Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody want Hummingbirds to visit their Garden?

Posted by jimmyjojo 5b S/Ontario Canada (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 16, 06 at 11:53

If you have ever tried to attract hummingbirds and been frustrated with zero results, you're not alone. I've been there and I know the problems you're having. But now I get hummingbirds every year and they stay in my yard from May till October.

I have lots of seeds for a salvia the hummingbirds just love and information on how to attract them. Post your question or seed request, or email me.

Don't go another summer without the crown jewels of the garden!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody want Hummingbirds to visit their Garden?

I would love to try this salvia. Do you have pictures of it in your garden? I have sent you an e-mail.

Lisa

o

The hummers we get in our garden seem to focus on the Crocosmia and the Honeysuckle we have.

o

• Posted by marric Z5b Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 23, 06 at 9:03

We have had one hummer come every summer. This year he decided to bring his mate with him. They are attracted to mainly the red Maltese Cross,I was surprised because i thought they only liked tubular flowers, they also like the Malvas, 'Summer Skies' Delphininium and this year they visited the petunias for a change. Do you have a picture of the Salvia you have in your garden? I am always interested in different plants to bring hummers into my garden. One other plant i bought that they like is the 'Scorpion' Bee Balm. Marric

o

Our aunt has the red bee balm and when we were visiting this past summer they came non-stop. I got some and am hoping for the same results.

o

Hi Demolition, send me an email if you'd like some Salvia coccinea (Texas Native) seed or any others. I have a lot of other hummingbird plants and seeds besides that one. And a few I haven't had time to add to my lists.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Group

o

We get lots of hummers in our gardens. I grow many plants to attract them including red canna, bee balm, salvia and many more red flowers. I've stopped by to join the group you mentioned.

o

Jimmy, You have mail :)

o

Hi Craftygardener, Thanks for doing that! I'm sure it's going to be a lot of Fun this winter writing about and reading everybody's hummingbird adventures, and we might even learn a thing or two :^D

o

had a few hummers the last couple of years. i definetly would like to see more. a friend of mine has the liquid feeders around her yard, that seems to attract alot of hummers as well. i already grow alot of the plants mentioned above.. help !!

o

Sorry, Thorn_grower I forgot about this post. Yes, please do have a look at "My Page". I put a link there and some useful info.

o

Hi jimmyjojo,
remember me (Karin) you send me seeds beginning of the year. They all germinated......about 500 give or take a few. Thank you so much again. My humminbirds will love you, because I will tell them who send me the seeds....

o

Sure I remember you Karin. 500? Be sure to collect 5 million seeds :D for all the GWers!

Keep in touch too, our group plans to have even more varieties of seeds to trade this fall. If you can believe it.

Good Growing!

o

We've had hummingbirds all summer and still do. But you gotta have the right flowers ;)

o

Hi.
I would like bright, very colourful Hummingbirds to visit my garden.Those common in Ontario are so ugly,that i used to call them flying mice.I had a mass of them and finally got rid of them.They like Hardy Hibiscus and Cleome and very tall at least 5' flowering plants.

o

Ugly? A mass of them and finally got rid of them? flying mice?

Lady, you might not think you're CRAZY. But you ARE!

o

Hi jimmyjojo.
Thank you for showing your colour.

o

Madam you are strange and you make me uncomfortable. Go be loopy on your own thread, please.

o

My thoughts too jimmy,

Mass of them? Ugly? and flying mice?

I'm wondering how she got *rid* of them. I hope she sent them my way. :-)

o

o
RE:Anybody want Hummingbirds to visit their Garden?

o

Our beautiful little ruby throated friend.

I now have a hummingbird freeway in my backyard as they make their way down the migration trail. It's nice to see so many of them.

Thanks for the gorgeous pictures Jimmy.

o

Those are great photos Jimmy! How the heck did you catch one?

I think my hummers have made their trip back south, I haven't seen any around for a week now.

Btw, those Salvia praeclara that you sent me are just now putting on a great show but the hummers are not even here to enjoy them but I sure am!

Sharon

o

Oh, I would never catch one that's illegal unless you're licensed by Wildlife services. Those are pictures from a hummingbird festival where trained banders will let people take a quick picture after banding and right before they release them.

o

o
RE: Anybody Want Hummingbirds to visit their Garden?

Sorry I was trying to post this link.

Hummingbird Video

o

that video is amazing!!

o

those photos are just stunning! wish I lived in a hummingbird area ..

o

You're in downtown Toronto, eh?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here