Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poppy88

where to get seeds

poppy88
16 years ago

Hi,

Just a general question, where to do get your seeds in Canada. The holiday is here and soon after I will start W.S. I am would like to try some variety vegetables, flowers. This is my first w/s year. I am particularly intersted in oriental vegetables. I live in Ontario zone 5a and the only company I know is stokeseeds.com. Please share with me your favour seeds store.

Thanks.

Comments (17)

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I order my seeds from Veseys (veseys.com) but this year I was looking at the William Dam catalogue (damseeds.com) and thought I would order some from them. Dams is in Hamilton and Veseys is in PEI. T&T seeds is supposed to be good but I've never ordered from them. I also buy some seeds at the local Garden Gallery greenhouses. I've also bought some at Home Depot when I couldn't wait to get started! Marg

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

I also like Veseys and have always been pleased with their products. I've found that they've even improved in their bareroot plants in the last few years and this fall was very happy with the order I received from them.

Every year I also place an order with them for seeds, but I also check-out Gardens North. They have a lot of unique plant seeds. Here's a link - you might want to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens North

• fragrant
    16 years ago

I am in southwestern Ontario, and enjoy starting seeds to help pass the winter months. I have ordered from Veseys, Stokes, Dam Seeds over the years and have been happy with each one. I suggest OntarioSeedCompany - their website is www.osc.com as another company to consider. I also like to visit the local garden centres in January and February to look at the seed racks.

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

I like to order from Dominion Seed House, here in Ontario.

• jenf
    16 years ago

I like Vesey's(my grandmother went to school with Mr. Vesey), Stokes, Westcoast Seeds. Sometimes I find Canadian seed companies are limited or expensive for shipping. As much as I prefer to shop locally, if you don't mind ordering south of the border, J.L. Hudson has a great selection of seeds, good prices, really cheap shipping, and they're freindly to deal with.

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

I've used Stokes, Vesey's, William Dam, and Richter's before. They are all good suppliers for seeds (plants are a different matter). The only big company I would recommend you avoid is Thompson and Morgan - they have a nice catalogue, nice looking packages and a great selection, but they charge more and they have serious issues with quality control.

There are many other reputable Canadian companies that have a slightly more unusual selection of seeds, but almost any oriental veggie seed should be available from one of the companies already listed by the other posters.

BP

• sharont
    16 years ago

http://gardensnorth.com/site/index.htm

Also Seeds of Diversity with an annual fee. Heirloom and unusual seed is available from members at cost of postage.

Out of Canada: This site was listed on the Winter Sowing site (US). Seed is 35 cents a package. Located in Vermont with postage $3.50 to Canada.
    Artistic Gardens or http://www.artisticgardens.com

• ianna
    16 years ago

I was shocked to discover that Walmart already began to sell seeds. I've already started to stock up on my seed supplies.

Ianna
    In Ontario

• deborah_ns
    16 years ago

I have always purchased my vegetable seeds from Vesey's or Halifax Seed; but this year I am interested in starting perennials from seed, particularly for a woodland garden. Are there any restrictions on Canadians ordering seeds from American seed companies? Has anyone had problems with Canada customs?

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Deborah,

I have never ordered from US seed companies but have done trades with gardeners across the border. Not once have I had a problem.

• garcanad
    16 years ago

Over the years, I have ordered from Dominion, Gardens North, Stoke, Richter, Patrick Studio, Thompson & Morgan (US), Park Seed (US), Plant World Seed (UK). Jelitto (Germany), etc. I found the followings have good selections and quality:
    http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/
    https://www.jelitto.com/haupt_en.html
    (They may be expensive, but their selections are what addicts need.)

• ianna
    16 years ago

Patrick studio no longer entertains retail sales, which is too bad. They're concentrating on their wholesale business.

Poppy88

You will find oriental vegetable seeds in oriental grocery seeds. Have you gone to places in the downtown Chinatown?

Ianna

• flora2b
    16 years ago

Depending on what you want, check out Lindenberg Seeds, I have always had good luck with germination from them. They are not internet savy yet, but you can order their catalogue online. The catalogue is not fancy, no color pictures and such, so they pass the savings on to you. Usually packages are smaller, more in line with what a season of gardening would entail, and the prices are great!
    I have also ordered from Vesey's, William Dam, Dominion (found a little expensive), Parks seeds(US)......have had good luck with all.
    I second T&M being variable in quality.
    Have fun and happy seed hunting!!!

• sammyqc
    16 years ago

If you are looking for heirloom/rare varieties and in particular the oriental veggies, try Baker Creek. They have a really good selection of some crazy veggies, their prices are very good, and they ship quickly to Canada. I really like them, and what they stand for.
    http://www.rareseeds.com/

• plantenthusiast_2008
    16 years ago

Poppy88,

I recommend that you try your local garden centre; they should have racks and racks of seed. If you are looking for particular varieties, then you might try some of these online sites:

West Coast Seeds
    Thompson & Morgan
    Garden's North
    Chiltern's Seeds
    Plant World Seeds
    Fothergill's Seeds
    Van Dusen Seed Collector's Store

West Coast Seeds is the place to go for Organic Vegetable Seeds & Organic Seed Potatoes. I don't think that you are able to buy veg seeds (for Canada) from the UK sites, but they have a fantastic selection of flower seeds.

Good luck with your seeds,

-Plantenthusiast

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

Try the Canadian Gardening Exchange forum. Lots of gardeners in Canada have morning glories. I have some myself, but just the plain varieties.

• raptorfan
    16 years ago

I go to Seedy Sat in March because I grow heirlooms and a bunch of suppliers I like are there so it saves on shipping & I get to browse! Two of my favs are The Cottage Gardener & Terra Edibles.