Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judith5bmontreal

Old Heirloom Roses Halifax

judith5bmontreal
15 years ago

Anyone here ever order anything from Old Heirloom Roses in Halifax? Their website never seems to be updated properly. Are they still in business? Thanks.

Judith

Comments (10)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Judith,

I heard of them a few years back when I still had an interest in roses, but haven't heard about them since, even locally - I'm in the Halifax Regional Municipality.

I would be very wary of a place which does not upkeep it's website.

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

They also don't answer emails. I've tried twice.

Sharon

• judith5bmontreal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the warnings. Too bad, because they seem to have quite a few interesting roses, and they're own root, which is what caught my eye. Oh well, it's better that I don't order anything more this year anyway!

Judith

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Judith, try Corn Hill Nursery, they have own root roses.

• judith5bmontreal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion of Ãorn Hill Nursery - I have ordered several roses from them in the past, and they were great. But I was interested in English Roses on their own roots - thought I would give them a try. Oh well...
    Judith

• hammonds_ns
    15 years ago

Hi Judith,

I can provide you with some context about Old Heirloom Roses because I live in the Hammonds Plains, NS area where they are located and drive by everyday - they are not a 'company' per se, it is simply a man operating out of a very small house and while he calls it a 'farm' his property is smaller than what I own (just over 2 acres). Of this, he only has a small fenced in area where I saw he kept his plants in the spring and summer. He was active all last spring and summer but everything has been closed since the fall. Hope this helps...

• tcskitten
    15 years ago

I wanted to to let everyone know that Old heirloom Roses IS still alive and well!
    Since its start, it has used yahoo for its website. Unfortunately it has not been working well ie your various comments.
    The owners are undergoing a MASSIVE web change over to Aliant. The owner is working hard to have the new web site up and completed by end of February 2009.
    I have been a patron here for many years.... and can't say enough for their plants. Their practise to grow plants directly out of doors, makes for hardy acclimatized plants.
    Some of your emails may have gone array during this change over.... so please re-email her. Also, a new feature she will be have ... is "an auto respond"... they are also hoping to implement new payment options.
    Hope my phone call has helped you all.

• judith5bmontreal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I just noticed your responses - I thought this post was long gone!
    Hammonds, it doesn't look too promising from what you have said, so I don't think I will take a chance. Even if they are re-doing their website, I will definitely wait until they get themselves re-established and there is some positive feedback on their roses. Thanks,
    Judith

• tcskitten
    15 years ago

I'll be frequenting it this spring... I'll let you know it looks, if you'd like.

Happy gardening Judith... :)

Faye

• grow-it
    15 years ago

The farm is over 2 acres at that location. There are over 2 thousand roses growing there from cutting and all on their own roots also some 600 daylilies.
    There is a small fenced area for the housing of the potted plants for sale. We are a small family business usually only have one or two people there at a time.
    We have been updated the website off an on but have had many troubles with the web hosting company so now we are in a change over. The new site should be up by the end of February.
    Please make sure a good, correct email address is put on the contact us form and we will get back to you within a few days.
    The farm is opened to the public for only three months a year as we are mainly mail order.
    Hope this helps clear up a few misunderstandings. We'd love to hear from any one on the subject of roses. They have been my lifes work as a seasoned horticulturalist of many years.
    Cheers to all. Happy Dreams of summer gardening. PAP

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor