Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Share your experience growing anemone&hibiscus from seeds

Posted by mari11 z5a Toronto (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 17:13

I've got anemone and perennial hibiscus seeds from Autumn Seed Swap. What's the best way to grow them?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Share your experience growing anemone&hibiscus from seeds

I haven't grown anemone from seed, but I have grown a few hibiscus. I have had them reseed in my garden, so I knew they were a good candidate for winter sowing. When I got some seeds of different colours, I did that and was very successful.

Hope you have success with them. :) Lucky you to have received your swap package already!! :-)

o

I wintersow my perennial hibiscus seed. I have never grown anemone but if I had seeds I would probably go ahead and w/s it to - I w/s nearly everything except tender annuals.

o

Try looking up the genus and species of each here for their germination method.
http://www.onrockgarden.com/germination-guide/plants

o

• Posted by wmc1 s/w Ontario Sarnia (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 19:47

Never bothered w/s hibiscus (just Rose of Sharon), I sow in spring, wrap in wet paper towel until they germinate and then sow in pots or ground.

o

I have had very good success winter sowing perennial hibiscus: large pink and luna red. I just cut them back in the fall and they come back fairly late in the spring. Same treatment for Rose of Sharon. I have also winter sowed anemone, but it took me 3 tries before I was successful. Could have been the seed source which were private swaps. Lovely plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here