Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barrier for new garden plot against chain link fence

Posted by indyspirit 3a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 12:04

Hello,

I have a chain link fence around my backyard, and next spring I want to put in a garden plot that backs up right to the fence. The new plot will have soil about 6 to 8 inches high, so I need to put something up against the chain link fence to contain the dirt. Budget is an issue, so cedar is probably too expensive.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barrier for new garden plot against chain link fence

How about bricks, even used ones? I've seen quite attractive borders using rows of slanted bricks leaning against each other, half buried into the soil.

o

Hey, good idea! Thanks!

o

I have used 4x4 lumber before which worked. The issue I have with mere bricks is the way grass starts to invade the bed thru the crack and then it becomes a battle. I've done the brick route too before I decided the sunken lumber worked better. However if what you like is more for aesthetic reasons, go ahead with the bricks.

o

I suggest you don't put your garden right up against the fence. Put a path there instead. Then you can make your garden plot 3.5' - 4' deep and still be able reach into the centre to weed and plant--you need an arm's length from each side. Use whatever material you like for the path/garden border-- grass from the other side of the fence won't be an issue.

o

If the bed is only 8 inches high, I would not put anything agaisnt the fence. Just slope the garden bed to the fence. You will only loose a couple of inches of higher bed.

If you really want to go all the way back, use pressuretreated 2x 8 boards. A bit of scrounging and you can probably find some used ones for next to nothing.

o

I'm with Bev, leave a path of lawn between the bed and the fence.
Not only does it leave you an area that you can keep clean and attractive, it does let you cultivate to all edges.
It also tells your neighbour you are not encroaching on her side of the fence which will happen if you put built-up soil on your side.

Wood boarding can delineate edging near the fence and keep the soil in. Cutting the lawn there with a straight down edge can give a nice formal look if you wish to avoid any kind of edging material.
Rocks or stones can also be considered. Bricks put at a 45� angle can be an attractive addition.

o

Hi,
I have a garden like that. I put railway ties against the fence. They work well and have been there for about 20 years. The yard was firstly for my kids and then my dogs. Putting a pathway along it doesn't let you grow anything like clematis or other vines up the fence. A waste of that space if you ask me and those plants cover your fence so you don't even know it's there. If you don't put anything but soil along the fence the soil will migrate through the fence to the other side. You will have weeds etc growing there. And the fencing will bend out of shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here