Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Canna Lilly Web Pests

Posted by leshamilton1 TN (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 16:31

This is my first year to try cannas. They have beautiful red blooms, but the leaves on my plants will not unfurl and whenever I unfurl them myself, there is a web like from a spider inside the leaf and small worms and a very messy interior. How do I get rid of these pests and what pesticide, if any, should I use. I have thought of cutting them completely down and letting them start over; however, figured someone else may have had the same problem and could help with this problem. I would appreciate any help, as in the FAQ section of the web page, it only tells about the problem, not what to do about it. Can someone help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Canna Lilly Web Pests

They are leaf rollers. Malatheon should do the trick. For me, they are worst in early spring when the plants are just getting started. I police the plants every evening. The worms are small and white, about 1/2" long. Once the plants get bigger the leaf rollers are'nt much of a problem for me.

o

For Southlatropical 9 - many thanks for your response. This is my first time to try cannas and I am not sure I will continue. At least now I know what the pests are and how to eliminate them; however, my plants are at least 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 feet high and I am still being bombarded by leaf rollers. Obviously here in Tennessee, they are much harder to control than in South Louisiana. By the way, I was born and raised in LA, near Lake Charles and DeRidder. Good to hear from you.

o

You can use trichogramma wasps (they don't sting us; they're microscopic) or BT, which is bacillus therengensis or something spelled sort of like that, if you don't want to use a toxin.

Hang in there;
cut off the misshapen leaves & let your cannas start over;
I bet there's still time for a new batch of leaves & maybe blooms this year.

& once you get rid of one generation of canna leaf rollers, it's much easier to control them in the future.

o

sylviatexas, I have noticed red wasps hanging out around my cannas on a regular basis. Do red wasps also hunt down leaf rollers? I saw one hovering slowly with what appeared to be a small caterpillar in it's grasp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here