Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Western Canada mail order fruit trees/nut trees etc?

Posted by dirtslinger2 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 27, 10 at 1:38

I'm having trouble finding any sources for hazelnut trees, and with that I'm interested in finding other nuts/fruit producing plants.

Many nuts and certain fruits can't be ordered from back east due to disease quarantine issues.

T&T in Manitoba has been ok, but their single hazelnut variety has tiny nuts- there are many better ones out there. And fruit trees there have been tiny and expensive for their size.

Do you know of anywhere good? I think the quarantine free area is east of Ontario.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Western Canada mail order fruit trees/nut trees etc?

Try McFayden located in Brandon, Manitoba (www.mcfayden.com). They have many new fruit varieties this year.

o

Thanks!
Their catalog is nearly identical to T&T, I'm betting they use the same suppliers. But pricings is different (lower and higher). I will likely buy from them.

Anyone with other ideas?

o

The ones that say they don't have what you want, did any give suggestions of other nurseries that might have them.
If not, try e-mailing some of the larger concerns about maybe they could suggest where to locate the particular specimen you desire.
I could suggest one here in Ontario; the owner has been on TV and radio and runs a smaller nursery in Uxbridge...she knows everything there is about what grows....if you wish,
e-mail her...HOAG Nursery, Uxbridge, Ontario.

o

I googled HOAG nursery and there were no results, might you have the spelling wrong? Would be interested in checking it out- thanks!

o

Majorie Mason Hogue is the individual I spoke of....and maybe there's been a disruption of family life.
I'll look into it and get back to you pronto!

o

dirtslinger, I did a search and I'm sorry to report that my suggestion has proved also fruitless.
I had met Ms Hoag at "Canada Blooms", a large garden show that's held in the Toronto area for many years and seen her on TV and heard on many radio gardening shows so that my suggestion to enquire at her nursery was genuine in my belief she was still in business.
Evidently, that's not the case any more.
Sad!

Still, I suggest you e-mail some of the larger nurseries in your area and ask them where or who might lead you to your plant.

o

I appreciate your update. Will continue searching.

o

Try this http://www.grimonut.com/

o

oops. looks like they won't mail hazels to the west coast too.

o

Yes I started there. Awesome mail order nursery! But there is a ban on east coast hazels shipped west.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here