Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmyjojo

Anybody want Hummingbirds to visit their Garden?

jimmyjojo
17 years ago

If you have ever tried to attract hummingbirds and been frustrated with zero results, you're not alone. I've been there and I know the problems you're having. But now I get hummingbirds every year and they stay in my yard from May till October.

I have lots of seeds for a salvia the hummingbirds just love and information on how to attract them. Post your question or seed request, or email me.

Don't go another summer without the crown jewels of the garden!

Comments (27)

• newbi
    17 years ago

I would love to try this salvia. Do you have pictures of it in your garden? I have sent you an e-mail.

Lisa

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    17 years ago

The hummers we get in our garden seem to focus on the Crocosmia and the Honeysuckle we have.

• marricgardens
    17 years ago

We have had one hummer come every summer. This year he decided to bring his mate with him. They are attracted to mainly the red Maltese Cross,I was surprised because i thought they only liked tubular flowers, they also like the Malvas, 'Summer Skies' Delphininium and this year they visited the petunias for a change. Do you have a picture of the Salvia you have in your garden? I am always interested in different plants to bring hummers into my garden. One other plant i bought that they like is the 'Scorpion' Bee Balm. Marric

• demolition
    17 years ago

Our aunt has the red bee balm and when we were visiting this past summer they came non-stop. I got some and am hoping for the same results.

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Demolition, send me an email if you'd like some Salvia coccinea (Texas Native) seed or any others. I have a lot of other hummingbird plants and seeds besides that one. And a few I haven't had time to add to my lists.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Group

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

We get lots of hummers in our gardens. I grow many plants to attract them including red canna, bee balm, salvia and many more red flowers. I've stopped by to join the group you mentioned.

• gardengal55
    17 years ago

Jimmy, You have mail :)

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Craftygardener, Thanks for doing that! I'm sure it's going to be a lot of Fun this winter writing about and reading everybody's hummingbird adventures, and we might even learn a thing or two :^D

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    17 years ago

had a few hummers the last couple of years. i definetly would like to see more. a friend of mine has the liquid feeders around her yard, that seems to attract alot of hummers as well. i already grow alot of the plants mentioned above.. help !!

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, Thorn_grower I forgot about this post. Yes, please do have a look at "My Page". I put a link there and some useful info.

• ladybug6a
    17 years ago

Hi jimmyjojo,
    remember me (Karin) you send me seeds beginning of the year. They all germinated......about 500 give or take a few. Thank you so much again. My humminbirds will love you, because I will tell them who send me the seeds....

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure I remember you Karin. 500? Be sure to collect 5 million seeds :D for all the GWers!

Keep in touch too, our group plans to have even more varieties of seeds to trade this fall. If you can believe it.

Good Growing!

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We've had hummingbirds all summer and still do. But you gotta have the right flowers ;)

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi.
    I would like bright, very colourful Hummingbirds to visit my garden.Those common in Ontario are so ugly,that i used to call them flying mice.I had a mass of them and finally got rid of them.They like Hardy Hibiscus and Cleome and very tall at least 5' flowering plants.

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ugly? A mass of them and finally got rid of them? flying mice?

Lady, you might not think you're CRAZY. But you ARE!

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi jimmyjojo.
    Thank you for showing your colour.

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Madam you are strange and you make me uncomfortable. Go be loopy on your own thread, please.

• hostaaud
    16 years ago

My thoughts too jimmy,

Mass of them? Ugly? and flying mice?

I'm wondering how she got *rid* of them. I hope she sent them my way. :-)

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:545182}}

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:545183}}

• hostaaud
    16 years ago

Our beautiful little ruby throated friend.

I now have a hummingbird freeway in my backyard as they make their way down the migration trail. It's nice to see so many of them.

Thanks for the gorgeous pictures Jimmy.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Those are great photos Jimmy! How the heck did you catch one?

I think my hummers have made their trip back south, I haven't seen any around for a week now.

Btw, those Salvia praeclara that you sent me are just now putting on a great show but the hummers are not even here to enjoy them but I sure am!

Sharon

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I would never catch one that's illegal unless you're licensed by Wildlife services. Those are pictures from a hummingbird festival where trained banders will let people take a quick picture after banding and right before they release them.

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I was trying to post this link.

Hummingbird Video

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

that video is amazing!!

• barbt
    16 years ago

those photos are just stunning! wish I lived in a hummingbird area ..

• jimmyjojo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're in downtown Toronto, eh?

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area