Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

I'm going squirrely - it's early!

User
12 years ago

Is it just me or do any other seed starters out there have spring fever? I know, I know. It's not even January (tomorrow). I've placed one order with Thompson & Morgans already, started listing for seed trading and scouring seed catalogs.

Outside is a coating of freezing rain, inside the woodstove is crackling away and my cat is snoozing in the window area. And I want to see spring now.

What's a girl to do? Clean. Spring clean. Call me a nutter but I just have to do something. Yes we're having friends for dinner tonight but that's just dinner. I want dirt. Lots of it! So I'm washing my floors and working on my spare room where I grow my seedlings. It needs an overhaul so I can be ready.

Also a great time to haul out every last seed I have saved from this year (there's more than what I've recently listed on my list). Take inventory. Sort out trades, keeps. Had a fall "slump" with the dark days so I still have last winters seed trays to wash out. I do wash them with hot soapy water. Then I spray with straight vinegar and let them dry. I'm not into harsh chemicals.

Let's talk gardening, shall we? I'm going to tell you about my new piece of canvass I'm on. Last year we built a new home on 47 acres of mixed land - mixed forest, some marshy pond/water system in the back and a few old farm fields now turning into early forest with scrub brush and a scattering of trees.

Last year I focused around the house on either side and back. Just used the soil as it was. This year we're getting a truckload of seasoned manure and I'll be digging it into my veggie beds, flower beds and new beds.

I had a bumper crop of tomato, hot peppers, parsley, celery. Transplanted my first seed starts from last winter - lupins, dwarf goblin gaillardia, jacob's ladder, munstead lavender, anise hyssop - probably more I can't think of. Had fun with annuals such as cosmos, bachelor buttons. tom thumb. Bought some loveage, horseradish, old antique roses (thorny, deer proof). Acorn squash grew well too.

Must note that it was hard in the heat wave since the soil badly needs compost and manure added to it to help retain moisture. We have some house wrap left from the home build which I've been tacking down along garden pathways that I've cleared. Will be continuing that this year.

Did order a truckload of topsoil - sure, country topsoil that was loaded with weed seeds. Thanks a lot. This spring I'll be ripping out big weeds over the septic area. Weeds all around the areas where I spread the dirt but did not garden - thanks a lot. Will be using a lot of black plastic, cardboard boxes to cover stuff to kill weeds.

Each year will get better for the weed control. I'm very excited right now just thinking about my perennials I started last year that will be moved into their permanent locations from their first summer planting - with exception of my lupines. I will be gingerly scraping away some dirt and putting mixed compost/manure around them. They suffered greatly with our high heat last summer. Lost a few and will be starting more this winter.

Also never did transplant my asparagus (transplanted seedlings into the plastic top you get on cakes in the store - those big tall plastic flat topped domes). They will get a proper spot in the garden this year. And I have a whole tray of shasta daisies still in their starter tray that I never got planted. They are inside right now - I'm transplanting them into individual pots to grow on this winter. I expect they will be fine next spring when transplanted.

See - I'm feeling much better already just yakking dirt. But I have to get moving - almost 11am. Need to get a few things out of the freezer and I really want to start the new year with a clean floor before it starts throwing the wash bucket and mop at me. I tell ya houses can be really brutal when they want to be cleaned. But I do love the freshness.

How did your garden grow last year? Do tell! I'm starving for garden stories. LOL.

Cheers, and

Happy New Year!

Peggy

Comments (7)

• Crafty Gardener
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've been organizing my seeds at myfolia.com and started doing some trades. I've signed out some gardening books from the library to read and get ideas from.
    I'm looking forward to doing more gardening as last year I had knee replacement surgery in May and it curtailed my gardening. I've had to rethink how I do some things and I'm itching to get started.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Craftygardener,

I'm already reading your blog - been cruising GW. Fantastic version on the 12 Days of Xmas. Great colours on your afghan....okay I'm still over there now so I'd better post this.

Highly recommended to go for a visit!

Cheers,
    Peggy

• Crafty Gardener
    12 years ago

Thanks for visiting my blog Peggy. It is another of my hobbies to pass away winter hours.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay! It's cold but sunny today. I'm spring cleaning my spare room today - yup. Charity and garbage already in progress. I can see floor! (If you saw this room since the fall you'd understand....) Whoooooohoooo. Even found another container of garden seeds.

Pulled out stuff to wash tomorrow in the tub - my seed starting flats (I do indoor), my garden solar light parts.

There is a walk in closet without any hardware in it - so I use it to store totes (labeled for my own sanity). I've put the xmas stuff in the back bottom. Found more stuff to go out. And moving clutter back into their appropriate places from xmas crafting. Sorting a few things just chucked there for whatever reason. I don't have a basement, this room has been a fill in but needs an overhaul. Feels good to finally be at it. Actually going to enjoy running the vacuum, dusting and wiping down surfaces.

Might be early Jan - to me it's never to early to start prepping my planting room. It's super sunny and I have my outdoor plant green house (4 shelf unit) set up by the static patio door. Some plants are already on there. Last winter into spring that room was bursting with my babies on any surface available.

The other reason for the spring clean is my friend is giving me 2 wall storage units that are low and fit under my side windows. Perfect for storing my stuff in the lower cupboards, top area for seed starts and gardening stuff until the spring. No more tripping over stuff.

What are you doing now?

Cheers,
    Peggy

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Peggy ~ You sure sound busy. Good therapy I always say! I have been doing seed inventory and browsing through seed catalogues (not that I need any more) but fun to do just the same. In the midst of all this, I seem to have misplaced quite a few seeds. I simply cannot remember where I put my tomato stash, sunflowers, nasturtium and grains. Hmmmm. Of course they could be almost anywhere in this over crowded, packed to the ceiling old house and I am sure they will show up. In the meantime, I am in the garage also throwing out junk and sorting bins so I can get my decorations I made this year into the garage for storage. Such fun!

I go to bed at night with 3 shelties and a stack of garden books to keep me warm in the basement of this old house. Kinda like my cave. I actually really like to just do my planning and thinking down in the dungeon until the sun is up. It is quiet and all mine!

I think I will start some seeds under lights and do some winter sowing in the next couple of weeks. Shuffle around a few plants that have been wintering in the house and order a few more seeds for spring starts. We have had almost no snow here yet and unseasonably warm weather so my body is rather confused. I miss the snow and cold as it helps to keep my seasonal rhythm in time. Perhaps it is still coming and terribly late. *sigh*

Working on organizing my fabric stash and getting things cleared out to sell the house.

That's it for this old house right now. Hope everyone had a good new year and that 2012 will be even better than the last.

Namaste

Ginny

• xaroline
    12 years ago

Yep! organized the seeds and ordered more.
    Now onto cleaning the house,-- and getting it ready to sell when
    prices are good.
    Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer so will try a shovel in the ground.
    There will likely be a lot of winter kill this year.
    Caroline

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

I planted my daylily and iris seeds the other day. The daylilies are starting to grow already! I've ordered seeds from Dams and The Cottage Gardener. As soon as they come I will be starting onions, leeks and celeriac. I say it's never to early to start something! Marg