Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny spiders on houseplants, spider mites?

Posted by plantkiller (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 07 at 18:31

I don't know if I'm in the right place or not but in terms of finding the 'most appropriate forum' I looked and looked but I couldn't find one on houseplants... at least I'm in the canadian forum? so yeah, please don't delete me, I really don't want my plants to die and I need some info... lol.

Ok, I have a wide variety of potted plants in the house (over the winter, they live on the deck in the summer) and 2 of my wild plants recently died. Before their untimely death they had tiny tiny spiders crawling around in the pot and spinning tiny tiny webs... I isolated them and killed all the little buggars but they died anyway, now my massive jade plant has tiny tiny spiders with tiny tiny webs...

are these 'spider mites' and are they killing my plants?
please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny spiders on houseplants, spider mites?

well, I just looked at some pictures of spider mites and from what I can tell they all seem to be yellow or orange... the ones on my plants are actually grey/brown.. they just look like little spiders... any insight would be appriciated...

o

Spider mites are barely visible with the naked eye. Usually the back of the leaves on affected plants will feel gritty. By the time the webs appear you have a full blown case. Check the back of the leaves with a magnifying glass.
I've had good results with spraying the plants with insecticidal soap, such as Safer's or using Trounce, also made by Safer's. Yes, spider mites will kill your plant if you let them.

Here's a link to the houseplant forum. There are very some knowledgeable people there who will surely give you good advice. I don't know how to make it a clickable link; you'll have to copy and paste.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/houseplt/

Good luck with your plants.

o

my houseplants have suffered from scales and so what I had done is use insectical soap. However since these pests (all types) do travel from one plant to another, I decided to envelop all of them in large plastic bags before spraying to ensure I got every and each bugger. I suggest you use the same methods before gassing them. It's easier and also should be a one time process only.

Ianna

o

ok, thanks very much. I will check the houseplant forum and give spraying them a try. I can actually see them though, they are visible but very small spiders... maybe they are super-mites. lol.
thanks again. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here