Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Iron Maiden' Penstemon

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 8:57

Has anyone ever grown this? I bought the seeds last year from Veseys. It's not what came up. The one that came up has cherry red with tububular flowers with a white throat. I emailed them and they said it was the same penstemon barbatus but it looks more like the penstemon hartwegii that I saw in the William Dam catalogue. The reason I didn't think it was the barbatus, was that the description said it had glaucous foiage. Mine didn't. I was just wondering if anyone else had grown it and gotten something completely different? Veseys did end up giving me a credit. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Iron Maiden' Penstemon

Hi Marg, I grow it and yes you can't really tell by in the photo but the leaves do have a blue tinge to it. No white throats.

I got the seeds from Veseys and winter sowed Feb 18/07.

Sharon

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 14:51

Hi Sharon. Thanks for the reply. Now I know for sure that mine is not the penstemon barbatus, there is no blue in the foliage at all. The main reason I wanted that one was because I thought it would be a good hummingbird plant. Now I'll just have to wait and see if mine will survive the winter since Dams has theirs listed as an annual. I wanted to collect seeds last year (it flowered nonstop) but it was just to wet. Thanks again. Marg

o

Noticed Veseys says zone 4, hmmm, well I really wish these catalogues would include us zone 2 gardeners.

P. barbatus are very hardy here too.

Wonderful perennials for the hummers.

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here