without power for three days, but we survived. SCG, how goes the job hunt? Better yet, how goes the rose garden planning? :)

I'm already tired of waiting for spring, so I decided to try winter sowing... mostly thanks to you, Rina, as you gave me so many nice seeds!

{{gwi:540809}}

Red

10 years ago

Hey Red! Glad to see you survived and hope all is well.

I fortunately found a job that should last the winter, thanks for asking. The rosé planning, well, is no farther along. Planning for me usually involves buying a bunch of plants, haphazardly sticking them in the ground and hoping for the best. This is no exception, lol, Although I am starting to think I may have bitten a pretty big piece ordering that many OGRs at once. How many more roses are you getting?

I, too, am tired of winter. To combat the blues I fired up the grow lights and have a couple cucumber, tomatoe, pea and bean plants going with a bunch of lettuce.

Your winter sowing looks great! Something I haven't tried yet. If electricity keeps going up it might be something I have to resort to.

I am Also combatting the winter blues by putting a seed order for this years annuals. Starting them indoors is a great way to keep the mind occupied till spring really shows up.

Have great weekend all

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, SCG, I too may have gone overboard on roses! I've learned a heck of a lot so far this winter though! I'm excited to get going on it - but I hope the winter isn't too much longer because my plans keep getting more elaborate the longer I have to think about them! :)

I'm in for:
    Shrub: Bull's Eye, Distant Drums, Dragon's Blood, Incantation
    Floribunda: Brother's Grimm Fairy Tale, Easy Does It, Koko Loko, Lavender Pinocchio, Pam's Choice, Cinco de Mayo, Blueberry Hill
    Grandiflora: Twilight Zone
    Hybrid Tea: Nantucket, Butterscotch, Savoy Hotel
    Hybrid Multiflora: Bleu Magenta
    Moss: Nightmoss
    Polyantha: The Fairy, Margo Koster
    Hybrid Perpetual: Souvenir du Docteur Jamain
    Hybrid Wichurana: Mel's Heritage

As you can see, nearly all modern roses, particularly floribundas. They just suit my city yard. I've got a basic idea for layout for
    most of them - involves changing the shape of a couple beds lol - but I think they'll probably be in pots for most of this season. My wallet dictated bands as opposed to gallon roses!

You do have a big job ahead of you, but I for one am looking forward to the pictures! Your property is going to be gorgeous! How many trees do you plan on removing, btw? :)

Red

10 years ago

That is a good list you have there, quite a large addition since November lol. It is going to look fabulous. Really going to need some pics of your yard next year!

I am curious to where you found bands really cheap. Most places I looked where the same price if not more than Pickering or Palatine?

This year it looks like I will remove 9 and top a dozen or so, about all I can afford (hopefully) this year as they are all to close to buildings or power lines for me to do myself as I am not insured to fall anymore. Hoping that will be enough for my veggie garden and to give a little more sun to the roses.

Look forward to hearing and seeing more of your plans and yard.

SCG

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Looks great Karen, hope they will all sprout for you. Have to try some ws too, never did before.

I was lucky during the 'big freeze' here in TO, never lost the power. One block north they did, for more than 3days.

You & SCG sound like real experts on roses...All I would like to grow are some to collect rosehips from & make jam and dry some for tea...Rina

10 years ago

Lol, I am by far an expert. At best, I know how to order them. This year I will go from one rose in the ground to just over 50.

I should have some hips this year and a pile next that you will be welcome to. As well there is lots of native roses around I would be happy to gather hips from for you. Let me know. I can also gather native from last year as they are still hanging, if you would like.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Would plants grow from hips?...that shows you how much I know about roses of any kind!
    Rina

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL SCG, sorry to disappoint but the bands weren't particularly cheap - just slightly more affordable than gallon pots from the same place! I ordered from Palatine, Pickering, and Rogue Valley Roses in Oregon. RVR primarily because they were the only place for a few of the more unusual in my list - I seem to be drawn to odd colours in roses!

Rina, I hope they sprout too! I'm especially looking forward to the beauty berry, columbine and cerinthe you gave me - thank you! Winter sowing seems almost too good to be true, but all reports are good. We shall see! It's a lot of fun to make the "greenhouses," sow the seeds, and watch them get snowed on. I've got lots of hope! Most of my information I've read right here on GW.

I'm pretty sure I qualify as a complete rose newbie! I can safely say I know a lot more about them now than three months ago, BUT, it remains to be seen how I do in practice. I'll be going from 8 to about 30 this year. Crazy, but not as crazy as you, SCG! :)

I'm looking forward to photos of your yards in the spring! Rina, are you starting from ground zero in your new place (so to speak)?

10 years ago

Red, reason I asked is because Pickering and palatine ship roses that are FAR superior in size to bands. Bands are like seedlings in comparison to what you get from them. A band size pot is 3"x3"x6" deep. Thw bare roots you will get will easily fill a 7gal pot this year.

Only 74 days till my rosé shipment should arrive!! Hoot!! Hoot!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Yes Karen...absolutely nothing planted yet. Not one flower bed. It's going to be lots of work, but hopefully I'll live long enough to enjoy it??? But I am sure I'll enjoy working on it too.
    I don't want to get too much ahead of myself & start too many seedlings - I have so many potted perennials waiting to be planted somewhere.
    But it is very tempting to winter sow.
    There is always more pots to pot them up, right?

Rina

• justanotherider
    10 years ago

I'm just a veggie gardener, (ok, I grow gladiolus in the veggie patch too), so I suspect I do less winter research than flower people.

After cleaning, fertilizing and tilling my patch, I cut wood for next winter's fuel, feed wild birds and red wrigglers, and order seeds for spring. About now, I begin starting some peppers and some flowers for my bride and a friend and setting up for my major seedling planting which isn't far off. In a week or so, it will be time to tap spiles into maples, and start making syrup, (one of my favourite activities in life). By the time the sap stops running, it will be time to do spring maintenance on the tiller and tractor, and start getting dirty again!

• sherylgallant
    10 years ago

Out here in the Okanagan, the ground has thawed, drained and I am digging in the dirt! Finally! I winter sewed a LOT of jugs this year since I have so many gardens to plant that were started from scratch last year. Currently I am making a meditation garden with a large raised pond and stone pathway with benches. Lots of digging!

I just finished pruning about 2 dozen small peach trees before the ground thawed enough to garden. Still have all those little pruned sticks to pick up! The work never stops!

My irises are already growing new small green tips!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Still cold & snow on ground in Toronto...can you see tiny green sprouts??? hardly, they are so small but growing! Sunny today, and the snowdrops are poking thru in the warmer corner between house & deck.
    Forecast still calls for some colder weather. Hopefully, not too much longer.
    Rina

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rina,

It's good to see those sprouts, small though they may be! I haven't got any snowdrops or even crocus - think I'll have to rectify that for next year. A little bit of green sure would be welcome right about now!

I did take a walk around the yard today and found buds forming on the forsythia and the lilacs. As you say - small, but growing!

Karen

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Karen

I made point of planting snowdrops & they multiply every year, but not invasive at all. End of winter, I start looking for tiny green spikes....then I 'believe' the spring is near.

My yard is still 90% covered in snow. And I can tell there is going to be few wet spots where I never had any.
    But birds are singing their spring songs, so that's great.
    Otherwise, really no other signs of springs...

BTW, anything starting to grow in your winter-sown jugs? It's probably too early yet.

Rina

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Rider, hello Sheryl!

Rina, nothing in my ws jugs yet. I peered at them today for a good several minutes but could see only dirt. It's too early - I don't really expect anything for another six weeks maybe. I haven't even sown my annuals yet - will do so first week of April.

Yes, my yard is mostly ice and snow as well. Just starting to see cold, soggy ground around the edges. Like everyone else around here, I'm mighty tired of winter! But... bird song and temperatures that were actually above zero today helped a lot. My kids got their bikes out after school!

I'm jealous of you folks who can start digging! :)

Karen

• justanotherider
    10 years ago

Hung pails on 460 spyles today. Lotsa snow to wade through; but it'll start melting pretty well in about a week if the forecasts are right...

10 years ago

Hey ya all!!!

I, too, am totally over winter. Spring has come and gone so many times this year it is hard on us. One week it will be +12C then the following -18. I was excited all week that I would be able to rake my lawn this weekend but old man winter threw me a curve ball and froze everything solid, yet again....

I have sown some of the slower growing/flowering annuals, like viola, marigold, lobelia.... as well as some perennials in hopes of first year blooms. I am fighting the urge to sow the rest as it is a touch early but it is sooooo hard on days like this.

I actually amazed myself last weekend and drew up a planting plan for my bare root rose orders, it is so unlike me. I usually impulse buy then without thought or reason impulse plant.

Are any of you making any radical changes in gardens or annual choices?

SCG

• justanotherider
    10 years ago

Only big change for me is starting wave petunias for the bride. Haven't been able to find seed for a wave variety in the past; but stumbled on some in Canadian Tire the other day.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Yay, there is hope for spring...tiny white buds of snowdrops are peeking thru, but rest of the yard is still under snow. Hope today's sun will take care of some, it is S-facing yard!
    Can't see much more ready to grow yet.

Rina

10 years ago

justanotherider, wave petunia seeds are readily available from companies like Stokes seeds. Sometimes they are called other names, Super Petunia's comes to mind. They are quite pricey, however.

Rina, those look great! Next year I am going to most certainly have some galanthus and crocus in my yard.

Here is to spring. My two mutts enjoying some sunshine this morning.

{{gwi:544845}}

Have a great day all.

SCG

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County