Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
holly care

Posted by unicorn_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 28, 06 at 23:41

I live in PEI Canada, I have a male and female blue prince holly. I am not a real experienced gardener. I bought the hollies about 2 yrs ago,nerver pruned them,I am wondering when and how to do so. They are not very big yet. They also have spots on leaves is that a problem, I would really like to use sometime for Christmas decor. Any help to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: holly care

Hollies are moderate growers given ideal conditions - a sunny spot which is sheltered from winds (areas where the snow accumulates on your property are perfect) and has moist but well drained acidic soil. Male hollies will grow slower than females and some have a short life span.

Acidic soil should not be an issues in PEI, since our soil here on the east coast is generally acidic.

Not sure about the spots on your leaves. I've never met with that problem.

Pruning is best done in late summer, fall, or early winter. If you wait for spring, you might be cutting off the flower buds as they are forming.

Give your shrubs some nice organic mulch in the spring or late fall. I use a homemade compost, and after being planted in poor soil for three years, this year they started to react to the nice compost I've been placing at their feet. There was lots of nice lush new growth.

Now if the deers would just leave them alone...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here