Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mari11_gw

Shipping plants from USA?

Mari11
11 years ago

Have you ever brought/shipped plants from US? Could you please share your experience? What I need to know before trying it? (I am looking to order some nice houseplants from US nurseries. Logee's seems like agree to ship to Canada, others don't, so I need to go there to pick up plants.)

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

I would love to hear information about this as well

I am in Florida for the winter and would love to bring plants back home across the border, but still seems a no no.

I always think it is dumb as in Europe anything can be brought from one country to another with no paperwork, inspection or such

• sensiblegardening
    11 years ago

Trying to bring plants across the border as an individual is a nightmare. The best way is to order from a supplier that ships to Canada. However, because it takes up to 2 or 3 weeks for the process to complete, be prepared for some rather sad looking specimens when they arrive. You will have to do some serious babysitting. Of course, some plants ship better than others so do your homework.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passports for Pants

• mattdew9
    11 years ago

Even I want to know about this.

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

I have ordered daylilies from 2 places in New York State for the last 3 years. They are shipped bare root. They have come UPS for the most part. It works well and they arrive in 2 or 3 days. They do have to clear customs.
    Sometimes I have had to pay for a broker and GST and sometimes not-it is just the luck of the draw. I have found this with other things than plants as well and with either USPS or UPS. But things shipped USPS can get stuck there a long time so not a good choice for plants.
    The daylilies require a phyto form which means they are inspected at the sellers before they leave there(for some kind of Moth I think). I have paid various amounts for this but I think they are both $25 now. Some places have a county inspector and some have a state inspector( or is it State and federal?)which costs more. I have read about various amounts for Phytos in different states so maybe that explains the difference.
    Sorry I don't know about any other plants. The seller/ breeders should know about import rules for Canada if they do it on a regular basis. Many won't send plants here because they don't want to go to the trouble of inspections. I agree it is a pain but there are states in the US that other states can't even send stuff to if I understand things correctly.

• tamatik
    11 years ago

I have ordered dormant cuttings and they have always arrived.. however, the shipper also tells me that sometimes they get stopped at the border and sometimes rejected. as stated.. luck of the draw.
    he also labels them as craft sticks, which, basically, they are.. short piece of wood that he used a knife to make shorter.. a craft stick.
    he clearly states that, once leave his possession, they become your responsibility and he cannot be held accountable for border problems. rightfully so.

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

thanks for the info
    All
    I still say it is dumb.

Craft sticks EH?
    interesting

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting