Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens niamniamensis

Posted by runningtrails 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 10, 08 at 12:16

Does anyone grow impatiens niamniamensis? I have just discovered it. I grow a few other impatiens varieties and would love to grow this one too. I searched the seed exchange pages for the entire GW and no one has it.

Will it grow to flower and seed here in Ontario, as the others do or does it need a longer growing season?

I would gladly exchange a few impatiens glandulifera seeds for some of seeds from the niamniamensis variety.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens niamniamensis

If all else fails and you can't find seed, Brugmasias etc. in B.C. lists this plant in their catalog. Hope this helps. A

o

I saw this listed, in Dominion Seed House's paper catalogue, page N-9, Item # 53-3250-980. It states the plant is also called "Congo Cockatoo" and it produces an abundance of unusual flowers with vivid contrasting colors of bright yellow and scarlet red. It says it's a fast, easy growing plant and blooms May to October.

Anyways, they are selling it as a plant only (as opposed to selling seed for it) for $9.00. If it's like some of the other types of impatiens, perhaps you can save seed after the first year or it will self-sow.

Dominion seed house also has a website. Not sure if the plant is listed on there but you can request a catalogue:

www.dominion-seed-house.com

Regards,
Glenn

o

Thanks all for the info. I really want seeds, not a plant as that is a bit too expensive for me. I'll search for "Congo Cockatoo" and see what I find.

o

I grew it last summer and it didn't set any seeds that I could see. I do still have the parent plant indoors, where it is so far surviving if not thriving. Are you in the London area? If not maybe I could try sending a cutting in the mail (once warmer weather returns of course!)

o

I would love a slip in the mail. Thank yo so much. I'll send you an email. Odd that it didn't set seeds. Perhaps, since I'll be starting it early indoors, it will have time to set seeds this coming summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here