Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Henry Field's catalogue

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 30, 09 at 12:38

I received this catalogue yesterday. I checked with GardenWatchdog and the one in the U.S. has some positive ratings but the one in Ontario has quite a few negative ratings. I was wondering if anyone has ever bought anything from them? What was your experience? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Henry Field's catalogue

• Posted by bev_w 6a Vienna ON (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 10:49

Hi,

Last year I checked out this company's web site, since it hadn't been on my (very acute!) seed radar. I thought it looked too "corporate" and didn't have anything really interesting. Having read your post I did a little research:

http://www.saveseeds.org/biography/field/index.html

Here are the last two paragraphs of the page linked above:
In 1991, Field's was purchased by a private direct marketing firm own by Don Krumel. The business was then sold to Foster & Gallagher, Inc., of Illinois in 1999. Foster & Gallagher, Inc. purchased a lot of the old, well established company names - Breck's Bulbs, Gurney's, Michigan Bulb Company, New Holland Bulbs, Spring Hill Nursery, Stark Brothers, Garden Solutions (an online storefront featuring Brecks, Spring Hill, Henry Fields, Gurney's, and Stark Bros. brand names).

In July of 2001, Foster & Gallagher, Inc. filed for bankruptcy. On October 26, 2001, a new company, Scarlet Tanager Holdings, LLC, owned by Niles Kinerk, located in Greendale, Indiana, emerged as the owner of the registered trade name of Henry Fields (as well as the other Foster & Gallagher, Inc. holdings).

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 11:10

Thanks for the info Bev.

o

Very interesting to get the true factual background of some of these fancy catalogue producers. I was always leery of ordering from Breck's Bulbs or Spring Hill Nursery. Now I know why.

Speaking of catalogues, I received one from Richter's in Goodwood, Ontario and am very tempted to order a few things from them. They specialize in herbs, but have some other plants, seeds, books, etc. I went there once, a few years ago, to shop in person, but it is a two hour drive for me, so cheaper to use mail-order. For any of you in the area (sort of northeast of Toronto) it is well worth the drive. My friend and I also went to Marjorie Mason's well-run nursery which is nearby, so it made it worth the trip for us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here